Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami

10PJJ and GJJ Rivalry is Stronger Than Ever

Yesterday I replied to a comment on the Gracie Jiu-Jitsu Academy's post of the Gracie Breakdown. Here's what happened:

Girl: "Thank you!! Any chance we could see an escape for Bravo's technique?"
    Me: "Pay the $5 a month for MTS on www.10thplanetjj.com and you'll see all our moves, counters, counters to the counters, and the counters to the counters' counters."

You know, just trying to be nice and informative that our whole system is out there for the learning, as well as informing her that our system has a lot more going on than just the straight forward techniques Eddie was able to pull off. We are after all the ones who study how to beat our game the most.

She replies: "Ross thanks but I believe these techniques will be reviewed to some extent within the Master Cycle at some point at www.gracieuniversity.com
    I'm in no rush to thoroughly contaminate/confuse my Jiu-Jitsu journey with techniques that might have a questionable use within a street fight. Which is why I entrust them to lead me through it and to it. I was thinking more of a quick 1-2-3 explanation like they did with the Kevin & Keenan fight.
    It is irrelevant honestly for me as of now. There are things I need to know and things I want to know. That being said I did experiment with some of the techniques I saw at Metamoris 3 and I am open minded for any style."

Maybe it just pissed me off and I'm over thinking it, but I feel like that, along with other things I've read, has really reinforced the rivalry.

Except, now, 10PJJ has been given an incredible legitimacy.

***Edit: this was not meant to stir the pot! I was trying to couple this little incident with other things I've observed (Royce incident, Eddie/Ralek thing, Gracie Mag Pics, and the Gracie Breakdown) in order to express my views on the situation. I focused on this small incident too much though. I'll do my best to be more thoughtful of my postings from now on.***
    Last edited by Ross Davidson; 04-03-2014 at 12:42 PM.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    lol, she contradicts herself. It goes to show you, folks think the lockdown, RG, etc. are two dimensional gimmicks or recipes. Step 1, step 2, step 3, better hope they never do anything to stop you before you get to step 3.

If it was that, it wouldn't be BJJ.

Array

School
    TBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by christian sabwa View Post
    So what shes telling me is... If i find myself in a half guard position because i was taken down, ko'd, or rocked and i electric chair someone and tear their groin thats not useful in a street fight?
    Deep half is never useful in a street fight. You're better off repping technical stand ups if you're worried about getting caught in bottom half guard on the street.

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    So what shes telling me is... If i find myself in a half guard position because i was taken down, ko'd, or rocked and i electric chair someone and tear their groin thats not useful in a street fight?
    As someone who bases some of his game off Gracie Combatives basics, her concern is that somehow the lockdown to the gable grip to the sweep could open her up to strikes (and I think Eddie covered this in his UK MTS episode, he emphasized being sure u hug close don't be lazy about it). She's obv not seeing it from both sides of the fence, but maybe in time she'll come around.

Array

School
    cobra kai
    I've made this comparison before but ill make it again, this is like a religious debate with a zealot.

No point in trying to change their ways, debate etc. Just train how you train, and maybe they'll see it first hand and open their mind about it, or they'll reject it, but no point in getting upset.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Hachey View Post
    Deep half is never useful in a street fight. You're better off repping technical stand ups if you're worried about getting caught in bottom half guard on the street.
    If I'm getting beat on my feet, I'm NOT letting go of my clinched half guard. I'm GOING to get a sweep to the mount/side control.

So you went on to a financial competitors online learning website, posted unsolicited advertisement for a direct competitor and expected love?

Not sure why you are pissed, she is clearly looking for something else on her jiu jitsu journey, no reason to get heated over it, it has no effect on your ability to learn, train and grow.

Array

School
    Didn't expect love. Just didn't expect hate. They were, after all, inquiring to know more about our system. A lot of other people seemed to enjoy my advice and input.

Array

School
    Next level combat 10th planet St Paul MN
    I'm glad they don't want to learn it. More 10th planet voodoo for us. I'm happy if they're legitimately open minded, but other wise don't waste time caring.

Generalization and inflammatory titles are stronger than ever.

maybe I am over reacting now.

What made me happiest about the aftermath of M3 wasn't certain Gracies eating a pr dick it was that it wasn't 10th Planet running around clamoring about how we, and Eddie were the shit. After years of repping while watching people get in internet battles it felt great to see non 10th planet people finally supporting Eddie and picking up the flag. All across the internet it was overwhelmingly former detractors and doubters praising Eddie's performance and character. We did not have to spam the various forums, the vast majority of jiu jitsu did it for us. Nothing speaks louder for ones accomplishments then having others shout praise.

Your original post on the GA comments wasn't bad, I just find issue with anyone attempting to stir the pot unnecessarily. It would be nice if we didn't devolve back to our jiu jitsu cliques. Language stating our rivalry is stronger than ever helps no one, especially when it is clearly not true.

If we want to be mainstream, which is the direction it is heading, we need to let go of language that promotes a perception of persecution. Continue to call BS where you see it, there is a lot of it flying around, but people need to stop getting in petty internet drama.

Royce, metamoris, graciemag, ryron etc have said some bullshit and were called on their bullshit.

One white belt arguing with another white belt online does not equal a wide scale animosity.
    Last edited by Kevin Gibbs; 04-03-2014 at 12:13 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast