Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Array

School
    10th Planet El Paso

Favorite Grappling DVD's

Hey Everyone!

I just got some Christmas money and I was thinking about getting a grappling DVD or two. Who knows? Maybe a book as well. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also figure this thread, if it doesn't already exist, might be a good reference on the subject.

I already own these DVD's:

Mastering the RG
    Sambo Leglocks for No Gi (Reilly Bodycomb)
    Fade To Black (by former 10th p brown belt Brandon Quick)

Obviously the MTRG DVD is the shit, and the sambo one really opened my eyes to what the world of leg locks (just because I didn't know that much about them). I like that Reilly presents his attacks in a system. Kind of reminded me of eddies approach to the game... As far as the Fade to Black, I still haven't made up my mind about it. I guess it's good, especially if you're new to no gi.

I was thinking about the Popovitch No Gi one...

Looking forward to your responses!

Mario

Depends on what you already have and what part of your game you're trying to improve.

The Popovich No Gi disc is only good for its first disc where he shows you how to systematically and safely break open a guard from standing and prepare to pass. The rest of it is meh.

Fade to Black has the best explanation and multiple application of the Darce choke. If you want to learn every practical way to bust a Darce choke, then get these DVDs.

Eduardo Telles and Josh Russell are THE discs to get for an attacking turtle position. If you had to choose between the two, Telles has the best basics, but Russell has every position someone could think up of how to attack your back.

Ryan Hall's new DVD on Deep Half is money. If you can get over the fact that he seems to be snippy about 10th planet concepts (even though he uses them in tourneys all day), you'll be awesome at Deep Half after Ryan Hall's DVD. Jeff Glover has a Deep Half DVD as well, but I think it's outdated.

Or if you just want basics, get Roy Dean's Blue Belt disc or Saulo Riberio's series 1. They're gi, but they both teach basic chaining concepts well, especially Saulo.

For books, Jiu Jitsu University by Saulo Riberio, The Grappler's Handbook by Jean Jacques Machado, The Ground Game by Greg Jackson, or Passing the Guard by Tim Cartmell are all great books.

Hope this helps.

Array

School
    Delaware Barbell Club & Fitness BJJ
    theres a ton of good stuff at the budovideos.com site , one of my favorites is the reilly bodycomb leglocks seminar , chris brennans -king of the kimura ,5 & 10 finger guillotines

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita
    I don't own a some of these, but I have seen a lot of clips from them (I will only add them if I have seen, say, 20 mins or more).

Demian Maia - Science of Jiu-Jitsu. I don't think anybody in the world makes advanced BJJ seem so simple and basic. He teaches how he fights; if you watch him, he always looks like he is using basic moves against a white belt, even if it's against elite competition. Also, rather than teach moves, he teaches concepts, which is what I love most. When he shows Kimuras, instead of saying "grab here", he shows why different angles produce different results, and then applies the concept to everything else (omaplatas, and even escaping side control, same thing). It's a beautiful way to understand BJJ.

Ryan Hall. The DVD where he goes over how he does triangles with underhooks, I think he does 50-50 in it as well. He breaks things down amazingly in that. Made my triangles way, way better.

Jeff Glover - the one on deep half. Revolutionary.

I have also heard Saulo Ribeiro's series is amazing from multiple respectable sources, and Xande Ribeiro just released a new series.

Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario Lopez Alvarez View Post
    Hey Everyone!

I just got some Christmas money and I was thinking about getting a grappling DVD or two. Who knows? Maybe a book as well. Anyone have any suggestions?

Also figure this thread, if it doesn't already exist, might be a good reference on the subject.

I already own these DVD's:

Mastering the RG
    Sambo Leglocks for No Gi (Reilly Bodycomb)
    Fade To Black (by former 10th p brown belt Brandon Quick)

Obviously the MTRG DVD is the shit, and the sambo one really opened my eyes to what the world of leg locks (just because I didn't know that much about them). I like that Reilly presents his attacks in a system. Kind of reminded me of eddies approach to the game... As far as the Fade to Black, I still haven't made up my mind about it. I guess it's good, especially if you're new to no gi.

I was thinking about the Popovitch No Gi one...

Looking forward to your responses!

Mario
    hey dude im a huge fan of the bodycomb leg locks stuff too

i usually like to drill after some rolls
    if you see me im down to drill position 1-4 plus problems along the way

Array

School
    Martial Arts Progression, Hartlepool, UK
    the demian maia series' are excellent, for the reasons mentioned above. it's also worth noting that he devotes a whole disc to each subject (passing the guard, defending the pass, etc, etc...) and that a lot of it can be applied to gi or no-gi. i've watched it repeatedly.
    if you haven't got the 10th planet books, i'd highly recommend them. they're much better than the dvd. in fact i'd say the dvd supplements the books. i watched the dvd a few times, but it was only after getting the books that i experienced the most dramatic improvements to my game.
    the marcelo garcia series is also very good, i actually prefer the first set to the second (that could be an indication of where i am though).
    the cesar gracie ones are the best of any by the gracies, but there's a lot in them which won't necessarily apply to no-gi. he includes self-defence scenarios and gi moves, but it's well presented and very clear.
    i was very disappointed in the fabio gurgel one (greatest jiu jitsu techniques), it's totally gi. i had high expectations after watching the maia and garcia ones.
    Kevin Jackson & Mike Vanarsdale - Takedowns i really liked, though this may be due to my lack of knowledge on the subject. i found it to be really informative, well presented and useful.

Array

School
    AJ Sousa BJJ Center
    Vlad Koulikov on Sambo is a great series. Ryan Hall and Jeff glovers are also great.

Array

School
    Lincoln Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Center
    I like Robson's stuff.

I would recommend Ryan Hall's 50/50-triangle dvd over the deep half-back attack dvd, they are both nice but I think the later contains more strictly gi material.

Array

School
    Impact Martrial Arts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Noronowicz View Post
    theres a ton of good stuff at the budovideos.com site , one of my favorites is the reilly bodycomb leglocks seminar , chris brennans -king of the kimura ,5 & 10 finger guillotines
    How long are the Chris Brennan DvDs exactly?

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur and 10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    my fav set i have is Carlos Machado "infinite jiu jitsu." especially if you ever work in the gi.

marcelo has a DVD set where he covers the omoplata for 4 straight dvds. talk about depth! he also covers his guillotine.
    "The lockdown is not the 10th Planet gospel; an open mind is the 10th Planet gospel."
    - Amir Allam

Please stop by and check out my site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast