Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    NeverTap Fitness

Losing inspiration

For the last couple of days I have been thinking about quitting Jiu Jitsu because I can't seem to get into a gym because of money or other reasons(money being the big one). Just wondering has anyone else had this problem?

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford
    Ask the gym if u could pay a smaller fee and help clean the gym and stuff and if your a student ask for a discount.

Array

School
    10th Planet H.Q
    Man to be honest that is my problem now....every gym over here is gracie barra.....(or an affiliate) and it is expensive......so i go to some shidokan gym and hit the bags and work on flexibility......i move to L.A in August so that i can train full-time....crazy sacrifice but i have no choice

Array

School
    Going Rogue Again
    i know the feeling man, im at college most the time so getting a job is pretty much impossible for me, cant get to any proper bjj gyms without having to pay loads more for travel so i train at an mma only gym. its good, but kinda sucks when all i learn for jj is 1 or two techniques and dont get much time to rep them, and about 10 minutes for rolling. i only go like once every 1-2 weeks now. but i just keep watching bjj/mma comp and training vids to keep my drive going strong till my next session. hang in there man, you'll be thankful you did in the end

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Quiggle View Post
    For the last couple of days I have been thinking about quitting Jiu Jitsu because I can't seem to get into a gym because of money or other reasons(money being the big one). Just wondering has anyone else had this problem?
    There are things you can still do to help you with your forward progress in JJ. Stretch while you watch TV, are on break, hell work on your squeeze power in class if you're not having to take notes. Do the solo JJ drills when you get the time at home. There are a ton online you can do. Find a partner to drill techniques with in different positions, which you can do from home for the cost of a mat. You can go super cheap on the mat, but you just won't be able to roll on it if it's not thick enough, unless you want rug burn, or concrete rash. Don't give up man. JJ is a unique martial art in that it's both effective, AND you can do it till you're old. I don't see myself doing Muay Thai or Boxing at 60, but I can definitely see myself doing flexibility drills and rolling till that age and higher. Think of Helio Gracie =D. He was rolling with young bucks till he died. People age so much faster when they get sedentary. Make the lifestyle choice to stay healthy, flexible, and active for the rest of your lifetime. There are many sports, activities you could do to achieve that. JJ just happens to be mine.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Do you wanna be a fuckin fighter?

Array

School
    NeverTap Fitness
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
    There are things you can still do to help you with your forward progress in JJ. Stretch while you watch TV, are on break, hell work on your squeeze power in class if you're not having to take notes. Do the solo JJ drills when you get the time at home. There are a ton online you can do. Find a partner to drill techniques with in different positions, which you can do from home for the cost of a mat. You can go super cheap on the mat, but you just won't be able to roll on it if it's not thick enough, unless you want rug burn, or concrete rash. Don't give up man. JJ is a unique martial art in that it's both effective, AND you can do it till you're old. I don't see myself doing Muay Thai or Boxing at 60, but I can definitely see myself doing flexibility drills and rolling till that age and higher. Think of Helio Gracie =D. He was rolling with young bucks till he died. People age so much faster when they get sedentary. Make the lifestyle choice to stay healthy, flexible, and active for the rest of your lifetime. There are many sports, activities you could do to achieve that. JJ just happens to be mine.
    Yeah you have made your point, I think it has bee so hard because i just had surgery and I cant do anything but ill be recovered in a couple of weeks and think about picking up a mat to do solo drills and stuff. I'm hoping to get a job this summer than join a JJ class...that's the dream anyways haha

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Quiggle View Post
    Yeah you have made your point, I think it has bee so hard because i just had surgery and I cant do anything but ill be recovered in a couple of weeks and think about picking up a mat to do solo drills and stuff. I'm hoping to get a job this summer than join a JJ class...that's the dream anyways haha
    I hope you got the spark you needed to re-ignite your passion for the sport. As far as injuries go, I got a freak hairline fracture on my right rib 5 days into starting up BEGINNER MMA training. I was out of comission for 4 weeks and couldn't even get out of bed normally because the pain was so bad. Yet I still stretched, read material, watched training vids. It's been a few months now and I still can't free roll, but I can certainly work top position drills from spiderweb, sprawl control, mount etc. Just figure out what's "safe" to train for yourself once you're healed up enough. Talk to your doc and perhaps a sports medicine doc for a second opinion.
    Good luck getting your summer job buddy. Keep us posted on your progress.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin/JKD Institute
    Train at home, or start a hot box : )

Array

School
    Arlans Siqueira Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
    Train at home, or start a hot box : )
    +1 start something yourslef with some guys that like jiu jitsu. Don't give up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast