Array

School
    Gracie Barra

Warm Ups - Solo Drills?

Hey,

The important parts are bold. Please skip the rest if you're not interested in my sad life.

So, I was checking the absolute beginners thread, and everyone (especially Eddie) was talking about how important it is to master the warm-ups.

My problem is: Most of the warm-ups require a training partner, and I have none. I have one partner who wants to train, but I'm pretty sure he won't want to drill the warmups. Is there a way to do the warmups by myself? Without the aid of a grappling dummy, that is. Any techniques/exercises/drills I can "make do with"?

Now, the boring part (skip it if you're not interested, I just want to give you guys an idea of how things work here):

Personally, one of the things I find most fascinating about 10P is precisely the warm-ups. In my school, we warm-up for 7 minutes. Every. Single. Day. And it's always the same, in this precise order:
    20 Jumping Jacks, 10 squats, 10 push ups.
    Repeat once.
    Then we go:
    20 straight crunches. 20 oblique crunches to the left. 20 oblique crunches to the right.

Then we shrimp. 10 times to the left, 10 times to the right.
    Then we do neck stretches. 10 times chin-to-the-chest. 10 times ear-to-the-shoulder. 10 times chin-to-the-shoulder.

Then we do hip escapes. 20 times.

Then we do the Ukemi. 10 times.

Then we rest for 10 seconds.

And then we "stretch". Left leg. Right leg. Both legs. Butterfly. And we end with a type of stack/static granby. I don't know how to call that in English.

Now, according to the warm-up thread: "The main purpose of the beginners classes at HQ is to master the warm ups, so that the transition to the advanced classes is as seamless as possible. "

I assume the beginners are required to learn all the moves/techniques present in the warm-ups, is that correct? Only after learning the warm-ups, beginners... begin?

If that's the case, that's marvelous. 10P warm-ups are a wonder to me. I mean, you guys are drilling techniques for the warm-ups. And most of the techniques you guys are drilling, "taking for granted" to some extent, are part of the Black Belt program at my school - which means a normal student would take at least 1 year to learn (we only begin the Black Belt and No-Gi program after getting blue, which takes from 8 to 20 months if you go at least twice a week and show good progress).

So, basically, in my school, if you want to start No-Gi and start to learn the techniques you guys use for warm-ups, you need to train, AT LEAST eight months. Also, what you guys learn for the warm-ups, is part of the black belt curriculum of my school. Finally, when we begin NoGi, we only have one class a week. One. 6 days a week, and only one is dedicated to NoGi.

Thus, it is almost impossible for me to do the warm-ups with my partners. I've been training for three years now, which means I'm still halfway through blue.

Help?

Array

School
    10th Planet Hamburg/ Ronin
    if you can get a training partner, say hey have you seen these techniques? and dont show them as warm ups, show them as techniques, adn then next time you train say hey lets go through them quickly, and so on. then baam you have warm ups going.

btw do u mean you are a blue belt or youre half way to being a blue belt? because if youre blue belt in another system that means youre a blue belt in tenth planet

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    You should be granbying the shit outta your garage mate!

The spiral guard entry can also be drilled solo against a matted wall, cage, or if you're feeling fresh a supermarket aisle.

Array

School
    10WO
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Garry View Post
    +1 for granbies!

Also, if you have a partner that you might be able to drill with, don't just assume he wouldn't want to drill some of the warm-ups with you. Nothing good ever starts with doubt. You gotta believe! While its true he may not want to do absolutely every set, who wouldn't want to get some good quality reps of the marcelotine in? I mean its not like its been used to win world championships or anything.

If he would only want to drill one or two techniques, then at least that is one or two techniques more than you could drill on your own (solo granbies excluded). And I'd wager that if you can get him drilling a couple things with you, you'd be able to turn him on to the rest of the warm-ups.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra
    Quote Originally Posted by Isaac Atley View Post
    if you can get a training partner, say hey have you seen these techniques? and dont show them as warm ups, show them as techniques, adn then next time you train say hey lets go through them quickly, and so on. then baam you have warm ups going.

btw do u mean you are a blue belt or youre half way to being a blue belt? because if youre blue belt in another system that means youre a blue belt in tenth planet
    That's a good idea. I'm gonna do that, thanks!
    I'm sorry about that blue thing, it got confusing. I mean I'm halfway to being purple. Also, is it true about 10P? If I'm blue in Style X, I'm blue in 10P?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Garry View Post

The spiral guard entry can also be drilled solo against a matted wall, cage, or if you're feeling fresh a supermarket aisle.
    Yep, granbying is pretty much all I can do. I've bought myself a mat, since Friday is my birthday, so I decided I deserved it lol. Gonna granby the shit outta it 8D Loved the supermarket aisle idea. I'll let you know the results lol

Quote Originally Posted by Chad Clark View Post
    +1 for granbies!

Also, if you have a partner that you might be able to drill with, don't just assume he wouldn't want to drill some of the warm-ups with you. Nothing good ever starts with doubt. You gotta believe! While its true he may not want to do absolutely every set, who wouldn't want to get some good quality reps of the marcelotine in? I mean its not like its been used to win world championships or anything.

If he would only want to drill one or two techniques, then at least that is one or two techniques more than you could drill on your own (solo granbies excluded). And I'd wager that if you can get him drilling a couple things with you, you'd be able to turn him on to the rest of the warm-ups.
    Thanks a lot for the motivation

I looked at Andre Galvao's Book Drill to Win. It had alot of solo drills for jiu jitsu. Its alot more body movement for Jiu jitsu rather than doing granbies all day. It does have some Techniques and partner drills so I would recommend that book. We still do the "tranditional warm ups" like forward rolls, back rolls, shrimps, granbies. But I Really like that the new 10thp Warm up, Your actually Drilling techniques and your doing this over and over again each week. soon you start catching things you never went for because its second nature. I'm sure I've seen threads where guys win tournaments with the same moves we do in the warm ups! I could be wrong but I'm sure its helping everyone even just on the mats

I know personally drilling is not my favorite part of Jiu Jitsu i would just roll all day if i could. Finding partners that want to drill for about 30min each night can be hard. I've seen guys at my gym Drill like monsters all day reps over and over again. But within a few months they were animals and I saw them improve faster than the guys that just showed up for class. But Its one of those things you have to do to get good, especially if you have competing in mind. Once you have someone drilling with you and you make it consistant, I'm more than positive more guys will see your improvements and want to drill with you.