Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Array

School
    Ronin (10thP Rochester roots)
    Interesting POV. I don't doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Whiteside View Post
    I honestly think He only cares about Ibjjf Gi worlds. These kids think differently then most. They don't care about money. They don't care about what most of us care about. I think all of these tournaments are just stepping stones to peak at Worlds next year in June. I don't think Miyao even cared about winning $20,000 I think he just saw it as an opportunity to compete. Honestly if he really thought about money or anything like that I'm sure he would have not competed in the Boston Open or in Las Vegas to save himself for ADCC. I think the only title he wants is IBJJF World Championship and that is all.
    Yeah, this is very much true from what I've heard about them. They want to win IBJJF world titles first and foremost.

As far as the whole elite vs not elite and IBJJF thing, the reason why many people care about IBJJF results isn't even because they even like the IBJJF. ironically a lot of the best competitors dislike it and dislike the rules, the ref biases, etc. Rodolfo Vieira is legendary, one of the most successful IBJJF guys ever, and he hates it. He doesn't even do Pans anymore. Just the Worlds. He prefers to get paid and get treated better.

But it is often really easy to draw a correlation between IBJJF success and skill because so many of the world's best do a lot of IBJJF events. You have people that show up and do every Worlds, every Pans, every Europeans, every NoGi Worlds, every ADCC, and those are typically the events where you see the toughest competition. There are lots of IBJJF alternatives on the rise.

The Abu Dhabi World Pro is great, FIVE is great, Gracie Nationals is great, Polaris is great, Metamoris is there, Grappler's Quest is coming back, and there are lots of alternatives for people that don't prefer the IBJJF. So it doesn't mean if someone doesn't have much or any IBJJF success that they aren't good. Garry Tonon is a great example. Not the best IBJJF guy but one of the best grapplers alive. But for most successful IBJJF guys, it's safe to say they're pretty good (Marcelo, Galvao, Cobrinha, Rafa Mendes, Keenan, Lovato Jr., Buchecha, Braulio Estima, you name it.).

So alternatives are getting more traction, but there still is a ways to go before the IBJJF gets knocked off as being the organization that typically draws the best competitors right now. ADCC obviously brings in the best nogi competitors, but for groundfighting as a whole, the IBJJF is right at the top with them.

Array

School
    Guerrilla Bjj Modesto, California
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Nall View Post
    Yeah, this is very much true from what I've heard about them. They want to win IBJJF world titles first and foremost.

As far as the whole elite vs not elite and IBJJF thing, the reason why many people care about IBJJF results isn't even because they even like the IBJJF. ironically a lot of the best competitors dislike it and dislike the rules, the ref biases, etc. Rodolfo Vieira is legendary, one of the most successful IBJJF guys ever, and he hates it. He doesn't even do Pans anymore. Just the Worlds. He prefers to get paid and get treated better.

But it is often really easy to draw a correlation between IBJJF success and skill because so many of the world's best do a lot of IBJJF events. You have people that show up and do every Worlds, every Pans, every Europeans, every NoGi Worlds, every ADCC, and those are typically the events where you see the toughest competition. There are lots of IBJJF alternatives on the rise.

The Abu Dhabi World Pro is great, FIVE is great, Gracie Nationals is great, Polaris is great, Metamoris is there, Grappler's Quest is coming back, and there are lots of alternatives for people that don't prefer the IBJJF. So it doesn't mean if someone doesn't have much or any IBJJF success that they aren't good. Garry Tonon is a great example. Not the best IBJJF guy but one of the best grapplers alive. But for most successful IBJJF guys, it's safe to say they're pretty good (Marcelo, Galvao, Cobrinha, Rafa Mendes, Keenan, Lovato Jr., Buchecha, Braulio Estima, you name it.).

So alternatives are getting more traction, but there still is a ways to go before the IBJJF gets knocked off as being the organization that typically draws the best competitors right now. ADCC obviously brings in the best nogi competitors, but for groundfighting as a whole, the IBJJF is right at the top with them.

This is a great Point I agree with you 100%. IBJJF better do something quickly or they will lose all of their best competitors. They got too greedy with charging all of the high level black belts and not awarding money for Pan Ams or Worlds. I know this is primarily a no-gi forum, but I love the gi. I love both they are just two different sports. I compare it to college basketball and the NBA millions of people watch both. Gi and No-Gi need to join sides. Gi requires so much strategy that you can use more creativity. No-Gi the leglock systems are amazing. Gi just needs a better rule set. I think Eddie could draw a larger audience instead of being so anti-gi too have both and then he could own the whole market. I think Eddie could possibly have a monopoly with EBI he has gained a lot of popularity so fast that it could knock out all other competitors. His rules are what makes it awesome. He figured out that there has to be a winner no matter what and the ref has no influence on anything. This is brilliant. Imagine IBJJF worlds with a clear winner and not refs decision. It would make it a lot more exciting.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Whiteside View Post
    This is a great Point I agree with you 100%. IBJJF better do something quickly or they will lose all of their best competitors. They got too greedy with charging all of the high level black belts and not awarding money for Pan Ams or Worlds. I know this is primarily a no-gi forum, but I love the gi. I love both they are just two different sports. I compare it to college basketball and the NBA millions of people watch both. Gi and No-Gi need to join sides. Gi requires so much strategy that you can use more creativity. No-Gi the leglock systems are amazing. Gi just needs a better rule set. I think Eddie could draw a larger audience instead of being so anti-gi too have both and then he could own the whole market. I think Eddie could possibly have a monopoly with EBI he has gained a lot of popularity so fast that it could knock out all other competitors. His rules are what makes it awesome. He figured out that there has to be a winner no matter what and the ref has no influence on anything. This is brilliant. Imagine IBJJF worlds with a clear winner and not refs decision. It would make it a lot more exciting.
    Yeah man. I've said many times that I think the rules are largey what make things boring or not and not so much gi or nogi. Eddie Bravo found a great way to incentivize finishing matches. A gi EBI would be just as exciting.

I hope he continues to do awesome and I'll keep supporting

Array

School
    Salt Lake Grappling Club
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidrob View Post
    There you go again, lol, Joe Soto isn't apparently elite, you don't become automatically elite because you didn't get subbed by Joao or Geo for that matter, you have to compete and do well in major competitions

You can't take a show like this and make all these wild decisions on the eliteness of people

Dont nobody care about escape time wins

Some of you guys post with such an agenda it's tough to take your opinions seriously
    We still don't know if Miyao dropped out of ADCC because of injuries sustained at EBI.

It's possible that it was Soto's leg attacks that did so much damage to Miyao's leg he had to bail from ADCC. If that's the case, then I would call that pretty damn formidable whether Miyao chose to tap or just take the debilitation.

I'm not sure Joao dropped out yet, I believe he won the open weight at the Boston Open today, unless it was Paulo

Array

School
    Rebellion Academy of Martial Arts
    What I heard was Miyao was frustrated with his performance at EBI.

If his leg is injured from a leg attack it was from Tonon at Five Grappling SL. He was pretty frustrated after each match at EBI.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Liquidrob View Post
    I'm not sure Joao dropped out yet, I believe he won the open weight at the Boston Open today, unless it was Paulo
    Miyao is almost certainly out. The new ADCC competitors list shows Alexandre Vieira as his replacement.

http://www.adcombat.com/adcc-worlds-...rs-list-update

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Baldwin View Post
    What I heard was Miyao was frustrated with his performance at EBI.

If his leg is injured from a leg attack it was from Tonon at Five Grappling SL. He was pretty frustrated after each match at EBI.
    Wasn't that fight with Tonon Aug 2nd? Why would an injury at that event cause him to pull out of ADCC two weeks later, and right after EBI? Reinjury?

Any why would he pull out of ADCC because he was frustrated by his performance in EBI? That's pretty strange sounding to me. Most guys at that level when they lose they cannot wait to get back into it and prove themselves again.

I'm sure Geo has been wearing holes in the mats training for ADCC after the result of EBI4.

Array

School
    The Forge BJJ
    Well.. here he is competing at the Boston Open yesterday.

Weird he would want out of ADCC if he's healthy... perhaps he's done with no-gi?

http://bjjfights.com/roberto-santana-boston/

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast