Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Toffolo View Post
    that's interesting. i noticed that a bit when he covered the arm triangle on the site (with the palm of the hand on the opponent's forehead) i remember him saying that it also cranks.

ya, i was watching it and laughed my ass off when he said it. i think it was to the guillotine after mounting to trap the far arm as your opponent tries to get to his knees (toward you).

great eye/ear to catch that
    Lol thx! if it's about chokes I usually pay crazy attention. Glover always has some funny quotes. That darcepedia is great for setups and entries but I think Hall's got me overall better at understanding the darce and how to chase it from position to position (darce, marce, farce, mounted, etc.) I think both helped me a ton.

And nice pickup for you about Rafa's arm triangle. Yeah that's exactly how he showed it. It's awful. All of his chokes were awful to be in. I'm sure you saw those training vids on here, but you know he's got ridiculous power and leverage when he's was rolling for ADCC around 66kg and darce chokes Keenan and anaconda chokes Galvao. Keenan probably had what, 30 lbs on him? Galvao the same, if not a little more?

I've never seen him finish that arm triangle in competition before but he came pretty close to finishing it in the gi one time. Maybe on Mario Reis?

Array

School
    Eris Martial Arts, Peterborough
    So I am sensing that the Ryan Hall Arm Triangles DVD set is worth the purchase? Isn't that set like $150 or something?

@Kurzinator on Twitter & Instagram

Array

School
    BTT Canada - BJJ Quebec
    What are awesome is that i hear Ryan Hall is gong to do MMA. That what apparently firas has told the guys at our gym.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nall View Post
    In general the 10th Planet style of finishing the arm triangle/side choke tends to be a little more cranky and arm squeezy than what I prefer, but it obviously works great still. Almost everything in jiu-jitsu is personal preference and that's why it's so cool. If their left arm is trapped, no matter what grip you're using, try to focus on getting his left shoulder to roll into the side of his neck. That's going to close off the artery, so I would say to twist his trapped shoulder more to your left / his right, this way it will drop into the side of his neck and put him to sleep. The trapped shoulder is always the problem side.

The open side that you're closing off with your own arm is almost never an issue. This goes for any leg or arm triangle (triangle, reverse triangle, inverted triangle, side choke, darce, anaconda....)

Watch the first 90 seconds of this video. This might be what Eddie meant by twisting. if not then hopefully you can at least pick up something from the video. This preview clip also has a killer arm-in RNC/nogi ezekiel finish at about 3:50. It may be in a gi, but the entire dvd is nogi friendly, and Hall is obviously an incredible nogi athlete, and this dvd helped out my side chokes, darces, and other head and arm chokes so much. Definitely worth the money.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Sarasin View Post
    What are awesome is that i hear Ryan Hall is gong to do MMA. That what apparently firas has told the guys at our gym.
    Yes, Ryan is doing MMA, and mostly trains out of Tristar. He is 4-0 as a pro so far, since late 2012 / early 2013, with all victories coming by finish (2 subs and 2 TKOs from punches.) Only 1 fight has left the first round. He just signed a multi-fight contract with Titan FC, and hopefully he'll be in the UFC sooner than later. He's adapted Jiu-Jitsu great for MMA, and he has really solid wrestling, and good striking. he's actually competing in pure wrestling tournaments as well.

You might be able to find a few grainy cell phone cam footage of some of his fights, but I don't think any of them can be seen in high quality right now. I think he's taking the right approach by not trying to rush things, and he's really getting some good experience before jumping into the deep end.

I actually think he's going to go pretty far, and he's super committed to it. He did say recently that he would like to have a no-gi match at Metamoris 5 against Jeff Glover, or if not Glover, Rafa Mendes, or Durinho. But only if it wouldn't conflict with his MMA schedule. he was supposed to face Bill Cooper at Metamoris 2, but had to cancel because of a shoulder injury. I also think he was offered to face Caio Terra no-gi at this recent Metamoris, but he had elbow surgery a couple of weeks before the event.

Array

School
    blank

Array

School
    There was a video interview with Ryan and he said flat out that he was basically disgusted with the ruleset of sport BJJ, and sick of guys playing footsies/stalling, and getting awarded for position over sub attempts etc.
    He said he was basically done with the sport circuit and going to focus on MMA. There was a thread on here about it somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post
    There was a video interview with Ryan and he said flat out that he was basically disgusted with the ruleset of sport BJJ, and sick of guys playing footsies/stalling, and getting awarded for position over sub attempts etc.
    He said he was basically done with the sport circuit and going to focus on MMA. There was a thread on here about it somewhere.
    Yeah he's been on that kick for a minute. He got a lot of bad calls in his last few matches. He had a match with Justin Rader where he got takedown points scored against him and it wasn't really a takedown. he had an IBJJF gi match where he took the back and threw on a RNC with a few seconds left but they didn't give him points because he crossed his feet, which he likes to do. In that match he also got stalled on heavy and the guy pretended to shake his hand and tried a takedown or something.

I think the biggest mistake was at ADCC 2011. In his quarter finals match with Robson Moura, they were both in 50/50 in a heel hook battle in the no points period, and then when the points started, Robson came up to a knee and got points for a sweep, so Ryan lost by 2. Everyone seems to think he got his guard passed at the end of the match, but Robson never got the pass points, and won of a situation where there should have been no score.

Robson should have come up to a knee for a score of zero, since they were in a neutral spot. From there, Hall would be the guard player and Robson the passer, and any scoring transitions or positions would take effect. I tried to link the match but it's not on youtube.

Array

School
    Gay.

Array

School
    TBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Kurzy View Post
    Pretty strong words for the guy that self proclaims he invented 50/50 guard.

"I'm done ruining the sports circuit and am going to focus on ruining MMA."

Array

School
    Take it up with Ryan, Joe. lol

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast