Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Chungs Academy -Judo/TKD
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    OMG!

It always comes back to Gene. That dude is like the Kevin Bacon of submission grappling. I was actually drilling his walk around bicep crush from sidemount today. Every time I bust a Gene Lebell move somebodies' got a story about the guy. I need to get choked out by him before he dies.
    There's a great Gene story in "Blood in the Cage" if you haven't read it (I'm 98% sure it came from that Sam Sheridan book). He was apparently in the center of a controversy with Steven Seagal on the set of a movie and ended up choking him out twice! After the first choke out, Steven apparently complained that he "wasn't ready" so Gene promptly said:"are you ready now?" and choked him out again!! Good stuff!

With the introduction of the evidence that Bruce obviously knew more about ground work than most would have originally thought... is it time to revisit the "How well would Bruce do in MMA today" thread? I'm sticking by my guns as a HUUUUGE fan of Mr. Lee's. Waaah-sahhh!!

Array

School
    Ronin
    The origanal mixed martial artist.
    formerly known as jmw0582

Array

School
    Anu Academy
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    OMG!

It always comes back to Gene. That dude is like the Kevin Bacon of submission grappling. I was actually drilling his walk around bicep crush from sidemount today. Every time I bust a Gene Lebell move somebodies' got a story about the guy. I need to get choked out by him before he dies.
    Nice call on the Kevin Bacon of sub. grappling LOL!

Array

School
    muto ryu
    if i recall correctly, bruce uses some grappling in the opening seen of enter the dragon; sammo hung was the uke... gotta watch that again soon.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by m!k3y View Post
    if i recall correctly, bruce uses some grappling in the opening seen of enter the dragon; sammo hung was the uke... gotta watch that again soon.
    Yeah but it's loose and sketchy. The only excuse would be that he loosened it up for the sake of making it look explosive.

Array

School
    Fi-G Muay Thai/Honeybadger MMA
    Mr Camacho, you have my respect. So few people understand Kevin Bacon.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    As the resident JKD guy, I can speak for Bruce's ground game... it was solid. Gene had a lot of influence but there was also Sambo influence. Larry Hartsell is the name to look up if youre interested in JKD grappling. He def would be a student of Eddie.

bruce lee's twister > eddie's twister

/thread

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hirt View Post
    There's a great Gene story in "Blood in the Cage" if you haven't read it (I'm 98% sure it came from that Sam Sheridan book). He was apparently in the center of a controversy with Steven Seagal on the set of a movie and ended up choking him out twice! After the first choke out, Steven apparently complained that he "wasn't ready" so Gene promptly said:"are you ready now?" and choked him out again!! Good stuff!
    From what I've heard Seagal pooped and pissed his own pants the second time it happen. Seagal was explaining to some stunt people how his Chi prevents him from being choked or submitted on the set of Out for Justice I believe. Well, unfortunately for him Judo Gene Lebell was the lead stunt instructor and called him on his bullshit. The rest is stuff of legend.

Array

School
    muto ryu
    yea, looks more like aikido throws and a WWE pin at the end...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast