Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Pasadena
    Go to dog fight/threaten the back. If the leg that is locked down is becoming stiff and therefore is no longer applying the knee to the mat for base you should be able to take advantage of that and snake your way to the dog fight if you have the under-hook. if you don't have the under-hook, then the stomp to butterfly is usually your best bet. If he smells the dog fight coming and hits you with a hard wizzer then immediately go Plan B off his reaction. Timing is everything there as he will just reset his weight on you if your not taking advantage of the momentum.

Array

School
    KJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Compella View Post
    Go to dog fight/threaten the back. If the leg that is locked down is becoming stiff and therefore is no longer applying the knee to the mat for base you should be able to take advantage of that and snake your way to the dog fight if you have the under-hook. if you don't have the under-hook, then the stomp to butterfly is usually your best bet. If he smells the dog fight coming and hits you with a hard wizzer then immediately go Plan B off his reaction. Timing is everything there as he will just reset his weight on you if your not taking advantage of the momentum.
    Darn, I've been so focused on the sweeps, stomps and the butterfly that I totally forgot about switching to the dogfight! Talk about forgetting your 101s. :x

Thanks for the pro tip, will definitely try that out!

Side note: I find that my stomp to butterfly doesn't really work with dudes who have really strong legs - their thigh squeeze is usually more powerful than my mermaid. Then I just end up stuck halfway, and sometimes just transition to traditional half for the escape shown in MTS81 (or was it 82?)

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    This!
    www.10thplanetchicago.com
    Chicago Original
    Wrestling Saves Lives
    Caveman Coffee Supporter
    www.cavemancoffeeco.com
    The Only Easy Day Was Yesterday - Jeff Mirabella

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Powder keg!!!

I use Pablo Popovitch's half guard as well, especially cauze it's very different from that of Eddie. So I can attack my opponent from different angles.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    That's a great answer.

I was gonna respond with some help, but nah. Compella got this.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    KJJ
    You guys are awesome. Seriously, seriously awesome.

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by mountveggie View Post
    Darn, I've been so focused on the sweeps, stomps and the butterfly that I totally forgot about switching to the dogfight! Talk about forgetting your 101s. :x

Thanks for the pro tip, will definitely try that out!

Side note: I find that my stomp to butterfly doesn't really work with dudes who have really strong legs - their thigh squeeze is usually more powerful than my mermaid. Then I just end up stuck halfway, and sometimes just transition to traditional half for the escape shown in MTS81 (or was it 82?)
    Compella's answer was top notch I would add though, that if your issue us that they are out "thigh squeezing" your mermaid, that you could always fake butterfly sweep them that way a bit to make them widen their knees a little bit for base which should relax the squeeze enough to get it done

Array

School
    RONIN
    when someone stiffens there leg against me. I rock side to side on my hips back and forth and then push up with my arms on his upper body and lift him with my legs. Pretty hard to stop when you chain it all together. So i guess MOVEMENT IS KEY!

Array

School
    KJJ
    Great answers guys

Brian - That sounds really interesting, but I'm having a bit of trouble visualising the actual technique. How do I fake/threaten a butterfly sweep when I'm flat on my back with my training partner flattening me down, and all I have is an overhook and stomp?

Brent - Combine side to side (on the hip) + vertical movement, got it. Can't wait to test this out!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast