Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Array

School
    ninthlevelmma, goldsboro, nc
    when I was teaching at another school, that was a new and seeking affiliation with nova uniao, charuto came in and did a couple of seminars and rolled with all the instructors. he then belted us based off of what he saw. I left that gym after the owner made a pass at my girlfriend.

So, just so I have this right, you challenged a guy to a street fight over an internet quibble? But the Brazilians are arrogant?

Dont get me wrong, its your call, but if the brown belt is the guy I think it is, why do you think a street fight will go any better than a grappling match?

Quote Originally Posted by frank-theman-james View Post
    God bless master Eddie and his humble approach to his art and its ability to grow even beyond himself. I hope one day that I do something so special that it will be given a name and added to the ever growing system that is 10th planet.
    Rarely do I get on this site and give my opinion on these types of threads (which most would consider trolling anyway) but after reading your post, I feel like I have to.

10th Planet JJ is a HUGE part of my life and so I feel it my personal duty to respectfully ask you to refrain from putting yourself into these situations while so called "repping" 10th Planet JJ.

Your post is wrought with misconceptions and generalities, but I don't have the time to dissect the whole thing, so I'll just get to my point.

10th Planet JJ is NOT against Brazilians. We do NOT find Brazilians to be arrogant in general and we do NOT prescribe to your idea of a "Brazilian Arrogance Legacy." We do in fact have some Brazilians who train with us and they are pretty awesome people.

We are also NOT against Gracie JJ. The Gracie's brought BJJ to the modern world and since we all love this sport, we owe them some respect for their gift to us. In fact, Eddie personally thanks each and every one of the Gracie family by name in his book "Jiu Jitsu Unleashed." If it wasn't for the Gracie's, 10th Planet JJ wouldn't exist.

One of the biggest reasons people continue to make incorrect assumptions about our school is because of people "repping" 10th Planet JJ like you did on the internet.

This video you speak of is not the first time a person will make a video claiming to be able to break the lock down, RG, etc. and it won't be the last.

Eddie is one of the most respectful and humble people that I have met in the BJJ community. People see posts like the one you listed here and unfairly tie us all in with the same kind of disrespectful ideology you posted.

On a personal note, as an actual student of 10th Planet JJ, I am not interested with how well someone can street fight. Street fighting proves very little and quite frankly, no matter what school the other instructor is from, if he is in fact a brown belt, he has put his time on the mat and should be given some shred of respect.

That would be truly "repping" 10th Planet JJ.

Just my 2 cents.

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Eisner View Post
    Rarely do I get on this site and give my opinion on these types of threads (which most would consider trolling anyway) but after reading your post, I feel like I have to.

10th Planet JJ is a HUGE part of my life and so I feel it my personal duty to respectfully ask you to refrain from putting yourself into these situations while so called "repping" 10th Planet JJ.

Your post is wrought with misconceptions and generalities, but I don't have the time to dissect the whole thing, so I'll just get to my point.

10th Planet JJ is NOT against Brazilians. We do NOT find Brazilians to be arrogant in general and we do NOT prescribe to your idea of a "Brazilian Arrogance Legacy." We do in fact have some Brazilians who train with us and they are pretty awesome people.

We are also NOT against Gracie JJ. The Gracie's brought BJJ to the modern world and since we all love this sport, we owe them some respect for their gift to us. In fact, Eddie personally thanks each and every one of the Gracie family by name in his book "Jiu Jitsu Unleashed." If it wasn't for the Gracie's, 10th Planet JJ wouldn't exist.

One of the biggest reasons people continue to make incorrect assumptions about our school is because of people "repping" 10th Planet JJ like you did on the internet.

This video you speak of is not the first time a person will make a video claiming to be able to break the lock down, RG, etc. and it won't be the last.

Eddie is one of the most respectful and humble people that I have met in the BJJ community. People see posts like the one you listed here and unfairly tie us all in with the same kind of disrespectful ideology you posted.

On a personal note, as an actual student of 10th Planet JJ, I am not interested with how well someone can street fight. Street fighting proves very little and quite frankly, no matter what school the other instructor is from, if he is in fact a brown belt, he has put his time on the mat and should be given some shred of respect.

That would be truly "repping" 10th Planet JJ.

Just my 2 cents.
    I couldn't agree with Jason more.

Frank, honestly, your thread title of "the brazilian arrogance legacy" is in itself, arrogant and offensive. I normally wouldn't both to point this out, but since you're out there as a self-appointed spokesperson for 10th Planet, let me tell you that grouping Gracie or Brazilians in general is insulting.

It wouldn't matter if you had a bad experience with every Brazilian you ever met - it still would be moronic to talk that way. And just for the record, out of all of the Brazilian I've ever met while doing JJ, I've not had a negative experience with one of them - not with the top guys like Saulo, Xande, Marcelo, Renzo, Royler, Cobrihna, Galvao, etc - and not with the younger guys coming up who are still polishing their games.

You don't speak for us - and getting into it with people on the internet leading up to street fight threats sounds a little immature for someone with your martial arts background and who is 42.

Trust me, and this attitude is embodied by Eddie himself, we don't care if people are negative towards any 10th Planet techniques, or if they are showing how they don't work (as demonstrated on someone who doesn't know what they're doing like Josh Barnett does from time to time) - just let it go and enjoy your own path in training.

I actually don't know anyone more positive than Eddie Bravo, who never has anything bad to say about anyone, no matter what their point of view is of Eddie and our system.

You wouldn't sit out in the ocean waiting for a wave at 6am and criticize the guys on the beach teaching newcomers to stand (even if you thought they were teaching it wrong) - you would just enjoy the peace and tranquility and wait for your own wave to ride - that's the attitude to have in jiu-jitsu.

In my opinion, 10th Planet is about open mindedness, and we rarely try to debate or worry what other people are doing - we simply let it go and work to be the best grapplers we can be.

I hope you change your mind and realize you may have overreacted - that happens and we can still welcome you into the family in the future if you have the right attitude. But at this point, based on your initial posts, you don't rep 10th Planet, you don't rep me, you don't rep my teammates - and don't claim to have anything to do with 10th Planet if you're going to start immature fights with people from other schools or be negative to the Gracies.

I wear my Gracie shorts proudly at 10th Planet HQ some days - right along with my 10th Planet rashguard - as it should be.

Array

School
    Basement, future hotbox Pure mma closed
    "I hope you change your mind and realize you may have overreacted"
    We all want to do good, but keep it Cool. We are not a cult, so acting like a bunch of secret agents doesn't help.So lets keep it at a level where all can connect. Should I send out a memo that those who start to believe in 10thpjj should pick a side and be ready to defend themselves at all times. Most of the young guys I meet love 10thpjj but do not have the funds to secure a book or find a real Ronin, " Okay, something I picked up from Ari, but you get the idea. Emotion can be a real attribute if you learn to accept it. When you start dictating rules about what Eddie embodies, then how can the rest of us tell him how we think, and maybe feel comfortable to explore how a true fighter reacts to battles. start to fully comprehend how a real fighter thinks and what he does. Just for the record, who made Graceie jj and Brazillian jj separate entities? Who gave bjj the right to call itself bjj, where did the division begin?

Anyhoo Some of you guys appear to act like the people we try not to become.. take a breather and think a little.

Array

School
    Eddie doesn't want to shake the boat.............When he has been shaking for so long that people forgot......ssshhhhuuuushhhh

Array

School
    If you wanna be the man, beat them at their own game like Diaz did to Knoons. Or challenge them to an mma match, that my friend is another story.

Array

School
    gracie barra niagara
    Quote Originally Posted by frank-theman-james View Post
    Recently I was on Facebook and one of my friends had posted a video of his instructor, a Royce Gracie purple belt, teaching how to break the lockdown. Being a 10th planet fan, I watched. As usual, he has a white belt put him in the lockdown and he begins his narrative on the how to's, and he easily passes. But what bothered me was that his uki just layed there and did nothing. He looked like a virgin on prom night. Sooo, I jumped on with my comment saying that here on eastern NC, we don't have a 10th planet school and hence his familiarity with the lockdown and other aspects of 10th planet system were limited and as he testified that he had beaten the lockdown in competition locally, the chance of him beating the lockdown was probably due to the same thing, inexperienced. I went on to say if he wanted to get to know the system to come to my seminar with guest instructor Neale hoerle. Well let me say my approach in retrospect sounded arrogant. And as soon as the first response came in, I realized how it could be perceived that way and I quickly responded with an apology to the instructor in the video as I knew him and gave a more thorough explanation of my point. Before I could get my reply posted, the Guy who assumed I was blasting the video was the video guys instructor, and someone I had rolled with a couple of years ago, a rgjj brown belt and very talented, had posted two more short post calling me a fraud and claiming that I had never competed in mma and furthermore a juijitsu tournament. He went on and even went as far as to say several other things that weren't true about me on some events in my personal life that he heard through rumors, all to discredit my critique of his student. I openly wrote that while he was entitled to his opinion, I was going to beat his ass when I saw him for the lies and attacking me the way he did on Facebook. His reply was for me and him to have a grappling match and settle it that way, which was echoed by several of his students along with insults. I told him no, I wanted the pleasure of beating his ass in the middle of the street with no rules and no ref. Which again was followed by insults. Here I was defending myself against all of these people all because they were friends with this Guy and didn't know me, as you can imagine as this forum can be unforgiving at times. I gave a listing of all the belts that I have in the different styles of martial arts, even being a white belt in the 10th planet working on my blue, which according to Neale is close (I hope) and that's when I caught hell from every direction. They dismissed my purple in jjj, they dismissed my purple in nubjj, and my black and two browns in three other traditional forms of karate, and they simply focused on a white belt telling a purple belt his technique was flawed and a brown belt he was going to kick his ass. The smartass comments flew in over and over.

Now let me explain something, first of all I'm 42 years old and I'm an old school street fighter that is 6'6" and 245 lbs. of don't give a shit attitude. I say what I want because with my size, 25 years of martial arts, and a lifetime of fighting in real life situations, I'm not scared of no man on this earth. I have been shot, stabbed, cut, and beaten on by you name it. I have been jumped and left for dead. I have been shocked back to life twice. I have competed in hundreds of sport karate tournaments, as recently as the first of this year. I'm not claiming to be Superman, but not a pussy either, if you follow me. And most importantly, I'm not an idiot. I'm not going to accept a grappling match with a superior opponent. That's like putting a college team against a pro team. Also after being so publicly insulted, I'm not in a friendly match sort of mind.

So I'll get to my point. I was ridiculed and talked shit to by every kid and adult that this Guy was friends with and discredited as irrelevant because I didn't have the experience to say what I said. My point being that in eastern NC, and up to a few Mons ago, unless you traveled 400 miles to the closest 10th planet school which was Kevin's in bear Delaware, the chances of running into someone executing the 10th planet system correctly were slim, and furthermore, teaching passes based of those inferior applications, would probably be better done after having a chance to experience the system by someone who is certified in the system. Right? And I was told every answer under the sun as to why 10th planet wasn't juijitsu to I still didn't know what I was talking about. They posted videos of the Guy competing and sure enough, the Guy does the lockdown ... or tries. He was in his knee joint and nowhere near his calf, he didn't try to stretch him out, and most importantly, he failed to get double unders. He basically used the lockdown as a leg trap and layed there while the video guy worked a foot in no hands pass, and after a couple of minutes he released his lockdown trap and went to just a grapevine squeeze which the video guy passed. Which made his lockdown break technique not even because by his own video proof, it wasn't a lockdown he broke but just a squeeze. Which I pointed out as proof to my point all along, and yet I still didn't know what I was talking about because of my inexperience, which is my point here. If I am the only guy in the conversation who has actually trained with certified instructor in 10th planet jj, am I more experienced than someone who hasn't but has trained in another grappling style? And it dawned on me that mentality that I had been handed down directly from the Gracie's themselves. Listen to any interview with any Gracie and even after a defeat, they still talk around there own shortcomings.

God bless master Eddie and his humble approach to his art and its ability to grow even beyond himself. I hope one day that I do something so special that it will be given a name and added to the ever growing system that is 10th planet.

cool story bro.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwight Roux View Post
    If you wanna be the man, beat them at their own game like Diaz did to Knoons. Or challenge them to an mma match, that my friend is another story.
    That was sort of the way I was thinking.

Array

School
    ninthlevelmma, goldsboro, nc
    Hey Jason, I would first of all like to say that I am in agreement with you also after having time toreflect on this situation. Not only did I write this from anger , I was also very sick at the time and had been laid up in bed for about 4 days. I guess I over reacted because I felt that something that I truly care about (10thpjj) was being talked shit about. I can tell that after speaking with Jon Shelton and especially Neale hoerle, I quickly regretted what had done. Neale made me understand better what the bigger picture is. I hope that this explanation makes my ignorance a little more forgivable, as I am still learning things about this wonderful system that I really do care about. If it makes everyone understand that I know my mistake, I have apologized to the brown belt that I argued with. Jon and Neale are great guys who have helped me see things differently, and I hope that the original post does not reflect upon them. Without their words, I may have felt that it was right for me to defend 10pjj the way I did. In reality, I was hoping that this thread would be forgotten, but since it hasn't, is it possible to have a moderator remove it since this is no longer how I feel? If not I understand and I am willing to take the just do criticism. Once again forgive my ignorance
    Thanks for your input also

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast