Array

School
    Montalvo Martial Arts Lifestyle Center/10th Planet Omaha

Felxibilty Routine

Any recommendations on a routine to increase flexibility? I like Yoga and try to do as much as I can, I'm looking for something new and maybe a little "outside-the-box".

Array

School
    Marc Walder BJJ Academy, Essex, UK
    I just do basic jiu jitsu stretches to increase my flexability. i think Eddie reccommends in the rubber guard book to do 30 mins a day which is nothing really. I often just do my stretching in the evening while im just chilling watching tv. just 30 mins a day has increased my flexability so so much and my joints and muscles feel better in general, i'd reccommend it to anyone.

Array

School
    Alpha Omega in Lebanon, OR
    i'm stretching right now and i'm baked and waiting on the ice cubes so i can take another ICY HIT and chill. basically, i stretch all the time since i have so much time on my hands. i like butterfly stretches on my bed because i have a narrow bony ass and it hurts to sit on the ground after a while. at the gym we do p90x stretches and i try to incorporate butterfly stretches into them, like sitting in butterfly and fluttering while doing the shoulder stretches. i'm a weirdo but i'm high so i don't care. o, and i definitely recommend stretching while high, you can get that stretch sooooooo much deeper. have a great day

Array

School
    I do yoga high all the time love it! Unfortunately we're dry

Array

School
    Ronin
    I know he is not liked in many places, but I'm a huge fan of Scott Sonnon's "Grappler's Toolbox" and his flow focused version of yoga. Lot's of direct transfer to the System, and Scott gives lot's of shout outs to the rubber guard in his work.

Array

School
    Liverpool Vale Tudo
    The flexibility training you do depends entirely on what else you want to achieve. You could try Ashtanga, Hatha, or even Kundalini. Each style comes with it's different benefits. Ashtanga is focused on strength building, it's a very long and intense workout; Hatha is a lot more focused on restoration, and is my favourite; Kundalini is a great way of working with breathing techniques and meditation, although it can be a bit too spiritually inclined for some.

I practice 90 minutes of Ashtanga in the morning, and some restorative yoga after Jiu Jitsu. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is find what works for your body and develop your own "style". Do not force yourself to stretch to where you think you should be, you should never experience pain when you stretch.

I'm enjoying following David Procyshyn's Hatha Yoga videos, but watch the forward bends if you aren't already flexible. The start of this video is part of my warm up before Jiu Jitsu, as it's great to loosen the hips. I use my old blue belt for the postures that require a strap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDQNqZMv1V0

The best thing to do is find a reputable Yoga school near you and regularly attend class there. Your technique is extremely important if you want to avoid silly injuries when you practice alone. Without an experienced teacher to adjust your early mistakes, you could develop bad habits, causing more damage in the long run, rather than strengthening the body.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Chow View Post
    The flexibility training you do depends entirely on what else you want to achieve. You could try Ashtanga, Hatha, or even Kundalini. Each style comes with it's different benefits. Ashtanga is focused on strength building, it's a very long and intense workout; Hatha is a lot more focused on restoration, and is my favourite; Kundalini is a great way of working with breathing techniques and meditation, although it can be a bit too spiritually inclined for some.

I practice 90 minutes of Ashtanga in the morning, and some restorative yoga after Jiu Jitsu. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is find what works for your body and develop your own "style". Do not force yourself to stretch to where you think you should be, you should never experience pain when you stretch.

I'm enjoying following David Procyshyn's Hatha Yoga videos, but watch the forward bends if you aren't already flexible. The start of this video is part of my warm up before Jiu Jitsu, as it's great to loosen the hips. I use my old blue belt for the postures that require a strap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gDQNqZMv1V0

The best thing to do is find a reputable Yoga school near you and regularly attend class there. Your technique is extremely important if you want to avoid silly injuries when you practice alone. Without an experienced teacher to adjust your early mistakes, you could develop bad habits, causing more damage in the long run, rather than strengthening the body.
    Thanks I'll check that video out. Unfortunately I live in the middle of nowhere in western Nebraska and there are no yoga schools. I'm in the process of trying to find a job in the Denver/Boulder area so I can be a part of civilization again.

Array

School
    BJJ India (Professor Rodrigo Teixeira BJJ)
    I will be posting a flexibility routine video soon. Just w8 for sometime bro, little busy here with indian army.

That David Procyshn video was great. My flexibility at 35 sucks, but that routine seems like it will be perfect for me. Thank you

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Watch this. Do it every day. Thank me later.

"The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site