Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Array

School
    "Oil Slix" shirtless BJJ Club
    cross arms kinda like this guy
    works like a charm...plus the ganster style hat keeps other guys from steppin' on your turf

3441251-593082-portrait-of-a-10-year-old-boy-with-crossed-arms-in-the-form-x.jpg
    "Blame the IBJJF when, in 30 years you see an academy that nails the phrase, "A Red belt is a Junior black belt that hasn't died yet" on the far wall."

Array

School
    Training Station Manchester NH
    Awww didnt mean it like a tough guy. just a reaction usually do just tap LOL
    @DuaneBenton667

#10P603

Array

School
    blank
    even better than grip breaking would be to pass standing and don't let your opponent get you in their closed guard

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    In the famous words of the wu- "protect ya neck" learn what grips are dangerous and which ones not to worry abput, if you're on top and they're playing sleeves and collars be very careful. If you're playing guard and they're playing those grips there's not a lot to worry about, now if they pass protect your collar. Most of all practice your grip breaking! If they don't have grips they ain't got shit!

Array

School
    Gracie Barra
    Well, since we're both Barra guys, I think I know your pain.

But you could give us some details: are you having trouble when they pass? Or is it when you're in their guard? Personally, I only started having trouble with chokes since I started playing the Lockdown. But Eddie says it's alright to get choked at first, so I'm confident my game will improve (even though we only have one no-gi class a week, I'm trying to go 10P with the gi)

Now, in general, you'll always want to check their grips. You're in their guard, they got a deep collar grip, posture up and check that grip. If you can break the grip without them breaking your posture, even better.
    If you're getting choked from the half-guard or from side control, you can work your hip escapes - this way you can loosen the pressure on your neck. Also, "looking to the other side" is a good way to loosen the pressure and create enough space to survive and check.

Now, if the guys are trying to choke you from inside your own guard, Armbar City.

Array

School
    Summit City Submissions
    http://www.amazon.com/Gustavo-Machad.../dp/B003KD3JZ2

http://www.youtube.com/user/ralphgracie

http://www.youtube.com/user/GracieAcademy

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1qT3sxy49WUCjV5NPrcGKw

The answers are out there, but the research is on you. I highly reccomend Gustavo Machado's Great Escapes dvd. Defense and escapes are key to making it from white belt to blue belt. They are key to survival at any rank, but are the most important to pick up during your formative training years.

Array

School
    Elite BJJ Redmond, WA
    Quote Originally Posted by Wancarlos View Post
    cross arms kinda like this guy
    works like a charm...plus the ganster style hat keeps other guys from steppin' on your turf

3441251-593082-portrait-of-a-10-year-old-boy-with-crossed-arms-in-the-form-x.jpg
    Thanks for the tip.

All seriousness aside, I bet if I wore a hat like that cocked off to the side all casual like I hadn't really perfected the angle in front of a mirror I'd get a lot more respect on the mats.

Array

School
    Gb Knox/Kmaa
    It depends a ton on where your getting choked FROM too. If your getting choked from the back, man that is freaking hard to avoid... I've seen some legit guys choke someone OUT with two fingers in the collar from behind. You just have to keep that hand off your lapel.
    Flip side, if your getting choked from inside guard, like a cross choke, that may be a posture issue. It sounds counter intuitive but you hardly ever see people get cross choked from guard when they are controling the opponents hips.

Mostly you have to deeply accept the fact that this is where gi and no gi differ. I've rolled with a lot of guys who didn't pay attention to grips (I used to be one) but if your playing tournement bjj in a gi, and your opponent is controling the grips, your dead in the water if your not.

Array

School
    10th Planet El Paso
    I think Renato put up a couple videos about this already

Array

School
    SimGo Cobra Kai
    Such an open ended question. Where from?

As a general rule you can break grips all the time, but then you never generate offense. It just takes time to learn when a grip actually threatens and when to not give a fuck and keep doing your thing

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast