School
    Watkins TKD and BJJ Arlington TX
    Blue

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by ErikLavigne View Post
    Blue
    Just out of curiosity, did you demote yourself to whitebelt when you came back after the long break, or was that at the request of your new instructor? If it was your choice, what made that decision for you? A respect thing, or were you just not confident in your rusty skills?

Array

School
    I moved myself down. I am in no way a blue belt in my opinion. I can't consistantly hit basic techniques, body positioning feels off still...just a lot of factors that don't add up. Plus I could care less about a belt honestly. I'm in it to learn for my line of work,to stay in shape, to have fun and to pass something on to my kids. The belt doesn't matter. If I do a tournament, I'll let my instructor tell me where he wants me to compete in. I do feel bad for the white belts in class though, they thought they had fresh meat when I first joined lol.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    I do feel bad for the white belts in class though, they thought they had fresh meat when I first joined lol.
    Not only are you not fresh meat, you're coming at them with stuff they have never seen before! I bet they crap themselves when you EC sweep them.

Array

School
    It's the rubber guard that they are most intrigued with. Most admit to playing around with RG but didn't realize there was so much to it. Some told me they've grabbed their ankle to hold people in a crappy RG, but could never control anyone. So after nailing the Carni a few times they realized I actually had steps and a path to take. Most of the class realized quick it was not wise to let me break their posture.

Now I'm stuck in that position where the blue belts and white belts want me to show them stuff, but I don't want to offend the instructor. Most of the time if they ask "what did you do to me?" I'll just demonstrate real quick on someone else with no break down.

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia Academy, NYC
    There's nothing more annoying than when you're working on a new technique and someone tells you its a waste of time because there is a counter. There is a counter to every technique.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Most of the class realized quick it was not wise to let me break their posture.
    How are you fairing with this once they know, are you getting them broken down in the gi? And how is your Zombie working out? Do they like to grab you belt, your lapels?

Array

School
    What most of them have been doing is once I zombie the arm they reach around my leg and grab their own belt. Kind of like a triangle defense. They just don't understand what to do yet. I usually zombie all at once, they haven't had much chance to defend against it.

I caught some flak learning lockdown because a previous instructor said it tied me to my opponent too much. But that's just because I wasn't good at the mini stomp transition yet. Your instructor may be a bit narrow minded at the moment, but looking at his advice in another light is he not just saying to perfect your transitions between lockdown half and other half guards and guards? Good advice. And as a ronin you got to ignore the narrow mindedness (last resort/etc. comments). Work/drill your game.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    What most of them have been doing is once I zombie the arm they reach around my leg and grab their own belt. Kind of like a triangle defense. They just don't understand what to do yet. I usually zombie all at once, they haven't had much chance to defend against it.
    Wow, that sounds like a blast So they are giving you free New Yorks pretty much all the time. Do you get free Chill Dogs as well?

If they hook around your leg and grab their own belt, isn't that like asking for an omoplata?

What are you finishing them with?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast