NEWS: UFC inks Japanese distribution deal

Given Zuffa LLC’s historical successes in wielding the power of new media, the UFC will take a similar route to expand the brand in Japan.

Representatives from the UFC, NTT Plala and TV Bank on Monday during a press conference held at Yoshihiro Akiyama’s Cloud Dojo jointly announced a content distribution deal that will grant wider access to the UFC and related content to Japanese MMA fans.

“I’m really thrilled by this opportunity to bring the global leader of mixed martial arts -- the Ultimate Fighting Championship -- and build it in a region where many martial arts originated. Japan is the most advanced and important market for us in Asia so far,” Zuffa LLC Asia Executive Vice President and Managing Director Mark Fischer said in a statement to the press. “This is a very important step for the growth of the UFC in Japan. Our new media platforms will enable more fans across Japan to access exciting UFC action, news, highlights and features in more ways than ever before.”

TV Bank President Tomotaka Nakagawa and NTT Plala President Koji Bando also touted the newly formed venture.

“The UFC is very global,” Nakagawa said. “It’s not simply Japan- or Asia-based, so their popularity is worldwide. We’re a branch of Softbank, but we’ve extended the content to other companies like [NTT] Docomo and AU. We’re not looking to monopolize the content. We want the UFC name to become popular in Japan.”

read entire article: http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/UFC...TT-Plala-29620

MMA - well let's say Pride - used to be a household name in Japan. When I lived in Japan I'd go out to a bar or restaurant and normal office workers would be talking about rampage or cro cop. Now that's all long gone and forgotten. Japan is a nation of trends. Pro wrestling used to be huge, then Pride. Has Japan's MMA ship sailed on? Can UFC bring back the interest to the common man? Will be interesting to see.

Array

School
    10th Planet Pasadena
    Yeah, it's about time they bring it back in Japan. it was really disappointing to see Pride get bought out then dissolve like that with nothing to fill the void for awhile. It was only a matter of time before something like this came along, it's such a huge market for MMA. I hear they're also reaching out to China and looking to expand out there, but that will be a much more labored process I'd imagine. China has Legendfchttp://www.sherdog.net/forums/f61/le...n-ppv-1479693/ which may add some new fighters to the world stage worth watching. Globalization is good for some things; like MMA