Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami

Ghost to Spector and tightening it all up

So the ghost is pretty much the only thing I use to escape side control (80%~, I'd say). It doesn't always get me to sprawl control, mainly on higher ranking guys, but a lot of the time it at least creates a scramble. However, some of the bigger purple belts have begun completely stuffing the ghost and winding up in side control on the opposite side, or securing an arm bar on that same opposite side. So, I began to tie in the Spector. It's been working great. Still haven't wound up on the back many times, but helps creates a lot of scrambles. One guy I train with has started to take pressure off as I'm in the middle of the ghost or the combo, and reapplies pressure after my attempt fails. This is a money combo and I would really love to master it. I do plan on watching some instructionals, but I'm just wondering if my fellow warriors had any suggestions to add.

Zog, I know you have some stuff to say!!!
    "You know you cannot escape death, but immortality can be obtained."

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    What are you calling the Spector ?

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Ross Davidson View Post
    So the ghost is pretty much the only thing I use to escape side control (80%~, I'd say). It doesn't always get me to sprawl control, mainly on higher ranking guys, but a lot of the time it at least creates a scramble. However, some of the bigger purple belts have begun completely stuffing the ghost and winding up in side control on the opposite side, or securing an arm bar on that same opposite side. So, I began to tie in the Spector. It's been working great. Still haven't wound up on the back many times, but helps creates a lot of scrambles. One guy I train with has started to take pressure off as I'm in the middle of the ghost or the combo, and reapplies pressure after my attempt fails. This is a money combo and I would really love to master it. I do plan on watching some instructionals, but I'm just wondering if my fellow warriors had any suggestions to add.

Zog, I know you have some stuff to say!!!
    1) Make sure you really start on your side when you initiate the escape, its common to think you are on your side when you are not.
    2) During the escape if have to determine if they pressuring or withdrawing pressure. Each has its own response. If they are maintain pressure you have sprawl control, M'arce/D'arce, Triangle as options, if they withdraw use Butterfly or open guard as your options. If they block the near hip, use the reverse Ghost/Spectre as your option.

3)I cover the farside armbar in Week in Roc episode cover the Ghost Series. Its all in your under hook. If he attacks the farside arm he is giving you a Free Ghost.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Mallory View Post
    What are you calling the Spector ?
    The reverse Ghost to the back.

Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round
    Kind of a dumb newbie question, but could escapes from side control, sweeps etc work for someone trying to get out of wrestling pins that often look similar?

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Kiernan View Post
    Kind of a dumb newbie question, but could escapes from side control, sweeps etc work for someone trying to get out of wrestling pins that often look similar?
    Yup, some are easier, some are harder with the Ghost it all depends on where the direction of the pressure is, same as kuzushi/off balance when standing. The Ghost works great vs. single directional pressure like a wrestlers side control. Obviously different clinches/upper body control would require adjustments in the set ups however, the over all concept remains the same.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox/MGJJ Purple Belt/10P Miami
    Thank you, Zog!!! Definitely going to watch!!!
    "You know you cannot escape death, but immortality can be obtained."

Array

School
    EMU Judo, Final Round
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Yup, some are easier, some are harder with the Ghost it all depends on where the direction of the pressure is, same as kuzushi/off balance when standing. The Ghost works great vs. single directional pressure like a wrestlers side control. Obviously different clinches/upper body control would require adjustments in the set ups however, the over all concept remains the same.
    My son gets stuck on the bottom a lot when wrestling and I have been trying to find some good ways to get him out. Part of the problem is psychological. In his first wrestling club there was a kid that was the same size as him who was kind of the "star" and they constantly put him with my son over and over again and did not really coach him very well from the bottom. (It didn't help that the "star" was related to some of the coaching staff.) A lot of the time they would just be yelling at him to stand up over and over again and I would sit there thinking "The other kid has both his arms tied up, how the hell is he supposed to stand?" He will try all of the typical wrestling escapes and reversals and generally right as he is about to be out get flattened back to the floor again. When you shout specific reversals or escapes to him his opponents/training partners will tend to ready themselves for it and then splat him down again.

If anyone has any suggestions, I compiled these two videos for his new coaches to get an idea of what he can do. I am starting to think he needs some solutions outside of the "wrestling box" so to speak.

This is a video of him wrestling that "star" kid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V5Py...2RHLD9TNJ_xSDQ

And this is a video of how some of that same problem manifested itself during competition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE6h...2RHLD9TNJ_xSDQ

He now gets so frustrated that sometimes he just stops bothering to try and get up at all. Which really sucks. I keep asking him if he wants to quit wrestling and he insists he doesn't. But I have trouble getting any of his coaches to help him with this specific issue.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ circa 2006-07
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    The reverse Ghost to the back.
    Oh... I've just been calling that Ghost II.