Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    Any endevor Rickson Gracie embarks on to start a new federation should automatically garner the support from any real BJJ player, no? Is he not lengendary?

There will be growing pains, but whatever. Even today, after all these years, IBJJF is changing their rules, because they haven't worked out a perfect (in their eyes) system yet. Give Rickson time to iron out the ruleset and run some tourneys and I am sure he will design it to the better than the IBJJF ruleset.

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post
    Any endevor Rickson Gracie embarks on to start a new federation should automatically garner the support from any real BJJ player, no? Is he not lengendary?

There will be growing pains, but whatever. Even today, after all these years, IBJJF is changing their rules, because they haven't worked out a perfect (in their eyes) system yet. Give Rickson time to iron out the ruleset and run some tourneys and I am sure he will design it to the better than the IBJJF ruleset.
    Honestly, I think Eddie came up with the best system for EBI. Submission Only is the only way to go.

Array

School
    I agree, but IBJJF has nothing that can stand beside it as an alternative, as far as "prestige" goes. This offers something that could rank up to the same calibre and draw the same numbers and create the same prestige, and put the brakes on the IBJJF monopoly, no?

Array

School
    Like, I am just shooting from the hip here, because I really don't know much about IBJJF politics, but if Rickson is putting his name on it, I am open to checking it out and supporting it during its' formative times.

Array

School
    I hear ya... I'm just sayin'. If Rickson is going to create an alternative to the IBJJF he should do it right and have it be Submission Only. I heard a podcast recently by one of the guys from U.S. Grappling and they have been running submission tournaments for years. The guy said they have been keeping stats for years and the average time for every match is 8 minutes.

http://www.insidebjj.com/2014/07/06/...-s-grapppling/

Array

School
    "Oil Slix" shirtless BJJ Club
    I think the rules set is wildly important, and I will stand by and support any and all promo's with the sub-only rules (My first tourney was U.S. Grappling and it's been my favorite ever since). However, I have yet to go to/ witness a tournament with the organization, mat quality and marketing prowess as an IBJJF joint. As well as the prestige Kurz was talking about. The Mendes bros don't have any NAGA medals in their lobby, all IBJJF medals. It's one thing to step on taped up mats to compete 6 hours after you arrive, and another thing to get on those yellows and blues to compete 15 minutes from the time they tell you, "your division starts in 15". IBJJF competition (as much as I hate to admit) offers that you're possibly gonna make it onto ranking boards, videos and into the minds of hundreds of spectators.
    This Rickson thing will be big, but the events are almost obligated to be highly organized, and to break away from my previous ramblings, politics must be removed.
    "Blame the IBJJF when, in 30 years you see an academy that nails the phrase, "A Red belt is a Junior black belt that hasn't died yet" on the far wall."

Array

School
    cobra kai
    Rickson wants to penalize guard pullers. -1 point.

http://www.bjjee.com/bjj-news/rickso...guard-pulling/

the ole finger bite counter

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by ml82 View Post
    Rickson wants to penalize guard pullers. -1 point.

http://www.bjjee.com/bjj-news/rickso...guard-pulling/
    I'm not a fan of that. Who cares how the fight gets to the ground. How does the winner get the sub, that's what I want to see.

Array

School
    Yeah I don't know about penalizing people for using legit techniques or positions, unless it is a blatantly illegal move in the ruleset. Pulling gaurd is just a way to engage that some people like to use.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast