Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Sam Sales

advice from 10th planet moon/hotbox heads/instructors

Hey guys. So tomorrow I teach my first class (no-gi), then a short hotbox drilling session straight after. I have a lesson planned out, and know what I will be teaching. I have only ever taught single techs etc before really , never a full class, so I wondered if any of you guys had any tips or advice you could give me? Would be much appreciated. Thanks everyone.
    Last edited by Sam Sales; 06-17-2013 at 09:20 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Keep it simple!!!!! try to stay relaxed and speak clearly.

Array

School
    10th Planet Gulf Shores
    I'm not an instructor, but I did have to teach class one time. The main issue I had was that everyone would rep whatever I taught two times and then look at me. I had to keep telling them to rep. As a student, I will say this. The best classes and the ones I learn most from are the classes on one position with maybe 3 or 4 moves (subs, sweeps, etc.) that we rep a lot. It's effective because us students actually remember what we learned and feel satisfied. Whenever you teach the moves, it helps if you show them twice and then ask if anyone needs to see it again. Some of us learn at a slower pace. So like Scott said, keep it simple. And don't get nervous because there's no pressure, everyone knows its your first class!!
    Last edited by Tori Applegate; 06-17-2013 at 12:04 PM.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Have fun and show a ton of enthusiasm, your students will react better and will understand more.

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    I usually plan my lesson in a series. so if I want to teach Gogo Plata from NY then I would teach Full Guard > Break Down > Mission Control > NY > Go-Go. I feel like this gives students the reps they need to be comfortable in a new spot.

Array

School
    10th Planet Muscle Shoals
    As a student, one of the things I HATED was an instructor doing too much in one class. 1 maybe 2 techniques (make sure they're related) is plenty for a standard length class. And LOTS of drilling the technique (more than 20 times) has always seemed to be the most effective for me.

Array

School
    10th Planet Winnipeg
    I hate when I go to a gym and what they show is what I call 7 random moves like an armbar from guard, armbar from back leg lock from over here and maybe a pass.

People will stop drilling and start talking a lot I find, not always a bad thing though it can help keep the atmosphere positive as long as they are still getting reps in

No matter how many times you explain put emphasis on small details there will be one dude who cannot remember them usually because he is high... :-P

I like to show moves in 2 or 3 parts that build off each other.

My class tonight will be a kimura escape that leads to lockdown to super stomp to butterfly then part 2 will be that whole starting part but from butterfly youll armdrag to back and RNC. They will spend 40 min drilling this.

Sometimes in beginner classes maybe Ill show 3-4 sode control escapes but they will all come off the same position. Not like a side escape then later a back escape

Always hit the warm up series, everyday every class they are really important.
    Last edited by Ryan Brick; 06-17-2013 at 01:39 PM.

Array

School
    Lake Effect jiu jitsu
    Teach what you use most and know best first!

Array

School
    Sbardella MMA/Black Tie BJJ
    Teach a series at a time, that way you can ensure everyone is mastering it before you move on. Don't be afraid to drill the same move over and over until nobody is leaving out some of the small details.

Array

School
    10th Planet Boulder
    Keep it simple
    The best thing you can do is make sure you know your shit and you speak slowly and clearly. Some people prefer seeing the techniques;others need a step by step list to go over while doing moves... so make sure you're catering to all types of learners. Think about what youd want from an instructor and be that instructor.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast