Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu

Thoughts on the point (not scoring) system for the brown & black belt grand prix?

1 Point – Draw

2 Points – Win by advantage

3 Points – Win by points

4 Points – Win by Submission

The 2 from each group with the most points advance to the semi finals.
    I like the concept because theres very little chance of a Draw happening (higher chance in sub only) and the aggressive ones that are submitting guys have a better chance of advancing.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    *From the World Jiu Jitsu Expo

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    No opinion? Did anybody watch it at least or because it was in the gi there was no interest?

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts - 10th Planet Peterborough/Troop BJJ
    Lol them 10P heads don't always like talkin about tha gi! Good post. I loved it. Thought it was brilliant bro. This way there is some separation between winning by advantage or points or sub and it takes away the ref decision for the draw situation. When you're in a group with super competitive high level guys, you're forced to go a little bit harder. People aren't necessarily all going to suddenly switch it up to finish and get the 4, but I thought it was clever and fresh. Sub only is still being tinkered with and isn't perfected. So many diff ways to do that. This kept to what we all know with the scoring system but had a clever twist to give incentive for winning more dominantly

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I like it. I'd say make the submissions worth 6 though. It's great for round robin tourney's like that. Not too good for huge events. but I enjoyed the hell out of that tourney. More than a lot of the superfights tbh. Travis Stevens is a stud. Lotta new blood to keep an eye out for.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Bodmon View Post
    Lol them 10P heads don't always like talkin about tha gi! Good post. I loved it. Thought it was brilliant bro. This way there is some separation between winning by advantage or points or sub and it takes away the ref decision for the draw situation. When you're in a group with super competitive high level guys, you're forced to go a little bit harder. People aren't necessarily all going to suddenly switch it up to finish and get the 4, but I thought it was clever and fresh. Sub only is still being tinkered with and isn't perfected. So many diff ways to do that. This kept to what we all know with the scoring system but had a clever twist to give incentive for winning more dominantly
    I understand some guys don't like to watch the tug o war but damn! I was starting to think there was no one that bothered watching the gi matches. I like that theres another option almost like a combination of sub only and the ibjjf points system. Yes you can win a match by an advantage but if you dont rack up enough points in your pool you wont make it to the semi finals. Kind of a cool twist. Michael Liera JR looked great, went 7-1 but still didnt advance because of the point system for the pool.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    I like it. I'd say make the submissions worth 6 though. It's great for round robin tourney's like that. Not too good for huge events. but I enjoyed the hell out of that tourney. More than a lot of the superfights tbh. Travis Stevens is a stud. Lotta new blood to keep an eye out for.
    Travis Stevens coming in and filling in the black belt grand prix was awesome too (Shiloh Roberts did too but didnt look as impressive). I don't see how that guy can be a brown belt for much longer. I agree some of those matches were more entertaining than a couple of the super fights. The brown belts came in hungry.

Thanks for the response guys

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    I understand the grip fighting so I don't see it as tug if war at all. There are def far less exciting players but some guys are crafty and mobile as fuck. My love of gi came strictly from not wanting to pay for and travel to a tournament to just do half of the available competition. But damn if I don't love the advantage 10p gives me. In both.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    I understand the grip fighting so I don't see it as tug if war at all. There are def far less exciting players but some guys are crafty and mobile as fuck. My love of gi came strictly from not wanting to pay for and travel to a tournament to just do half of the available competition. But damn if I don't love the advantage 10p gives me. In both.
    Yeah, there are boring fighters in the gi, but I gotta be honest, I can't think of more than one boring guy in the round robin. That tourney was badass man. Made my $25 worth it.

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts - 10th Planet Peterborough/Troop BJJ
    Love the gi. Personally made me more technical. If you take too much time away from the gi grip fighting is super taxing but I try not to because it helps my grip fighting in nogi. This was a well run, awesome event. They picked awesome brown belts and the point system was awesome. Brent you hit the nail on the head with the Liera example! Totally agree with your idea that its almost like sub only meets ibjjf. Hope to see more tournaments with that clever format! Have to remember though, it was an absolute so it kept things super high level but also a tad bit unfair. Guys like Liera and Marcio Andre are at a major size and strength disadvantage against the Travis Stevens and Tim Spriggs of the tournament. &yea Stevens is a beast, really blends his judo well into his game. Loved watching him at the last copa podio. Check out the highlight from their tournament, Stevens had an awesome spinning back attack on one of the Miyaos from a stack pass