Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ

Hit the mat for the first time tonight

Tonight I signed up at Lovato's BJJ school and got to work. We went over a standing guillotine escape, a side-control escape, and an armbar from closed guard. I was partnered up with a guy who was really nice, also a white belt but he had a couple stripes. He was super gentle, to the point where I almost told him to amp it up a little. I hope I wasn't squeezing him too hard.

It was a complete blast. I can see this becoming a serious obsession very quickly. I'm already looking at my schedule and trying to figure out how I can get in there as many days a week as possible.

I'm looking forward to the point in time where I can start to work on 10p specific stuff. I already know I'm going to have to learn to fight from my back. I'm 5'10 and about 135 lb soaking wet, and with no wrestling background. So I'm going to get thrown around a lot. But my butterfly is already completely flat on the ground and I can go full lotus without my hands both directions, so I'm really anxious to start working on rubber guard. (thanks to many years of TKD for that).

I'm just giddy with excitement right now. I suspected it was going to be fun, but it was 10x what I expected. I had a fucking blast.

Array

School
    10th Planet SF/Melbourne
    5'10" and a buck thirty five? Do you triangle dudes all day long?

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by singer View Post
    5'10" and a buck thirty five? Do you triangle dudes all day long?
    That's the plan... but since I've had a total of one class, and we didn't cover any triangles, probably not just yet

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    At Lovato's you do not spar until you have 4 stripes on your whitebelt. That's about 4 months. Is this common?

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    At Lovato's you do not spar until you have 4 stripes on your whitebelt. That's about 4 months. Is this common?
    no, neither is 4 stripes in 4 months.

Most schools let guys start to roll withing a couple of classes/couple of weeks. I usually let guys start rolling in about 4 weeks if they have been consistent.

1 stripe is usually around 4-6months a piece.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    1 stripe is usually around 4-6months a piece.
    Lovato's also does yellow, orange, green. So you get 4 white stripes over 4 months, then yellow orange green, which takes you to a year or so. So a year+ for blue is what they said.

I'm guessing 12-18 months for blue is typical?

Array

School
    Sunbury Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    Lovato's also does yellow, orange, green. So you get 4 white stripes over 4 months, then yellow orange green, which takes you to a year or so. So a year+ for blue is what they said.

I'm guessing 12-18 months for blue is typical?
    Wow, seems complex. Do you have to pay extra for the stripe grading?

Array

School
    10th Planet Walnut Creek
    From the San Francisco Bay Area California.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty McLaren View Post
    I was wondering that myself.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty McLaren View Post
    No, no cost for grading, no cost for belts. Their price system is a 6-month contract for twice a week classes, or you can pay an additional $20/month for unlimited classes. But apparently they are not super strict, so as long as you are not there 5 days a week, you can get by with the twice a week contract and fit in extra classes. Plus you get a free month for paying in advance, plus you get a free month when you sign up.

So all in all it was like $1000 for 8 months, gi included. No belt fees no grade fees.

Array

School
    10th Planet Glasgow
    The GB school near us has a similar structure for rolling. You need a certain amount of stripes on your White Belt first before you can roll and you get the stripes pretty quickly. Once you have 4 stripes (I think) you're not classed as a beginner anymore and you go into the Black Belt programme.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast