Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ

Elaborating on dog fight & adding Ronda's armbar

Just seems that when I get to dogfight, this one black belt I've been sparring with lately (KSW champ, ex-UFC vet) goes for and nails the uchimata if I attempt any wrestling on him. He's too strong and smart for the powder keg and plan B, he uchimatas HARD if I go for the transition to spider web, so about the only success I've had is swimming to deep half and trying for an electric chair, but he's mastered how to use his weight there too. We're having constant battles within this realm of dogfight and I've yet to sweep or submit him, but the combos are definitely keeping him on his toes and I've gotten back to full guard a couple times. Only a matter of time in my eyes, but I was just brainstorming and thinking about Ronda's judo armbar and wondering if there could be an addition to the system somewhere in this sequence, even a variation of it. Perhaps from the limp arm? I figure it would depend on where the guy on top is keeping his hands after the whizzer. I can limp arm out of him no problem, but there's not a shot in hell I'm out-wrestling this dude. Not today, anyway. I've been playing with that Ronda type of armbar the last couple days and caught it on a guy today from mount. Food for thought. Brainstorms on how to continue throwing ammunition at this beast of a black beltch would be very gracious
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 03-02-2015 at 08:02 PM.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    The limp arm to swim move transition is called the drowning wizard. Good luck catching anything on a legit bb. I would ask him what he would do.

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    I think it would be easier to set up that Ronda style arm bar off of a dogfight counter actually. You already have the arm trapped in the arm pit and you just have to step over the head with the near side leg

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    The limp arm to swim move transition is called the drowning wizard. Good luck catching anything on a legit bb. I would ask him what he would do.
    We've been talking about it for sure. His suggestion is just to keep on the offensive and not to get stuck in the lockdown if I'm not attacking. His idea is that as long as I'm attacking, I'm not defending.haha I forgot the name of the drowning wizard, but i've been doing the limp arm for awhile. We've been starting from half-guard positional startup and been having some battles and reason I ask is because the one thing that gives me the slightest of edges (despite his 20 lb weight advantage, muscle mass, and 8-10 extra years on the mat) is the fact that I'm studying the 10p system. He's been asking about it a lot tho. He's really open-minded fortunately and been giving me tips about how I could improve the attacks and adding 10p techniques I bring to the table, and it's forcing him to also develop some good counters that work for him. We've had some battles though and I felt it wouldn't hurt to reach out and get different perspectives.
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 03-03-2015 at 06:12 AM.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by hespectnogi View Post
    I think it would be easier to set up that Ronda style arm bar off of a dogfight counter actually. You already have the arm trapped in the arm pit and you just have to step over the head with the near side leg

I think I could visualize it. On that end, I've had some good success with the uchimata if the guy goes dogfight, but I'll definitely look for it there.

Array

School
    Are you familiar with the 'twist back' hook? Your outside leg becomes a butterfly hook behind his knee pinning it to the ground while your other leg curls and picks his foot up. With an underhook this is the strongest dogfight position. When you get here he really can't stop the plan b. Getting there can be tricky and takes reps.

Array

School
    I would take the 'Ronda' style armbar out of the equation for now. I assume your talking about the shotgun style of finish. It's better to hunt for spider web, but in your situation it would be a huge victory to get the sweep and the pass ending in top side.

Ronda was opportunistic when Cat grabbed her head from the bottom. Cat set it up, and Ronda capitalized.

Array

School
    Are you familiar with the 'twist back' hook? Your outside leg becomes a butterfly hook behind his knee pinning it to the ground while your other leg curls and picks his foot up. With an underhook this is the strongest dogfight position. When you get here he really can't stop the plan b. Getting there can be tricky and takes reps.
    I'll definitely look into that, thx.

Array

School
    I would take the 'Ronda' style armbar out of the equation for now. I assume your talking about the shotgun style of finish. It's better to hunt for spider web, but in your situation it would be a huge victory to get the sweep and the pass ending in top side.

Ronda was opportunistic when Cat grabbed her head from the bottom. Cat set it up, and Ronda capitalized.

Since the fight though, I've been looking for it and have seen it a couple times now that I'm aware of it. No doubt Ronda was opportunistic, but it seems that it may present itself somewhere in this situation. I figure it'll take enough time in the position to know for sure.

Array

School
    Wow so I hadn't dug deep enough before into Advanced Rubber Guard but I just found a few new approaches I hadn't thought of. They start with that opposite leg for sure. I'll collaborate with him and will heturn.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast