Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough

A couple noob questions

Hey guys, I am watching Jeff Glover deep half guard DVD 2, and specifically the tournament footage from the Pan-American games.

Just wondering, do you guys wear a cup when you compete? Does everyone?
    Also, I see in the footage that Jeff is wearing two belts: One is either brown or black, and the other is alternating yellow and green. What's that all about?

Thanks

Array

School
    Fusion MMA. Clyde, NY
    cups are a good thing but uncomfortable and the yellow/green belt is used when both players have the same gi color and belt

Array

School
    Thanks. I can see a cup being a real pain in the ass with 10P style JJ.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    From my understanding, the world no gi tourney in long beach has a no cup rule. So preparing for that tournament, I stopped wearing the cup. Oddly I don't wear the cup anymore, but from time to time I'll pay the price. Most recently at HQ, when rolling with Dempsey.
    The cup can give an unfair advantage it you use it right. Have you ever but someone in a triangle and they tapped out of pain from the cup? Also, your arm bars will be applied on a seesaw when you have a cup- makes for an easier to attain armbar.
    I pretty much practice without a cup because, if I ever get in a self defense scenario on the street(I hope that doesn't happen), I don't want to say, "please wait while I put my cup on".
    On the flipside, Bollinger has mentioned of two incidents in which he saw guys have to get ball removal. I dunno, there's pros and cons to everything we do. Praciticing knife self defense, one can get their eye poked out by a wooden knife. Should we wear eye patches, or not train altogether?

Array

School
    Yeah there are always inherent risks to any martial art or extreme sport. But we do it 'cause we love it. I don't want to get a ball crushed, but I am a long way away from tournament fighting anyways, so no worries right now. I still need to get a mouthpiece for that matter.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post
    Yeah there are always inherent risks to any martial art or extreme sport. But we do it 'cause we love it. I don't want to get a ball crushed, but I am a long way away from tournament fighting anyways, so no worries right now. I still need to get a mouthpiece for that matter.
    True this. Getting crushed balls sucks. At the less extreme, its that hurtful stomach ache we've all experienced. The most exteme end is a ball less.
    Some people choose painting as their art. Others choose to write poetry. My art is a Martial art called jiu jitsu. And yes, I love to do this. I just gotta watch my balls. If I feel a knee slice guard opening, I react proactively and not reactively.

My cup is like Green Lantern's ring and Iron Mans armor, its where i get my strength from.

Array

School
    The Hurt Factory
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody Kietzman View Post
    My cup is like Green Lantern's ring and Iron Mans armor, its where i get my strength from.
    +1 bout to buy a steel one

Array

School
    Hmm. Maybe I should have made this a poll thread....