Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    so i think i read on the Nz grappling forum that there are 6 black belts in nz cant remember exactly. might be as high as 8 or 9

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    one of my old coaches used to train at ATT HQ in Florida. He used to tell us that there were around 20 black belts on the mat almost every given day. He also said that some random, unknown Black Belts from Brazil used to travel to HQ all the time for some training and smash dudes like Jeff Monson and Thiago Silva. Nobody even heard of them here in US. I bet Black Belt pull is crazy down in Brazil with hundreds of gyms everywhere, we just never hear of them. Think about it, if a person doesnt compete nationally or internationally, u not gonna hear about him, even if he is a black belt, unless he is some famous instructor. And what is the percentage of jiu jitsu practitioners that compete? 2%? 5%?

Array

School
    10th Planet El Paso
    That's a really good questoin Serge. I don't know! But it's not very often you see black blets competing on a regional scene

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ (SousaBJJ.com)
    Thats True I trained at ATT Creek for 4 years and there was at least 5-15 black belts on the mat at every class. Just think of how many guys in Brazil cant afford travel costs or get a visa to compete. Thats why a Brazilian National Championship might carry more weight then a World Title. Look at Roberto Satoshi a guy you'd never hear of outside of Brazil, then he finally competes in the US and smashes JT Torres, Lucas Lepri, Davi Ramos and Michael Langhi. And hes only 24 yrs old. http://www.bjjheroes.com/bjj-fighters/roberto-satoshi

Quote Originally Posted by Serge Bunimovich View Post
    one of my old coaches used to train at ATT HQ in Florida. He used to tell us that there were around 20 black belts on the mat almost every given day. He also said that some random, unknown Black Belts from Brazil used to travel to HQ all the time for some training and smash dudes like Jeff Monson and Thiago Silva. Nobody even heard of them here in US. I bet Black Belt pull is crazy down in Brazil with hundreds of gyms everywhere, we just never hear of them. Think about it, if a person doesnt compete nationally or internationally, u not gonna hear about him, even if he is a black belt, unless he is some famous instructor. And what is the percentage of jiu jitsu practitioners that compete? 2%? 5%?

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    Another thing I just thought about. UFC employes around 400 fighters, at least half of them are black belts for sho. That's another couple hundred to add to the list. My first guess of 5000-7000 maybe low...

Array

School
    Kalsamrit Martial Arts
    Quote Originally Posted by Serge Bunimovich View Post
    UFC employes around 400 fighters, at least half of them are black belts for sho....
    I highly doubt that!

Array

School
    Kalsamrit Martial Arts
    Add another one to the list, UFC fighter Sean Pierson was just promoted to Black Belt the other day

what constitutes
    a "legit' black belt in the eyes of people who are not at that level?

Array

School
    10th Planet Bethlehem
    im thinkin theres around 2000 black belts.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast