Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    KCBJJ

How to control the deep half during the transition?

I feel like this question is obvious but for some reason the mechanic of the technique escapes me.

When I attempt to transition to the deep half (from the shin shield standard half guard) I can only rotate underneath their hips if I drive off of my left foot. However, driving off of my left foot gives up control of the leg and it risks me getting mounted.

So if I go to the deep half while retaining leg control, I lock my hips and cannot get underneath and turn away from my opponent. I end up flattened on my back underneath their crotch in a stalemate position. From this dead end spot, how do I turn over onto my left hip without driving off of my left foot and giving up an opening for the mount.

So far, the only way I hit deep half sweeps is by rapidly shuffling off of my left foot and regaining control of their leg with my left foot. If I time it right, I shuffle to my side where I can hit the sweep, but this feels like playing russian roulette rather than hitting a technique.

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    AJ, Jeff explained this pretty well. When you're transitioning to DH, you always move "you", not "them". As for the legs, you don't push off of either foot, you windshield wiper yourself into position. Hope that helps, hit me up if you need more. I am thinking about having Jeff out for a seminar soon Work on the using the windshield wiper to move you around the leg, it helps to pull off the sweep aswell. If you play with it a little, you will start to "feel" it!

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    This makes sense. Thanks for the info.

Array

School
    vortex jiujitsu
    when playing deep half, i like to swivel my lockdown to wreck there base, switch the direction, & pass to side, using pour leg movement & a underhook on the opposite leg, if there base is too solid, i just go back to open guard, don't know if that helps, but i like to focus on guard fluidity rather than, forcing or overcommiting to any one technic

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita
    Take the arm that is diving under and hooking the leg, punch it at a 45 degree angle up and across your body. It will de-base him and give you space to enter DH.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by derrick ikwueme View Post
    when playing deep half, i like to swivel my lockdown to wreck there base, switch the direction, & pass to side, using pour leg movement & a underhook on the opposite leg, if there base is too solid, i just go back to open guard, don't know if that helps, but i like to focus on guard fluidity rather than, forcing or overcommiting to any one technic
    I'll keep that in mind however there seems to be a fundamental mechanic to the deep half that I'm not grasping. @ AcesRacked, thanks for the advice. I'll toy around with hooking arm and see what happens.

Array

School
    vortex jiujitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    I'll keep that in mind however there seems to be a fundamental mechanic to the deep half that I'm not grasping. @ AcesRacked, thanks for the advice. I'll toy around with hooking arm and see what happens.
    remember, when playing deep half, theres 2 doors, back & front, swivel action on the locked down leg can open both doors, if you open the back & it closes switch to front door, if that closes, & your stuck, anticipate the pass & get ready to counter

Array

School
    Hoosier Fight Club
    I can go back and forth until one door opens. Wrenching on their base (leg) keeps them in defensive mode. if they block the back door, they have to sit their hips, which opens the front door. Like I suggested, play with a willing partner and rep switching back and forth, until you feel the fundamentals of the movement!

Array

School
    vortex jiujitsu
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Keeling View Post
    I can go back and forth until one door opens. Wrenching on their base (leg) keeps them in defensive mode. if they block the back door, they have to sit their hips, which opens the front door. Like I suggested, play with a willing partner and rep switching back and forth, until you feel the fundamentals of the movement!
    hell yea, the swinging action is everything to my deep half game, fucks ther base all up

Array

School
    Chungs Academy -Judo/TKD
    I was just in this very situation myself tonight! The two biggest differences were 1) I was in a gi and 2) I ended up getting mounted.

I have found that there is a "feel" to the way I lock down the leg; although I haven't quite figured it out yet. But sometimes the way my thighs grip my opponent's thigh, I feel like I can totally leverage them up and over me easily enough to hip out and hook the arm (ultimately looking for the Electric Chair, or at least the sweep) and get deep! But then there are other times -like tonight, when I feel like the most I can do against the very same opponent in the very same position is just keep their leg locked down -but they stay where they want, I'm locked straight below, ...and that other leg is nowhere to be found for the hook.

I can't tell "why" yet, but I CAN tell right away when I'm there whether things are going to work for me or not. Again, I think the secret lies somewhere in the way (and/or where) you grip their thigh for the lockdown.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast