Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Hit spider web from s-mount. All these guys have it right. More control is always better. Thats like tryin to do a flying armbar without clinching first.

Array

School
    Chungs Academy -Judo/TKD
    The best tip I've picked up was from a Bas Rutten DVD actually. I was having what seemed to be a similar issue -either letting my opponents escape during the transition, or flat moving myself into the wrong spot. The solution for me was to trap their arm first in an almost Kimura like lock. There's absolutely NO pressure or threat of a Kimura - but it locks up their arm and gets their bicep and even arm pit sometimes pinned against my body so deeply, that I can take my time going through the transition and still hit it. I'm noticing that if I use my legs right and squeeze everything together during the transition, they can't really even hold onto their own hand for defense.

From mount, I attack their right arm by grabbing their right wrist with my left hand from above. With their elbows in and their hands up, I come down from above their shoulder with my left, my left elbow still up by their ear -almost like I'm trying to use their own arm for leverage in a "forearm in their throat" kind of thing. Then I slide my right hand like a knife under their elbow and grab my own left wrist. I stay leaning into the whole thing, and pull them up and in as tightly as possible. As you transition into the arm bar at this point, you may feel a little akward because your left hand is on their wrist upside down from the standard arm bar leverage grab, but that's part of what helps set the whole thing up from the beginning.

Of course, for full disclosure: I wear a Gi - but I think it only becomes an advantage to my opponent in their defensive options. I ignore the Gi's when I try this technique. I am also a medium sized fish in a very small pond; perhaps others with more experience will steer you in better directions!

Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood
    in the mount when they t rex like hell
    grab the top of your opponents head and crawl your knees up to high mount
    and your opponents arms (both or maybe just one) will be isolated from there take your sweet ass time to
    go into spider web etc

you can somtimes put both arms on his wrist (careful cause you could get bumped off)
    force it to the mat and than start your crawl to high mount

arm isolation! thats the key!

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay JC Chow View Post
    Are you going to S-Mount first? This is important. Grab the shoulder, go to S-Mount, keep your knees pinched tight, grab the leg, and swing the leg around when you fall back
    +1

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul
    -Lean your weight forward at a 45 degree angle (your right if attacking his right arm and vice versa)
    -connect your hip behind the guy's tricep to prevent him pulling out
    -sit ON his shoulder THEN slide your butt down to the mat
    -keep him tight with your heels
    (not a step by step but details that will raise your percentages)

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul
    ^^^Standard arm bar NOT s-mount variation

Array

School
    Team Shark
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookie Monster View Post
    in the mount when they t rex like hell
    grab the top of your opponents head and crawl your knees up to high mount
    and your opponents arms (both or maybe just one) will be isolated from there take your sweet ass time to
    go into spider web etc

you can somtimes put both arms on his wrist (careful cause you could get bumped off)
    force it to the mat and than start your crawl to high mount

arm isolation! thats the key!
    if they are "t-rex like hell" then you won't be able to get your elbows up into their armpit.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Then you jam the tip of your elbow in his throat and see if he still t-rex's.

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita
    I am tall and lanky, and had the same issue for awhile, but I have been working my S-Mount and just won my 2nd and 3rd fights on Saturday with armbars from mount. It's not just that it makes the transition tighter. It's that it can be really hard to keep your weight on someone in mount in general if you have my build, and it's easy to defend an armbar if you have no weight on you. S-Mount makes it feel like you can't breath or move, and helps the top guy's knees trap the arm/shoulder of the guy on his back. the further you twist into S-Mount, the more you feel like you already have the armbar, and you can keep the transition tight by pressuring the back of his tricep with your chest when you are that high up on him. Good luck, mount is really tough, at least for me.

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita
    Sorry, missed the "NOT S-Mount" comment. But if you think about it, there is not much difference, except you just don't chill in the intermediate position. My instructor showed me that turning the leg that will not be going over his face helps you rotate and keep weight on him, especially if you are lanky. Whether you choose to stop in S Mount or just grab an armbar is up to you

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast