Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Techniques

Array

School
    SSF

Techniques

I have been studying the 10th Planet system off and on through the years as I was finshing my Black Belt with Gracie Barra and the Army Combatives Program that I teach as well as some other MMA related stuff. Now that I am focusing mainly on the 10th Planet System what are the core things you would say to focus on in order ie.. warm ups, rubber guard, lock down, techniques from the truck etc....

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    In the words of Bruce Lee "Be water, my friend". Everyone's 10th Planet game looks different. Def try to grasp the terminology and learn the paths. Each position is like a tree stump with many branches. Eddie's books help a lot, along with MTS. 10th Planet is constantly changing and growing. It is a living organism. Welcome to the fam.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by jaycmar101 View Post
    Now that I am focusing mainly on the 10th Planet System what are the core things you would say to focus on in order ie.. warm ups, rubber guard, lock down, techniques from the truck etc....

It's good that you got solid fundamentals. I've seen a fair amount of people in and out of the 10p network that are focused on 10p specific technique first and foremost and the amount of holes they leave is mind-boggling. I'd say that lockdown and the truck especially are absolute GOLD. They've been money in the bank for my game, particularly against a good number of higher belts, especially the truck for guys that haven't invested in it. Rubber guard is an acquired taste, and my palate is not quite akin to it yet. Much like people move on from beer or wine to whiskey or scotch in older age, I've gone from no closed guard, to two-on-one closed guard, to Gracie closed guard, and slowly but surely moving into a primarily rubber guard game. The gi makes it easier and gives more options, lemme tell ya. But all the stuff is good stuff. It's the fundamentals like understanding posture control, good base, hand fighting, underhooks/overhooks, things like that that will make it work though.
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 07-09-2015 at 07:39 AM.

Array

School
    SBG Rochdale (FCPC)
    If you're a black belt and still actively roll, you could just choose whatever interests you the most and make your way to that position and practice it.

My lockdown game developed faster than others because I just find myself in that position the most. It's quite easy to pull half guard also.

I find practicing rubberguard hard purely due to people being so good at passing open guard at my place. Maybe its just my shitty guard retention haha.

I think the warmups are seen as very important for 10pJJ across the board so we all should be practicing them alot regardless of your main interests.

Array

School
    SSF
    Thanks for all the replies guys!

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by Arman Fathi View Post
    It's good that you got solid fundamentals. I've seen a fair amount of people in and out of the 10p network that are focused on 10p specific technique first and foremost and the amount of holes they leave is mind-boggling. I'd say that lockdown and the truck especially are absolute GOLD. They've been money in the bank for my game, particularly against a good number of higher belts, especially the truck for guys that haven't invested in it. Rubber guard is an acquired taste, and my palate is not quite akin to it yet. Much like people move on from beer or wine to whiskey or scotch in older age, I've gone from no closed guard, to two-on-one closed guard, to Gracie closed guard, and slowly but surely moving into a primarily rubber guard game. The gi makes it easier and gives more options, lemme tell ya. But all the stuff is good stuff. It's the fundamentals like understanding posture control, good base, hand fighting, underhooks/overhooks, things like that that will make it work though.
    If you have found someone legit that trains at an actual 10th Planet affiliate that is lacking fundementals then that particular person hadnt been putting work in, dont lump it in as the "10p Network". 10th Planet stresses fundementals, if you dont know that you haven't been paying attention.
    Last edited by Chris Herzog; 07-10-2015 at 08:08 AM.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    If you have found someone legit that trains at an actual 10th Planet affiliate that is lacking fundementals then that particular person hadnt been putting work in, dont lump it in as the "10p Network". 10th Planet stresses fundementals, if you dont know that you haven't been paying attention.
    I'm not trying to piss off the man here. Not my intention. Don't get it twisted. From what I've witnessed, there are some (and not a reflection of the instructor mind you, more just a reflection of the person) that I've trained with that will steamroll thru their warm-ups and do reps that are not conducive to effective execution in a roll. These are the same guys that are content with doing 10 or 12 shitty reps as fast as they can rather than 4 or 5 that are solid, efficient, and well-timed. Again, I never said it was a reflection of the instructor and I was NOT taking a shot at 10th Planet or it's program. I believe in its effectiveness. That's the reason I'm here. I use the term 'network' loosely. I merely meant that coming in as a black belt already will make it easier to understand how and why 10th Planet specific techniques work. In other words, the principles that govern why the lockdown, rubber guard, or truck work are generally beyond the scope of teaching in one or two classes, and having that solid foundation already will make it a seamless transition. I've gotten absolutely owned by 10th Planet brown & black belts by their own stuff, stuff that I've studied, read, watched, learned in person, what have you. I've also had my fair share of success using 10th planet specific technique at 10th planet schools, despite what the color on my belt may indicate at face value. But there are also guys I've trained with, 10th planet or non-10th planet, that will disregard what their instructor preaches and are more concerned with getting mat time. This is mat time where they are leaving inefficiencies in their game and will bitch and moan when they get tapped out rather than accept the lesson and be grateful for the fact that another hole in their game got exposed. I can't imagine, nor have I witnessed, a guy like this hanging around and getting an endorsement from a guy like yourself or Eddie to garner a black belt. 10th planet stresses fundamentals, there's no doubt about that. That does not mean that every student that walks into the doors of a 10th planet school has the same priority of making fundamentals the core of their game.
    Last edited by Arman Fathi; 07-10-2015 at 03:04 PM.

Array

School
    Cristiano Ribeiro BJJ/ 10P Chicago
    Quote Originally Posted by Arman Fathi View Post
    I'm not trying to piss off the man here. Not my intention. Don't get it twisted. From what I've witnessed, there are some (and not a reflection of the instructor mind you, more just a reflection of the person) that I've trained with that will steamroll thru their warm-ups and do reps that are not conducive to effective execution in a roll. These are the same guys that are content with doing 10 or 12 shitty reps as fast as they can rather than 4 or 5 that are solid, efficient, and well-timed. Again, I never said it was a reflection of the instructor and I was NOT taking a shot at 10th Planet or it's program. I believe in its effectiveness. That's the reason I'm here. I use the term 'network' loosely. I merely meant that coming in as a black belt already will make it easier to understand how and why 10th Planet specific techniques work. In other words, the principles that govern why the lockdown, rubber guard, or truck work are generally beyond the scope of teaching in one or two classes, and having that solid foundation already will make it a seamless transition. I've gotten absolutely owned by 10th Planet brown & black belts by their own stuff, stuff that I've studied, read, watched, learned in person, what have you. I've also had my fair share of success using 10th planet specific technique at 10th planet schools, despite what the color on my belt may indicate at face value. But there are also guys I've trained with, 10th planet or non-10th planet, that will disregard what their instructor preaches and are more concerned with getting mat time. This is mat time where they are leaving inefficiencies in their game and will bitch and moan when they get tapped out rather than accept the lesson and be grateful for the fact that another hole in their game got exposed. I can't imagine, nor have I witnessed, a guy like this hanging around and getting an endorsement from a guy like yourself or Eddie to garner a black belt. 10th planet stresses fundamentals, there's no doubt about that. That does not mean that every student that walks into the doors of a 10th planet school has the same priority of making fundamentals the core of their game.
    Yeah Arman's not hating. You represent yourself and your own game before your school and instructor. If someone goes to train with Roger Gracie for 3 years there's no guarantee that they're going to have rock solid fundamentals and discipline unless they themselves understand the importance of drilling the basics and having attention to detail.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by hespectnogi View Post
    Yeah Arman's not hating. You represent yourself and your own game before your school and instructor. If someone goes to train with Roger Gracie for 3 years there's no guarantee that they're going to have rock solid fundamentals and discipline unless they themselves understand the importance of drilling the basics and having attention to detail.
    Thats my point, its not the 10th Planet System thats flawed its the individual. Its no different than someone training in any affiliation and only practicing berimbolos and 50/50 guard. Don't lump it into it being a "10th Planet thing"
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Thats my point, its not the 10th Planet System thats flawed its the individual. Its no different than someone training in any affiliation and only practicing berimbolos and 50/50 guard. Don't lump it into it being a "10th Planet thing"
    seriously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast