Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best subs for different body types.

So I'm in class last night and I get paired up with this dude who was probably around 260 and tall I'm about 160 5"9 so we start rolling and I kept getting top position and keeping it but I had no way to finish. I got a guillotine from mount twice and couldn't finish it because his neck was so thick, I had his back twice and couldn't get the rear naked because his shoulders and neck were huge (he also had sick defence) so in this sort of situation what sort of thing do you guys suggest someone my size should work?

If he has 100 pounds on you and sick defense, it sounds like a good opportunity to improve your finishes. From the back, are you able to grab one wrist to prevent him defendind with 2 on 1? Can you lock that arm with your leg?

I dunno I was trying but he was strong I really couldn't control his arms very well.

Array

School
    Edmonton BJJ Club / Mundaruca BJJ
    If you are in the gi: from both the mount and the back the ezequiel choke (sode guruma jime or sleeve wheel choke). Freaking love it, it's like 80 percent for me at least. From the mount you can fake an arm triangle to set it up. Be careful though as it is very easy to go too hard and make the person hoarse for a week .

Array

School
    Mission: Submissions
    Do you ever try to transition to spider web? That seems to be a great position even against bigger guys.

Array

School
    LA Martial Arts (Machado) - Metairie, LA
    I've found that larger folks are *usually* less flexible and more susceptible to joint locks but do have a higher choke tolerance. Skinnier folks tend to be more flexible and less susceptible to joint locks while having a lower choke tolerance.

That said, when I roll with fat guys I go for joint locks and with skinny guys it's chokes. YMMV.

Array

School
    Gracie Barra Jacksonville
    dunno if you were in Gi or no gi, but i usualy have the same problem, im only 145 5'8" and i've rolled with guys that have over 100lbs on me, one of our guys is half hispanic and half hawaiian so hes basicaly built like a sumo wrestler. hes got well over 140lbs on me.

for gi situations, the ezequiel choke, cross collar choke work wonders for me.
    if im lucky enough to obtain mount i reach around to the back of their collar, circle my arm around and place my forearm on their throat and try to force all my weight onto their throat. havent tried moving into side mount when attempting this on bigger guys as im affraid they'll sit up or just turn in/over and take me.

think bigger/muscular guys are also vulnerable to bicep andcalf slicers aswell .

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    I don't know why, and it doesn't make sense on paper.. but bicep slicers. I seem to catch ripped dudes the most with bicep slicers.

Array

School
    Central Illinois Combat Club
    If i find i cant choke out a bigger guy due to neck size i will often goto my knees behind him pull him onto his upper tailbone and work the neck crank. Then if that dosent work im right there for north south

Array

School
    Edmonton BJJ Club / Mundaruca BJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    I don't know why, and it doesn't make sense on paper.. but bicep slicers. I seem to catch ripped dudes the most with bicep slicers.
    I always thought of it as the bigger the block of meat the sharper my skinny limbs feel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast