Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Array

School
    None
    Yea, not to disagree with any of the higher ups, but there is a HUGE difference between being an arm chair warrior, and to know when someone is fucking up the rubber guard. BJ hasn't hugged the knee since the first time I saw him use it. Don't get me wrong: I love the hell out of Penn. He is a GOD of grappling in MMA, and has sick jits, great hands, the whole 9 yards so to speak, but his rubber guard is, in fact, horrible. Dude does NOT hug the knee like he should. I'm not trying to take anything away from the man, but OP is right. You don't need to be a black belt in 10th Planet JJ to know that if you don't hug the knee tight, that the rubber guard falls apart. He has a great game, but the rubber guard isn't part of it at the moment. If he wants to rock it in MMA, more power to him, but he needs to put in more time with it and work out its kinks.

Array

School
    joe hurst jiu jitsu undercover 10thp charlotte
    He hurt rg more than helped it cause as my freinds was saying look rg doenst work!!!!!!!!!!

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    I don't think he ever even attempted 10p's rubber guard. I do think it would have helped him if he(especially) did it properly, but I wasn't the one with Frankie on top of me.

Ya'll ever competed and drew a straight beast, and everyones yelling instructions from the sidelines that you just can't execute? Then they're like " Why didn't you...?" and your like "Dude, I couldn't." You go back to the lab and find a solution, but freestyling a way to plow through a brick wall(however petite) that can move the speed of light in the heat of the moment is more than a little tuff.

I'm seeing a new era in arising in mma, and it was only a matter of time. Speed - Aldo, Jones, Edgar. These guys are Mayweather/Iverson type fast.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Who gives a shit if your friends, who probably don't train, think it doesn't work. gtfoh

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    First off, I love the rubber guard as much as the next guy but it is such a small part of the 10th Planet system. The fact that this thread has turned into a rubber guard thread is a little green. BJ has trained with Eddie but BJ is not a 10th Planet guy. Jiu Jitsu is a world of its own. Some of you pointed out some "mistakes" BJ made with his RG but the RG is played by a lot of JJ practitioners. Some good points brought up by the blue and purples, as most people here are whites. I list myself as a white only because I'm a JKD guy. I've got 4 years just in 10th Planet. The point is, a lot of fighters, especially in the UFC are familiar with 10th Planet. You can't just play the RG. Frankie was in great shape and outworked BJ. BJ didn't plan well and honestly, he's got nothing left to prove. He's got a new baby and he's done it all. If you guys want to point out "mistakes" let's bring up the lack of sweep attempts from butterfly. The lack of takedown attempts. BJ was 2 for 2. He should have pressed more. BJ has a lot of knowledge and for whatever reason, he decided not to pursue anything. Frankie tried to win the fight and fought smart.

Array

School
    10th planet charlotte
    sometimes its not about who is stronger or better at this or didnt do that,sometimes its about heart ,who is hungryer..or even plain old luck..

we can sit here and debate what BJ did wrong or right but last night it looked like edger just wanted it more...and that translated into more points...it did come down to a decission last night..and you know the saying..never let the judges decide

Array

School
    Waiting for 10th Planet NYC
    I am totally new to BJJ and 10th Planet and I am defintely not saying anything bad about BJ... That being said, I thought it was funny that BJ seemed to be on the "Basic Rubber Guard Path" that Eddie outlines in his books/dvd's. Whether he was too tired to execute it or he just hasn't drilled it enough is interesting to me.

Array

School
    Charlotte Jiu Jitsu Academy
    Quote Originally Posted by robert gero View Post
    He hurt rg more than helped it cause as my freinds was saying look rg doenst work!!!!!!!!!!
    Right....cause all his other techniques he was using just worked so good. Did your friends also say butterfly doesn't work?

Array

School
    10th planet charlotte
    maybe if he had done more 50/50 guard jon. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Bravo View Post
    BJ is a living legend no matter what
    ttt for Eddie's response!

BJ Penn is one of the BEST BJJ fighters to EVER step foot into the octagon. He is a LEGEND in the sport.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast