Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)

Some may time is better than no mat time?

It's been maybe a year since I've been on the mats. When I had the money, I didn't have the time. When I had the time, I didn't have the money. Now I will have the money, but time is still an issue. I work until 630 pm. The only classes from legit schools start at 6. Some classes start at 7 but they're advanced classes. I doubt they'll let me in that.

So I find a karate school that "teaches BJJ." They fit my schedule perfectly. Besides having to wear a gi, I'm just concerned about if it would be worth my time, money, and energy. My general philosophy is that any mat time is better than no mat time. And this is pretty much the only realistic option for me at the present time.

You guys think I should go for it?

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    It's been maybe a year since I've been on the mats. When I had the money, I didn't have the time. When I had the time, I didn't have the money. Now I will have the money, but time is still an issue. I work until 630 pm. The only classes from legit schools start at 6. Some classes start at 7 but they're advanced classes. I doubt they'll let me in that.

So I find a karate school that "teaches BJJ." They fit my schedule perfectly. Besides having to wear a gi, I'm just concerned about if it would be worth my time, money, and energy. My general philosophy is that any mat time is better than no mat time. And this is pretty much the only realistic option for me at the present time.

You guys think I should go for it?
    I'd ask the bjj instructor's rank, where/who he got his belt from as far as the Karate school goes.

For the 7pm advanced classes, I'd talk to the owner/instructors, tell them your time constraint situation and previous training/coaches/gyms. Maybe they'll let you slide into the advanced classes at their discretion. Maybe you might already meet the criteria for them so it's best to ask. You never know =D.

Array

School
    Trials MMA
    Absolutely dude.

Array

School
    10th Planet HQ, Gracie Academy HQ
    Mat time > No Mat time

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    Talk to the guys at the good schools. Let them know your situation. They'll probably let you do the advanced class.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    Talk to the guys at the good schools. Let them know your situation. They'll probably let you do the advanced class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enrique "Kiko" View Post
    I'd ask the bjj instructor's rank, where/who he got his belt from as far as the Karate school goes.

For the 7pm advanced classes, I'd talk to the owner/instructors, tell them your time constraint situation and previous training/coaches/gyms. Maybe they'll let you slide into the advanced classes at their discretion. Maybe you might already meet the criteria for them so it's best to ask. You never know =D.
    True. The last school I attended let me into the no gi classes even though they were reserved for blues only. It was nice that they trusted that a year long 10th planet white belt could hang.

As far as asking the instructors about lineage/rank, I've never had to do it. Most schools proudly put it out there. What would be a tactful way to go about it.

Either way, I think I found a school that would fit. Florian Martial arts. As long as it's not $200 per month, that might be my next move.

Thanks for the input.

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    Def any mat time is better than none (Gi or nogi, leg locks or no leg locks). Heck any form of grappling.

You always got me to too in terms of referrals/suggestions, I cross train and visit alot of diff schools around the MA area. I'm out of town starting Mon to visit HQ and a few other Cali schools, but when I get back would be cool to reconnect!

Array

School
    10th Planet Beaumont
    Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Mccaghren View Post
    This 100%. Especially if your a beginner, matt time with bad instruction can just build bad habits. Then it may create hard feelings and rivalries when you latter leave your low level white belt instructor for someone who knows what they are talking about. Or you remain a "good guy" and stay, never get better and get injured allot.

This all seems harsh but I've seen this all over and over again. Your asking pretty much a loaded question with "is some mat time better than none". If someone came to my school with this situation, you could for sure come to my advanced class.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by HerbChao View Post
    Def any mat time is better than none (Gi or nogi, leg locks or no leg locks). Heck any form of grappling.

You always got me to too in terms of referrals/suggestions, I cross train and visit alot of diff schools around the MA area. I'm out of town starting Mon to visit HQ and a few other Cali schools, but when I get back would be cool to reconnect!
    Definitely, man. Looking forward to it.

Barncat, thanks for the input. Good points.