Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Ground Control Winston-Salem/10th Planet Charlotte
    Jon you could just let him roll with me we could start our on bad back division of 10th planet but in all seriousness I think herzog was on point.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    Coach, you know a doctor is gonna tell him no. Could you get a doctor to clear you? jussayin
    Its about liability. Being the Head Coach its my job to protect everyone; the potential student, the academy, the owner of the academy and the rest of the students at the academy. If a doctor won't clear him, he can't train at our place. I'm not going to risk the owner loosing his gym because of it. We owe it to the rest out our students to make sure they aren't at risk either whether its a potential lawsuit or them loosing the place they train and invested time and money in. We've had to turn down people in the past because our insurance provider said they wouldn't cover a student. When it your lively hood your perspective changes. And whether a doctor would clear me or not is irrelevant, I'm in charge
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Charlotte Jiu Jitsu Academy
    Thanks for the feedback guys. Insurance provider didn't have a problem with it as long as my waiver was signed. I'm still gonna get the doctors permission and just just take it easy with him. Very easy.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Jon just so you understand waiver are NOT full proof. They are just a consideration in legal matters.

...and just so I'm not misunderstood, if the doctor came back and said "no", I'd feel for the guy. However those of us that have been in the game a long time understand what could happen and we know more than the doctors when it comes to what the student will be subject too, they are just going off a bare boned basic understanding of what we do, leaving the instructor with full cupability. That is not something I'm willing to shoulder. I live with (as does my wife and some extent my students)the damage I've done to myself over the years, I'm not going to be responsible for allowing it to happen to someone else.

Array

School
    Charlotte Jiu Jitsu Academy
    Thanks for the input Coach. That's why I posted it up. Some of you guys have a lot more experience with this sort of thing than me.
    It is probably just better to turn him down and avoid everything. I would hate to cause more damage to him and/or possibly lose my business because of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Herzog View Post
    Jon just so you understand waiver are NOT full proof. They are just a consideration in legal matters.

...and just so I'm not misunderstood, if the doctor came back and said "no", I'd feel for the guy. However those of us that have been in the game a long time understand what could happen and we know more than the doctors when it comes to what the student will be subject too, they are just going off a bare boned basic understanding of what we do, leaving the instructor with full cupability. That is not something I'm willing to shoulder. I live with (as does my wife and some extent my students)the damage I've done to myself over the years, I'm not going to be responsible for allowing it to happen to someone else.
    A waiver isnt of course fool proof, but it is pretty darned solid against litigation regarding things that are likely to happen in a grappling class. The grey area of a waiver is usually regarding neglect or reckless behavior with regard to an instructor. A guy who goes into a grappling class, with rods in his back, reads and signs a waiver knowing its physical if pretty much legless legally.

My point, and I should think everyone's is to get the guy's doctor to clear him for his own health and well being. But I would agree in the litigious climate of today's USA, it doesnt hurt to be careful.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    And whether a doctor would clear me or not is irrelevant, I'm in charge
    Lol. Word!

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    I'm not going to be responsible for allowing it to happen to someone else.
    Do you think you could have gotten where you are without the injuries? Cause I want your life. Awkward?

But, i do realize that this is a much more sensitive case than most and should be treated with great caution. He's seriously compromised. My case is what you alluded to earlier Chris. Doctors often see great risk in what we know as a controlled training environment. They often say things like 'no contact sports' when they have never played a sport. Is there a super waiver? No doctor could ever tell me not to train. But I dont have rods in my back..

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    Do you think you could have gotten where you are without the injuries? Cause I want your life. Awkward?
    Like an grizzled old lion, its just made me a bit meaner

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Quote Originally Posted by stlnl View Post
    A waiver isnt of course fool proof, but it is pretty darned solid against litigation regarding things that are likely to happen in a grappling class. The grey area of a waiver is usually regarding neglect or reckless behavior with regard to an instructor. A guy who goes into a grappling class, with rods in his back, reads and signs a waiver knowing its physical if pretty much legless legally.

My point, and I should think everyone's is to get the guy's doctor to clear him for his own health and well being. But I would agree in the litigious climate of today's USA, it doesnt hurt to be careful.
    It sure as shit wont stop them from trying. Win or Loose a small business can loose its ass forking over between 5-10K for defense and legal fees.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast