Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Prison Guard troubles

Hey guys, I'm having trouble with prison guard. I got stuck with a crappy underhook, which was shallow and the guy wrapped an overhook, kept his weight low on it and I couldn't break it. I ended up abandoning the underhook and going to something else but I would like to know what some of you guys would do in that position and if you have a decent way of bringing him higher up your body and getting the underhook in deeper so you could continue down the path of the prison guard attacks or some other attacks that link well with this position?

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Maybe a sweep attempt to make him base out his hand

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I picked up a little trick from Jason Scully's youtube video that could be helpful.

So you know the mechanic sweep? You know how you grab the wrist of the over hooking arm? Take that grip, and arm drag to the back.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    You cannot enter with a shallow underhook and no angle. Just like rubberguard, playing it square with him and being flat will make it easy to beat. Deep angle, deep underhook..set his arm on your shoulder. Make sure your gable-grip is correct, lots of rookies make that mistake.

Also use the collar-tie arm inside your homie control just like a collar tie, and frame that shoulder away to prevent him squaring up. The foot on the hip (same side as underhook) must be ponching down on top on him as well as stomping the hip.

Hope this helps, I love prison guard.

Array

School
    10th Planet El Paso
    We've been working prison guard lately and that over hook definitely can be a neusance. I have some stuff that ive been thinking about that i want to try with it. Let me see how it pans out first.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    The prison guard to rubberguard transition is fundamental. A must to having a complete game there..

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    I picked up a little trick from Jason Scully's youtube video that could be helpful.

So you know the mechanic sweep? You know how you grab the wrist of the over hooking arm? Take that grip, and arm drag to the back.
    This is something I want to try from perfect double unders.

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne Oz Australia
    Its all in the clinch and the ability to move those hips underneath them utilising your feet on the hips to break out to that perfect angle to kill that overbook fast and blast it into the glory hole ( it is glorious you know). If your clinch is suspect, that overbook will expose it.

I use strong posture next to force that arm into the hole and attack the back or swim move!

Use the warm up series E as a guide and rep that muthafucker like a trojon. I try to hit that homie control grip asap as I take prison guard. That transition is $$$$

I hope that helps.
    Last edited by FRANK BARCA; 03-10-2014 at 05:55 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    I like to attack an inverted armbars if they try to stop my underhook. But with the Prison Guard it's all about angle and clinch

Brent Alvarez has the most ridiculous squeeze I've ever felt from Prison Guard. No stopping it.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Davidson View Post
    This is something I want to try from perfect double unders.
    I know we're both whiteys, but that armdrag has treated me well. You grab that mechanic wrist grip, reach your other hand to the tricep and arm drag to the back. From half guard it's even easier because you already have a hook in. I've even gone armdrag to truck (once lol). It's a nice little move.
    Last edited by David Rosado; 03-11-2014 at 07:00 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast