Mechanics of Gogoplata escape / resistance?

Apparently some of the guys in my gym got flexible enough to pull rubber guard (was out for a while) and I got put in one. I was trying to remember Garry Tonon's roll-under pass and got into a gogoplata (aka "Undertaker's submission which I didn't know was a bjj move") and tapped.

Started looking for escape footage and couldn't find any, aside from one whose concept basically is turning and giving the omoplata faster than your opponent can figure out you gave it to him, making it into an omoplata escape.

I was wondering what other options are available. What are the movement options inside a gogo? From what I gather -

1. Both his hands are on my head and his shin is stuck under my head, so he can't base out to the trapped leg's (legs'?) side without releasing one hand. I could maybe fall on my shoulder on that side and throw a leg around his body and try to push and straighten out of it?

2. I could perhaps tripod up on my legs and roll over? Or perhaps tripod and try to slide my head to the floor to the side of his body Garry Tonon style?

3. How about putting the elbow of the arm that isn't trapped on the opponent's body/throat or on the floor and the palm of that hand on my forehead to create a frame? Seems that makes that arm more avialable for the taking though, if it works then I still have to be careful when the opponent's hands come off.

I Want to try something out next practice, so any insights, concepts, footage would be welcome

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    1. Learn path to gogo.

2. Stop path before you are getting choked by gogo.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    1. Learn path to gogo.

2. Stop path before you are getting choked by gogo.
    +1

When learning how to defend any move, I've found it's important to learn the technical mechanics of pulling off the move. That way, you can break it down as the problems present themselves. His foot over your head? Keep it off. Tuck your chin. Just by knowing the attack going into the fight, we also know what to look for and therefore what must not be given and pretty soon, a quality chin-tuck becomes unconscious. It becomes a part of you as do any other escapes from the positions. But bigger than the gogoplata is just understanding that different attacks out there need certain prerequisites of leverage and physics to be completed, and intuitively we can figure out what the counters are to moves just by seeing what the guy on offense is looking for. Link positions together and pretty soon you have an overall portrait of the martial art. Thinking in principles cuts a guys paths to attack down, and might get him to react in a way that you would want him to instead of the opposite way around. First, gain the knowledge. Second, test it by being on the defensive and see what higher belts are catching you in, trying to stop them along the way. Third, as you feel the details come together, you start going for the stuff on offense against guys with less experience and test your knowledge vs. their knowledge. Get tapped and be surprised. That's straight. You took knowledge from it. It's all good.
    Saturday night, don't be smokin da heefer
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 02-07-2015 at 07:23 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    1. Put your opponent's back flat on the floor.

2. Square up.

3. Make sure the palm of your hand on your trapped arm is facing the ceiling.

4. Pull your arm out

5. Scream loudly, "That Eddie Bravo crap don't work!"
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    If someone who knows what they are doing has a gogo on you, and it's cinched up tight, the best way to get out of it is probably just to tap.

Bobby's advice is probably what you need to consider... stop them before it gets that far. Instead of asking "how do I resist the gogo" you might consider asking things like "how do I prevent NY. How do I defend them clearing my neck and getting to ChillDog. How do I defend the Kung Fu move". At a certain point, you're fucked so stop them before that point.
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 02-07-2015 at 09:14 PM.

I realize prevention is best, and put thought to that as well, but I'm still curious about worse scenarios, and there seems to be no written / taped lore on what to do when the gogo is all in or almost all in. The obvious one is grabbing the foot, but that seems like a bad idea since the opponent can zombie that arm and go for the Sorcerer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    1. Put your opponent's back flat on the floor.

2. Square up.

3. Make sure the palm of your hand on your trapped arm is facing the ceiling.

4. Pull your arm out

5. Scream loudly, "That Eddie Bravo crap don't work!"
    So you're using the moment that he's no longer hugging the trapping knee when he goes for the head pull? I haven't thought of it, will try this, thanks Brandon.

Array

School
    Shawn hammonds/Nashville MMA
    ahahaha my instructor has literally done that to me