Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Silva vs gsp?

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    Chael Sonnen did beat Silva up in his guard but steroid filled and properly hydrated Sonnen is much heavier and stronger than GSP ever will be. Also although as posed as the best wrestler in the game I don't know if GSP's wrestling game is better than Sonnen's. I mean taking 170 pounders down at will and controlling them is one thing, Anderson Silva is another thing.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    yeah.. i give sonnen credit for his skill.. but you HAVE to factor in the fact he was on steroids. And i dont think GSP is as strong as "Super-sonnen" if you will.. but I actually do think Gsp has (i would personally say by a big difference) a better wrestling game. if we are talking pure technique. though Sonnen w/ his strength advantage helps a ton. But i just dont know how anderson could really stop GSP once he gets a hold of him from taking him down. And what Gsp has going for him is that he almost never lands in his opponents full guard. He is always getting them to the side and landing in a dominant position. Which is crucial against anderson if you dont want to be stood up. So i would say though Sonnen has strength.. Gsp will make up for by working side control and mount instead of trying to work from inside Andersons guard. But like i said.. to do that for 5 rounds and not get knocked out by anderson is a tall glass to fill.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    I just think GSP is too small to win that fight.

Array

School
    10th Planet Decatur
    i agree if they fight right now.. what weight would they be meeting at?

Array

School
    10th Planet Sylmar/ JJBJJ
    I imagine they would fight at a catch weight, maybe 180 pounds!

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita
    GSP and Dana have said that it would be at 185, and GSP would stay there regardless of the outcome. GSP said he would take an extended layoff, to slowly build up in a healthy way. He wants the exact same percentage and type of muscle, not just to add 15 lbs. When you watch his interviews on the subject, it's very easy to visualize a carbon copy of GSP who walks around at 205-210 and makes 185, the way he currently walks around at 190 or 192 and makes 170.

My analysis: When you think about that situation (giant GSP), I think GSP is a nightmare for Silva. I just don't know how I would bet. I refuse at this point to bet against Silva. I'll consider it when the man loses. Then again, if GSP is +225, I don't see how you can avoid it. His MMA wrestling is as good as Chael's, and better if you consider landing outside of closed guard. More importanly, he is better at truly damaging people en route to a stoppage. Chael beats you up, but doesn't really end the fight that effectively. GSP postures, passes, and weights at an elite level, and he can land elbows and hard shots from any position on top. He won't just sit there boxing Anderson's ears - he will cut him with elbows if nothing else. Anderson will have to stop his ridiculous takedowns long enough to stop him in the first few rounds, or he will but hurt way worse than we have seen him yet by the championship rounds. Now that I said that, I'm sure the most likely thing will happen and Silva will crush GSP in a round or 2.

Array

School
    Alliance BJJ Hawaii
    ok, just to let everyone know... I AM NOT A GSP FAN!!! It doesn't matter on the fact that Silva is bigger or that he lands more strikes than any other fighter... The fact is, that he hasn't faced anyone like GSP. Even though I hate GSP, you have to give it to him. He makes people looked stupid... If your a bad ass striker(Dan Hardy, Thiago Alves)... He takes you down and beats your face in. If your a bad ass wrestler(Matt Hughes, Sean Sherk, Frank Trigg, Josh Koscheck, Jon Fitch)... He will either out wrestle you, Out strike you, and beat your face. And if your a "WORLD CLASS" BJJ expert(BJ Penn, Matt Serra)... He will just ground and pound you...Ok, I know that Matt Serra beat him that one time and that BJ Penn had a close call that 1st time they fought and that GSP is human and he can get knocked out and he was all greased up in most of his fights... Ok, maybe I've said it in so many words.... that only way that GSP will lose, is if Anderson Silva gets a lucky hand out(Chael Sonnens triangle armbar). BJJ is GSP's only chance of losing. The striking between both of them will be a stale mate, it will go to the ground and it will be a classic match between wrestling(GSP) and BJJ(Silva). And Anderson's BJJ is no where near Serra's and Penn's BJJ. My choice is GSP, by way of boring the crap out of everyone by being a "Blanket" and just laying on Silva for how ever much rounds they fight.

I believe the game plan GSP brings would determine the outcome of this fight. We all know Silva has great offense on his feet, but Sonnen hurt him a few times and I believe GSP to be a better, smarter, and faster boxer and possibly catch Silva. That being said, I dont see any way GSP could finish Anderson standing, and would probably end up catching some clean combos to the face and getting finished.

GSP's best bet is obviously to get the fight to the ground. But first off, GSP needs to be sure not to allow Silva his typical 2-3 minutes of dancing at the start of the fight. Once Silva gets guys measured up and has his timing down, he seems to be able to tee off on just about anybody. GSP needs to attack from the opening bell just like Sonnen did, not necessarily a takedown attempt, but he needs to pressure Silva so he cannot measure and time him.I dont see GSP having any problem taking Silva down as far as success rate goes, the only thing he needs to watch for is kicks and knees on the way in, but I dont see this as a problem either. GSP is known for mixing his strikes and changing levels very fluidly, thats why his takedowns are so successful, no one see's them coming.

A large percentage of this fight would be fought with Silva on his back, GSP on top in side control probably in the center of the octagon. Sonnen had a great game plan, and I see GSP following a similar one with heavy ground and pound, but not sitting in Silva's guard. After a few rounds of being controlled, Silva would probably go into desperation mode and start throwing wild, heavy combos and kicks like he did to Sonnen. This is the only real chance I believe Silva has in this fight, if he can catch GSP at the start of a round.

The fight would probably end in a dull UD for GSP, but I wouldnt be too surprised to see GSP go for an armbar and submit Silva. Kimuras are pretty much out of the question though.

Size: Silva
    Physical Strength: Silva standing, GSP on ground
    Speed: Silva probably
    Knockout power: Silva
    Cardio: GSP
    Heart: Gotta go with Silva
    Muay Thai: Silva
    Boxing: Silva
    Wrestling: GSP
    BJJ: Silva
    Takedowns/defense: GSP
    Tighter shorts: Draw.

I'll go with GSP by 50-4X UD. I'm a huge fan of Silva;s and GSP's too, but I dont see this as a good match up for Silva. He has outstanding BJJ and is phenominal on his feet, but he just has too big of a deficit in the wrestling department.

Personally I would much rather see Silva challenge the winner of Rua-Jones for the LHW title, now that would be the fight of the century.

Array

School
    10th Planet Nottingham
    Id say anderon has beter jj thatn serra and has more awkward bjj than bj penn because of his long limbs

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12