Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ

How to be energy efficient on the bottom

Check out this beautiful guard pass by my 'master' Adem Redzovic (side note: leads nicely into twister side)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woJw0GA_7eM

Now in dealing with him earlier today, he passed in a nearly identical manner. Now having seen this video before rolling with him, I knew what to expect and I had definitely felt this in the past. He says this works on 99% of guys and I figured the one percent were the guys that time and execute that next transition. When we rolled, instead of shrimping out and giving space for his shin to slide through, I conserved the clinch and pinched my knees and tried to get to lockdown, which I succeeded at on 1 out of 3 attempts. The other two, he turned his hips and advanced past my line of defense to keep balancing. He's amazing at this type of passing; just post your hands out, making him feel your weight, and slipping past a guy's points of contact. It's like he's taken the concept of applying pressure and turned it into an art.

In any case, securing the clinch can be a very draining thing and it's tough to latch on forever. Getting on my side and getting a deep underhook can be tough too if he has a good knee pinch and is totally based out on all fours. Dealing with this level of passing is the type where you know it only takes one mistake for him to smash you. Be interested to hear what you all think
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 02-22-2015 at 06:40 PM.

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    That's beautifully simple. Will drill tonight

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    It's like a timing pass, it unfolds almost effortlessly. So elegant.

I want to see this in a live roll!
    Last edited by Craig Murray; 02-23-2015 at 02:01 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    It's like a timing pass, it unfolds almost effortlessly. So elegant.

I want to see this in a live roll!
    Just that idea of basing my hands out and having my hips elevated puts the onus on him to move, and you can stay mobile with the footwork. It's been extremely effective for me just over the last few days. I notice Caio Terra even passed in a style very similar to this in this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8VT9WxTtK4

Array

School
    10th Planet Long Beach
    I used a variation of this in class today but instead of leg weaving and going to that twister side position, I would leg weave and then just zip on through with the knee slice. It was working pretty well for me. Gotta try it out some more and see.