Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hotbox heads

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Part of being a leader is stepping up to those situations. You also have to have enforcers( you being the main one). If he can just push your head away there, than you need to address that fact anyway. I actually don't mind goons, or people working what they want while I'm drilling/teaching, if you have the space. But if he in anyway endangers anyone from being able to work or train tomorrow, he's gonna get a serious talk behind the woodshed. If he undermines, I'll stop what I'm doing and ask him to try his theory on me or anyone of my guys. If he's not interested in progressing as a team he can kick rocks, and I'll point him in the direction. Being confrontational is way better than losing a good training partner due to a blown acl.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    If someone likes picking on smaller or less trained people, he gets the dogs sicked on him. Every mat has different methods, but this is ours. If I see a guy going abu dhabi on a whitebelt, he can only roll with people who I'm positive can thrash him.

Also, if I don't like a guy off the mat, he's not welcome on mine.

Array

School
    Lookin'
    Maybe educate him on etiquette, if you haven't done so already.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    I don't think it would be a good idea to head a HB if you're timid or can't deal with confrontation. Even if it is the "gentle art," it's a martial art and a combat sport.

If you're a blue, the odds are some athletic or prodigious whites can tap you in a roll. Other blues will tap you. Visiting purples and above will def tap you. In a legit school, you have to be able to be the top dog. But that's not the point of a HB. The point of a HB is to learn and drill 10thP specific material. If you have a guy who's just looking for free mat time, tell him to hit an open mat. If he isn't cooperating, waste his time right back. Give him zero training partners. Give him zero attention. Don't roll with him.

Don't waste my time, I won't waste your time. That would be my approach.

Array

School
    "Oil Slix" shirtless BJJ Club
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    If he isn't cooperating, waste his time right back.
    This is good.
    "Blame the IBJJF when, in 30 years you see an academy that nails the phrase, "A Red belt is a Junior black belt that hasn't died yet" on the far wall."

Array

School
    10WO
    Quote Originally Posted by Wancarlos View Post
    I know you just answered my question (with a good answer too), but what if you're timid or like to avoid confrontation? I guess that's the point where you and your buddies in the HB smash him to pieces.
    Keeping a safe environment to train is part of being a teacher/leader/ hotbox head/ whatever. And if there is someone who is not allowing your training space that you are in charge of to be safe, then its up to you to let them know that. No offence, but you need to man up and tell him what the group's expectations are when it comes to training. And for any new people that come into your group, let them know what is expected before they start training with you.

There is a time and place for everything. Some people you can roll hard with, other people you work technique with.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    I had the luxury of running my hotbox at a gym while other classes were going. It was very easy to get rid of d-bags. We had plenty of backup.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    I disagree with Greg 100%. You not only rep yourself, your hotbox and if your are an official 10th Planet Hotbox the system. Don't ever given in and let someone tap you like that, you woop that ass and send it packing.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Bethlehem
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    I disagree with Greg 100%. You not only rep yourself, your hotbox and if your are an official 10th Planet Hotbox the system. Don't ever given in and let someone tap you like that, you woop that ass and send it packing.
    Science

ig and twitter @jm10p

Array

School
    Gracie Barra
    I'm sorry for the question, but can someone tell me what is a Hotbox? And what are 'Moons'?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast