Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Array

School
    PARA BELLUM BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU ACADEMY; ZURICH, SWITZERLAND
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    I'll let someone else give a second opinion. But I know what a Japanese necktie is. That's a vice grip. I'm trying to figure out what is preventing an escape. Without your chest on the back if his head it seems like he can just fall to his side to get rid of the forearm on the back of his head. And I still don't see how you're not giving up the underhook.
    ..and sorry but I don't know what a vice grip is. Keep in mind there are several varations of japanese neck ties, just like that there are several guillotine variations and armbar variations etc. this position here I learned from my Professor Augusto Frota, 2nd degree Black Belt under Antonio Rodrigo "Minotauro" Nogueira, here is our website: www.frota-team.ch

Array

School
    10th Planet & Nova Uniao
    The vice grip is the grip you're using. It's the same grip you use to force someone down with before applying a darce, it's called a three quarter nelson in wrestling. I think David isn't seeing the neck tie because you aren't finishing on your side and using your body more to crank the neck instead of just your vice grip. And, I agree with David on the underhook, on the second video. Any time you're in any kind of half guard you're arm should never let that underhook get taken like that, plus it's a real battle to get that underhook of yours back, you can't just swim it through like that and if you do swim through you risk getting trapped in a shoulder compression or a wrist lock, depending how your hand gets trapped.
    Last edited by Andrew Maxwell; 09-28-2014 at 06:23 PM.

Array

School
    Dark Horse SWA\10th Planet Bear DE
    Hey I am a huge fan of arm drags...use them from any position but Ill be honest here and say I'm not really getting either of these techniques. In the both vids you are arm dragging your opponent into your armpit and giving him an underhook? Typically arm drags would be pulling the arm across the body exposing the back. In the first vid even if you were to arm drag him across and then use the vicegrip this would be a very difficult submissions to pull off because there is nothing cutting off his right corotid. I do not consider what you are doing in the first video a japanese necktie at all. Ive had full on Marces locked up and sometime cant finish let alone only using the vice grip. I know its possible to get a tap but in my opinion its very very low percentage. In the second vid it looks like all you are doing is arm dragging him into an underhook (giving him an underhook) and then doing a regular electric chair. Sorry man...Im just not getting what your trying to show here at all.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Quote Originally Posted by VJ Bella View Post
    Hey I am a huge fan of arm drags...use them from any position but Ill be honest here and say I'm not really getting either of these techniques. In the both vids you are arm dragging your opponent into your armpit and giving him an underhook? Typically arm drags would be pulling the arm across the body exposing the back. In the first vid even if you were to arm drag him across and then use the vicegrip this would be a very difficult submissions to pull off because there is nothing cutting off his right corotid. I do not consider what you are doing in the first video a japanese necktie at all. Ive had full on Marces locked up and sometime cant finish let alone only using the vice grip. I know its possible to get a tap but in my opinion its very very low percentage. In the second vid it looks like all you are doing is arm dragging him into an underhook (giving him an underhook) and then doing a regular electric chair. Sorry man...Im just not getting what your trying to show here at all.
    He's right dude.

Hit it in a comp. But you wont be rolling white belts, sooo.. I dunno.

Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Honestly man what the others are saying is spot on. I would scrap these techniques and focus on things that are fundamentally sound. If you are looking to get affiliated I would def take these guys advice.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

Array

School
    10th Planet Fairfield
    I myself like to play RDLR. But it's such a finicky and unstable position (especially nogi) that makes it (at least for me) more about the set up of elaborate traps to tilt their balance, than explosive movements. Now, with that said, if you have gotten this choke consistently on purple and up opponents, then it works. But your video is too fast. Maybe re-film it with a step by step guide. For example, imagine this ham sandwich video below, but only done in 10 seconds. I'd probably quickly dismiss it if I didn't know the source. Convince us, slower?

Array

School
    Hey Guys, thank you all for your advices and feedbacks.. I will consider them all and I will rethink both positions.
    Thanks, this helps me.

Cheers

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    Good luck Stefan it will be great to see more 10th Planet in mainland europe!

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Garry View Post
    Good luck Stefan it will be great to see more 10th Planet in mainland europe!
    Thanks Chris!

Quote Originally Posted by VJ Bella View Post
    In the first vid even if you were to arm drag him across and then use the vicegrip this would be a very difficult submissions to pull off because there is nothing cutting off his right corotid.
    I arm drag to d'arces or arm in guillotine with the arm trapped, or if they swim back for the underhook regular arm in, regularly so there are chokes there, but yeah the vice grip seems to be weak there without having your core to apply pressure to the head.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Maxwell View Post
    Any time you're in any kind of half guard you're arm should never let that underhook get taken like that,
    off topic, but too be fair "Never" isn't exactly right. I go overhook lockdown to pyramid/meathook/flying kung fu all the time. Either if they force the underhook or if I can't make anything else work I'll give up the underhook.
    Last edited by Kevin Gibbs; 09-29-2014 at 09:29 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast