Thread: ANZAC Day

Array

School
    Sunbury Jiu Jitsu

ANZAC Day

Today (25th April) is a very special day in Australia and New Zealand. It is ANZAC (Australian and New Zealand Army Corps) day. The day marks the landing of our troops at Gallipoli in 1915 as part of WWI. Many Australians believe this is the day when our nation and national spirit truly emerged.

Under the command of British troops Australian and New Zealand forces landed at what is now known as Anzac Cove, Turkey. When they landed they encountered extreme resistance from heavily fortified positions higher up the peninsula. Many young men were killed in the first wave of landings in what soon became a hopeless campaign. For the next 8 months our troops remained in trenches with little chance of advancing or retreating.

Since the 1920's the 25th of April has been an official public holiday across Australia and New Zealand. After subsequent campaigns (WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Iraq etc) it is now observed as a day of remembrance for all our solders who selflessly gave their lives serving our country and a day to thank all those who have served in our armed forces.

I know there are a lot of guys on here who have served their country (whether it be Australia, NZ, USA, Canada or wherever). I wanted to say thank you from someone who can not comprehend the courage it would take to do so.

Lest we forget

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne/ Goulburn Valley Jiu Jitsu
    Lest we forget...

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    Bless them all. Only when I was in Sydney over Christmas just gone was I made aware of this horrifically tragic event. It certainly isn't covered here in history lessons

Such brave souls. RIP.