Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    He's definitely an elite guy in submission grappling. He subbed two other really good IBJJF guys at ADCC. Then he lost to Rafa and Rader based on the rules of ADCC. Definitely no shame in that. He just got beat under the rules. The GQ and Tonon performances are admirable also.

But, his performance on Saturday was probably not what people were expecting given the hype based on performance in IBJJF rules comps. A lot of the competitors' games allowed them to get regulation time subs on Saturday. His inversion spamming game just wasn't one of them.

His game could evolve in the future or he could start performing better for some other reason. But, so far it seems like his game performs a lot better in an IBJJF environment. I mean it makes sense, he has apparently designed and honed his game for the IBJJF and it performs best there. That's not a knock on him. They're just two slightly different sports, and his game seems better suited for one of them (so far).

Didn't he just sub 2 guys in OT by RNC? He lost by escape time, who cares about that?

You think less of Geo losing the same way to Soto?

You guys know what weight Joao competes at in Worlds?

127 lbs

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    I think it's perfectly fine to get subs in OT. I admire everyone who competed.

But, that doesn't change the fact that a lot of guys were able to get subs during regulation. Cummings got 4 of them. Miyao had 30 minutes of regulation grappling and got zero.

His performance just wasn't as good in that regard. It's not a bad thing. It's just the fact of the matter. He didn't do as well in regulation time as others. Cummings got all his guys in regulation and won the whole tournament. He never had to take the risk of overtime loss becaus his game is well suited to finishing in regulation.

If Miyao's game was better suited to winning in regulation he might not have had to go to OT with Soto and might have made the finals.

Array

School
    Guerrilla Bjj Modesto, California
    I think Miyao is tired/over training. You have to think this kid has done a tournament every weekend since Worlds the first week of June. He has flown to many tournaments. You can't win every tournament when you are competing this many times. They are all over youtube where everyone is trying to figure out their game. Everyone is trying to crab ride now which is basically taking guard passing to a way different level especially for those flexible guys you can never pass. I love EBI. I love Ibjjf I love grappling in general gi and no-gi. There is definitely strategy for all types of tournament. Miyao was not too impressive at EBI because everyone was trying to back out of the berimbolo without the gi its going to be more difficult to pull this off. Joe Soto had the best strategy for EBI get Miyao to the overtime and ride him out. Without a shirt he was very slippery and was able to hoola hoop escape. Miyao is good in any format. I think it was much better for EBI to have Eddie the champion because he is the type of figure who could grow this promotion to even larger heights. I love EBI and the rule set to always have a winner which is what it's about.

Array

School
    10th Planet Grants Pass
    I became a real big fan of Miyao. He looked for the kill in ebi 4 just couldn't quiet get it in regulation. But his control and aggressiveness was awesome
    LIKE 10th Planet Grants Pass on Facebook!!
    FOLLOW @10P_GP
    10thplanetgrantspass.com

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidrob View Post
    Lol at the elite in parentheses, some of you guys crack me up
    When I put elite in parentheses I wasn't denying that Joao is elite. I mean, cmon, his resume speaks for itself. I was implying that he was likely perceived as being THE MOST elite guy at EBI. The reason I say this is because on other forums, the expectation was that Joao is so damn elite that he would burn through everyone at EBI. And you make great points about how he's subbed a ton of people. And yet, he couldn't sub Soto. So the assumption that EBI doesn't have elite competition isn't completely true. And further, the assumption that being an IBJJF medalist makes you more elite than others who aren't is inaccurate as well. There is no doubt that Joao is elite. But so are guys like Geo and Cummings and apparently Soto. That was more my point.

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Whiteside View Post
    I think Miyao is tired/over training. You have to think this kid has done a tournament every weekend since Worlds the first week of June. He has flown to many tournaments. You can't win every tournament when you are competing this many times. They are all over youtube where everyone is trying to figure out their game. Everyone is trying to crab ride now which is basically taking guard passing to a way different level especially for those flexible guys you can never pass. I love EBI. I love Ibjjf I love grappling in general gi and no-gi. There is definitely strategy for all types of tournament. Miyao was not too impressive at EBI because everyone was trying to back out of the berimbolo without the gi its going to be more difficult to pull this off. Joe Soto had the best strategy for EBI get Miyao to the overtime and ride him out. Without a shirt he was very slippery and was able to hoola hoop escape. Miyao is good in any format. I think it was much better for EBI to have Eddie the champion because he is the type of figure who could grow this promotion to even larger heights. I love EBI and the rule set to always have a winner which is what it's about.
    Good post. From what I know, they train constantly. Hours upon hours. Throw in competing and I can imagine it takes a toll even on the most well conditioned guys. With a few "no name" guys on the card, my guess is that he thought it was going to be a walk in the park. But it seems that EBI was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Array

School
    Guerrilla Bjj Modesto, California
    Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    Good post. From what I know, they train constantly. Hours upon hours. Throw in competing and I can imagine it takes a toll even on the most well conditioned guys. With a few "no name" guys on the card, my guess is that he thought it was going to be a walk in the park. But it seems that EBI was the straw that broke the camel's back.
    I honestly think He only cares about Ibjjf Gi worlds. These kids think differently then most. They don't care about money. They don't care about what most of us care about. I think all of these tournaments are just stepping stones to peak at Worlds next year in June. I don't think Miyao even cared about winning $20,000 I think he just saw it as an opportunity to compete. Honestly if he really thought about money or anything like that I'm sure he would have not competed in the Boston Open or in Las Vegas to save himself for ADCC. I think the only title he wants is IBJJF World Championship and that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by David Rosado View Post
    When I put elite in parentheses I wasn't denying that Joao is elite. I mean, cmon, his resume speaks for itself. I was implying that he was likely perceived as being THE MOST elite guy at EBI. The reason I say this is because on other forums, the expectation was that Joao is so damn elite that he would burn through everyone at EBI. And you make great points about how he's subbed a ton of people. And yet, he couldn't sub Soto. So the assumption that EBI doesn't have elite competition isn't completely true. And further, the assumption that being an IBJJF medalist makes you more elite than others who aren't is inaccurate as well. There is no doubt that Joao is elite. But so are guys like Geo and Cummings and apparently Soto. That was more my point.
    There you go again, lol, Joe Soto isn't apparently elite, you don't become automatically elite because you didn't get subbed by Joao or Geo for that matter, you have to compete and do well in major competitions

You can't take a show like this and make all these wild decisions on the eliteness of people

Dont nobody care about escape time wins

Some of you guys post with such an agenda it's tough to take your opinions seriously

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast