Array

School
    lightening mma kent england

competition advice

Hi guys just abit of advice needed I enter a local comp at the novice level but have been doing really well and was thinking of stepping up to the intermediate level where all the blue and purples are to try my luck is this acceptable as a white belt?

Array

School
    Ronin @ Full Power Gym
    Go for it! I think it's a great idea to step out of your comfort zone. Those tough fights always teach me where I need work on. BUT.. Some guys think it's disrespectful (happened to me last Saturday)

Array

School
    Ronin
    Ask your coach would be my advice

Array

School
    10th Planet Glasgow
    Have you won a couple Competitions at Novice already? Like Apperz said, speaking to your coach would be the best thing but there are also generally guidelines for experience brackets - Novice 0 - 12 Months, Intermediate 1 - 3 years etc, check these out as well.

Array

School
    Holiday Inn Express
    If you haven't competed yet, I wouldn't bc you are gonna get smashed with the adrenaline dump. If you have competed, and can stay calm, and roll with all the unforseen issues of competition (waiting, no warm up, last minute changes, etc) then challenge yourself. But, only if you know your way around competitors that's don't hold back. Remember, competition is not like the gym. I don't even extend armbar in the gym, but in comp, I'm taking that shit home. And I'm Nice. Imagine what a dick would do. Just be safe, and remember that competing is not like rolling. You can get really calm and peaceful with it, but it's never the same as a gym roll

Array

School
    10th Planet El Paso
    Quote Originally Posted by fattywarbucks View Post
    If you haven't competed yet, I wouldn't bc you are gonna get smashed with the adrenaline dump. If you have competed, and can stay calm, and roll with all the unforseen issues of competition (waiting, no warm up, last minute changes, etc) then challenge yourself. But, only if you know your way around competitors that's don't hold back. Remember, competition is not like the gym. I don't even extend armbar in the gym, but in comp, I'm taking that shit home. And I'm Nice. Imagine what a dick would do. Just be safe, and remember that competing is not like rolling. You can get really calm and peaceful with it, but it's never the same as a gym roll
    +1

Array

School
    www.therockbjj.com
    You are only going to get better faster by competing against more experience athletes, but the learning curve can be steep and it can be tough to stay motivated when you are taking your lumps.

Other thing to consider is that if some tournament directors see you competing in the intermediate division, they might try to keep you up there in the future. So make sure you are ready.

How do you fare against blue and purple belts in your gym? If you are competitive, I say give it a shot.

Array

School
    Tom Barlow/Kenny Baker Academy Plymouth 10th Planet Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Kavanagh View Post
    Go for it! I think it's a great idea to step out of your comfort zone. Those tough fights always teach me where I need work on. BUT.. Some guys think it's disrespectful (happened to me last Saturday)
    Underground? Lol
    Paul 'Toppy' Ferguson

Array

School
    Ronin @ Full Power Gym
    Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    Underground? Lol
    Nah I entered into a blue belt divison to give it a try and then after being congratulated by my coach's coach, 2 days later he said it was disrespectful to my team and my coach (who both were delighted with my results)

Array

School
    lightening mma kent england
    I have been competing for year at judo have won a couple at novice and I dont have a coach I train at a small mma me and the kick boxing coach learn everything from book videos and here because our closest 10p school is 3 hours away thanks for the advice guys