Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club

Anyone train at 10th Planet HQ?

Hello all! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I'm contemplating a move to LA and was wondering if anyone here could give me some info/thoughts/opinions on the training at 10th P HQ?

How many upper level guys?
    How is the training environment?
    Lots of drilling?
    Cons? (If there are any... haha)
    Etc.

I'm just trying to get a feel.

Thanks in advance!

Array

School
    Gracie Humaita/Ronin
    Sorry I cant help, check the warm ups out I guess? But Flex Luthor? lol

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Gamble View Post
    Sorry I cant help, check the warm ups out I guess? But Flex Luthor? lol
    My identity is revealed!!! Oh no! Haha. I figured that would happen. I'm not worried...

Ive seen the warmups quite a few times, thanks though. Solid suggestion.

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Tye is the most dedicated student at my gym. He is super analytical about his grappling development. His background as a competitive rock climber also gives him some really beneficial physical attributes for grappling. Most importantly, he is also a super awesome guy to have around. EVERYBODY loves Tye.

He will be a HUGE asset to whatever gym he ends up at.

So, help him out and tell him all about how to move to L.A. and train at HQ.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ / Salt Lake Grappling Club
    HQ is the best place I've ever trained, hands down. Eddie is an incredibly detail-oriented instructor; he gives the clearest and most helpful technique instruction I've ever seen. He always seems to emphasize the right details at the right moment. At the same time, he has established a fun and relatively relaxed atmosphere that will help you both learn and make friends. Egotistical assholes and spazzes don't last long here. The addition of the technical warmups into classes a few years ago was a superb move that has really closed most of the competitive holes in our system.

To answer your questions directly:
    - You'll have ~7 purple, ~3 brown, and a black belt or two in each class. I don't even know how many blues.
    - I answered this already. Fun and relaxed, but with some very hard live rolls at the end.
    - Lots of drilling. A cornerstone of the whole system.

Cons:
    - Mat space can be limited with large classes.
    - Not sure if this is a con (personal preference), but Eddie sometimes digresses on long anecdotes that are generally so enthralling you forget where you are and what you're supposed to be doing. Love you, Eddie!

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Ah! Awesome. Thank you very much Rob and Amir. That's what I was looking for.

And thanks coach for the shoutout.

I'll definitely stop in and check it out. Stoked!

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    I can vouch for Tye as well. I coached him alongside Jack, he's exactly the kind of grappler you want to show up at your gym.

And Tye, you're going to be scary if you spend some time at HQ.

Array

School
    RONIN
    Its pretty awesome! Huge classes with many people to train with. Throughout the week, different people from other schools come to train with Eddie. So the amount of talent and experience in the classroom can be off the charts! I bet you will have no problem finding someone your weight and skill level to train with

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne Oz Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Amir Allam View Post
    HQ is the best place I've ever trained, hands down. Eddie is an incredibly detail-oriented instructor; he gives the clearest and most helpful technique instruction I've ever seen. He always seems to emphasize the right details at the right moment. At the same time, he has established a fun and relatively relaxed atmosphere that will help you both learn and make friends. Egotistical assholes and spazzes don't last long here. The addition of the technical warmups into classes a few years ago was a superb move that has really closed most of the competitive holes in our system.

To answer your questions directly:
    - You'll have ~7 purple, ~3 brown, and a black belt or two in each class. I don't even know how many blues.
    - I answered this already. Fun and relaxed, but with some very hard live rolls at the end.
    - Lots of drilling. A cornerstone of the whole system.

Cons:
    - Mat space can be limited with large classes.
    - Not sure if this is a con (personal preference), but Eddie sometimes digresses on long anecdotes that are generally so enthralling you forget where you are and what you're supposed to be doing. Love you, Eddie!
    Fuck yeah!!!!

Frank Barca (Grank)
    10th Planet JJ Melbourne
    Affilliate Moon Downunder
    190B Sussex Street, Coburg
    Victoria Australia
    www.10thplanet.com.au
    frank@10thplanet.com.au