School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    They let blue belts teach there, huh?

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Gustaveson View Post
    They let blue belts teach there, huh?
    No, this was the first guy I've ever live sparred with. It was some open mat time.

Array

School
    Best Way Jiu Jitsu South Cooast
    If you've only live sparred once, I don't think you have an understanding of what works and what doesn't. I would tell you to work on basics. That doesn't mean don't play rubberguard, it means work on your basics. Basic guard pass recovery, kimuras from guard, armbars and triangles from guard. Basic rubberguard set ups. I think that if you are spending time working double bags, that may not be the most beneficial move for you right now. Play Rubberguard, but understand that it is a very minimal part of the Jiu Jitsu universe. Do you know how to get out of a headlock? Or the punch block system? My point is don't get too sucked into RG, when there are many different things that you need to learn, especially in the begining

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mayall View Post
    Do you know how to get out of a headlock? Or the punch block system?
    Yeah this stuff is all over the curriculum. At Lovato's we get 4 whitebelt strips, plus yellow, orange, and green. Each step has a curriculum that must be learned. Each test begins at the beginning of the curriculum and progresses through the current rank.

The idea is pretty much drilling and positional sparring of fundamentals until you get to blue. I'm already getting plenty of that and it's going to continue for 1-2 years.

I don't have the illusion that a closed guard game is anything other than 1 branch of the JJ tree.

I appreciate the advice. I need fundamentals, I know it. I'm working on it with probably 85% of my time. Only during open mat time have I even entered Mission Control.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    He passed my weak side leg.

I was on the toilet this morning reading Mastering the Rubber Guard and one thing Eddie points out is that we must have a tight knee pinch if we are to ever open our guard for rubber guard. The rubber guard can be rendered completely ineffective if it's a weak knee pinch and he's able to, as you experienced, kill the weak side leg. This is a great defense. But I'd recommend consciously thinking about that knee pinch, cuz the posture break alone is never enough.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Mayall View Post
    If you've only live sparred once, I don't think you have an understanding of what works and what doesn't. I would tell you to work on basics. That doesn't mean don't play rubberguard, it means work on your basics. Basic guard pass recovery, kimuras from guard, armbars and triangles from guard. Basic rubberguard set ups. I think that if you are spending time working double bags, that may not be the most beneficial move for you right now. Play Rubberguard, but understand that it is a very minimal part of the Jiu Jitsu universe. Do you know how to get out of a headlock? Or the punch block system? My point is don't get too sucked into RG, when there are many different things that you need to learn, especially in the begining
    +1 on working the basics

Array

School
    Gracie Humaita Winnipeg
    as a white belt, your focus should be on defense. Be that white belt who's impossible to tap. Then worry about getting subs

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Ronin
    ^^^^^what he said. I would solely worry about escapes and transition before I would worry bout rubberguard etc. Blue belt is the art of surviving. Worry bout getting in an out of bad spots and being comfortable there before you worry about getting the sub.
    10th Planet, It's How I Roll

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig Murray View Post
    No, this was the first guy I've ever live sparred with. It was some open mat time.
    Then I wouldn't worry too much about his advice.

Well, you have been training for only 3 months, you're at a non 10th planet school, they teach you the curriculum and you finally get to roll and go rubber guard and double bag? Or course someone would probably say something, lol

You train at a school where the guy is a legend, they have a formula and a way to teach white belts and you immediately want to do your own thing whenever you get a chance it seems from reading your posts

It would be the same if you were trying to berimbolo every time after 3 months

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast