Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet Jiu Jitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidrob View Post
    I believe Rafa gets paid to go out there, compete, does some seminars, etc...

Probably some good cash and a nice trip to Japan
    That's a good point. No pressure either.
    #10thplanetFREAKS

I believe Rafa gets paid to go out there, compete, does some seminars, etc...

Probably some good cash and a nice trip to Japan
    yeah man. Bull Terrier was their first sponsor and released their first set of DVDs. They may not have even been black belts at the time.

Yeah they get paid to come out and do seminars and compete. I can't say for sure but Japan has a history of showmanship in fighting and some squash matches, so they may be told to kind of put on a show. I'm not sure how it works.

Really bummed Rafa isn't doing ADCC.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    His whole game is flow. It felt like he could've submitted the guys in several different ways but didn't want to insist or sacrifice position for submission, and the armbars just kinda came as a result.

Yeah, there first tapes were at Brown belt I believe, I would believe they are told to match the matches go a little longer, Rafa taps out dudes at the worlds quickers than that all the time. These are great highlight reel matches, great to market with

Yeah man, sucks Rafa isn't doing ADCC this year

Yeah, there first tapes were at Brown belt I believe, I would believe they are told to match the matches go a little longer, Rafa taps out dudes at the worlds quickers than that all the time. These are great highlight reel matches, great to market with

Yeah man, sucks Rafa isn't doing ADCC this year
    Man those old brown belt dvds are some of the most complicated ones ever made too. Super advanced stuff on there.

I hate the ADCC thing but hopefully he does another no-gi superfight or something this year. I wish I could see him compete no-gi more than once every 2 years.

Array

School
    10th Planet Birmingham UK
    One of the greatest ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Arman Fathi View Post
    His whole game is flow. It felt like he could've submitted the guys in several different ways but didn't want to insist or sacrifice position for submission, and the armbars just kinda came as a result.
    I think so too.

I don't think he would've even really needed to insist or sacrifice position to finish earlier. I don't think it's a bad thing but I think he wanted a highlight reel and to put on a show for the Japanese crowd. If you watch the full matches they are each 10 minute time matches and once they all get to 9 minutes in he goes ahead and takes the finish.

I'm kind of a fanboy on this forum for Rafa but he blew through everyone at the past 2 Worlds and was tapping top shelf guys in a couple minutes or less. Justin Rader is a NoGi Worlds champ and ADCC Bronze medalist. Rafa blew through him at 2 ADCCs in a combined 2-3 mins. I think Rafa could have finished these 5 matches in 5 or 6 minutes without sacrificing position if that was really what he wanted to do.

It was definitely highlight reel stuff, he dragged out the matches for show

The Mendes brothers have been building there brand for years, showing there bjj to be the best and next level stuff, everything they do is part of the plan and they are suceeding with how they want to be seen and the image they promote

It was definitely highlight reel stuff, he dragged out the matches for show

The Mendes brothers have been building there brand for years, showing there bjj to be the best and next level stuff, everything they do is part of the plan and they are suceeding with how they want to be seen and the image they promote
    I agree totally.

By the way what do you think about the people that are talking about this video and this Rickson cup video being a little disrespectful by dragging out the matches for so long and embarrassing the other competitors by toying with them like a cat plays with its dinner. This was actually the poster for the event. Do you think those complaints have any weight?

220365269.v1427364498.jpg

I don't see it as disrespectful, it's like they are doing crazy celebrations, making faces, etc...

They love the Japan trips it seems

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast