Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Montreal

Wearing your 10th Planet Belt in a Gi Class at another School (Tristar)?

Hi folks,

I know that the consensus is that if you're belted from another school and come to 10th Planet then you're considered that belt. How do people generally feel about the other way around?

I haven't trained for a while (4 to 5 months or so) and I found an old coupon to go to Tristar for 20 classes for $20. Should I wear my blue belt if I go there? Since I don't train gi I'm a little worried of not representing 10th Planet very well. I've rolled in the gi less than a dozen classes.

Thoughts?

Also, doesn't Zahabi dislike 10th Planet? I might be fabricating that from fragments inside my terrible memory.

Thanks folks!
    Shawn Murphy - aka - Mr. Fantastic

I feel that they are two different sports. It's like wearing ur bjj rank to judo

Array

School
    Charles Gracie Reno
    You should ask the instructor at the school you are visiting whether you should wear your 10th planet belt or not.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by RobSchwartz View Post
    You should ask the instructor at the school you are visiting whether you should wear your 10th planet belt or not.
    This will prob be your best bet. Every instructor is different. In the past when I would randomly drop in to a gi school I would just rock the white belt. Honestly its just to hold your jacket closed anyways. To me a belt is just recognition to an accomplishment so even if you wear the white belt you know where youre at regardless
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul
    White beltch...unless your ego will simply not allow it. And don't rock the white belt, but then tell people you're really a blue belt, this is equally douchey.

Array

School
    Infinite JJ
    I feel you should wear your belt, you are a blue belt regardless of school you got it at. Granted you may not be a blue belt level in gi chokes but you can still do no gi moves in gi and tap people. I tend to find the 10th planet blues I have rolled with are quite a bit better than the traditional gi blue belts. I think there is a higher expectation of what a blue belt is in 10th Planet than just BJJ.
    If you are going to join the gym then ask the instructor what he would like you to do.

Wear the blue belt. You earned it, so wear it proudly. Just explain you havn't trained in the gi much as you're from 10th Planet. I highly doubt they will marginalise you for that.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Redlands
    There's a long winded discussion in our internal board about this.
    It's just my opinion, and I've rolled with the likes of Marcel Lauzado, Sim Go, Mendes Bros., and a large number of brown belts in Gi(my gi experience is about 20 sessions, mind you, all with high level guys):
    A belt is a belt. You gain a level of knowledge the higher you advance.

I do believe the games are very similar. If a guy were only to train in gi, then cross over to nogi, he'll have to adjust to the speed and different handles. The same is true on the flip side- a nogi guy crossing over to gi will have to learn grips, but can also use what he loved in nogi... The handles, overlooks, etc.

So when I go up against the highest level guys in gi, I feel if I learn something and they are not catching me, why can't I say my belt level is not the same in gi. I think it comes down to a mindset. If you are a blue belt then rep like you are. There will be bumps along the way transitioning over, but in the end a sub is a sub. Own your submissions.

Array

School
    Charlotte Jiu Jitsu Academy
    Quote Originally Posted by brent_littell
    I feel that they are two different sports. It's like wearing ur bjj rank to judo
    I agree.

Array

School
    10th Planet Montreal
    Thanks for the feedback. Looks like there's lots of varying opinions on the subject. I've always been of the impression that they're two different sports but some people disagree. I suppose I could just ask the school. Problem is, I don't have a white belt, lol. Maybe I can borrow one (if the teacher's going to tell me to wear white).
    Shawn Murphy - aka - Mr. Fantastic

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast