Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Array

School
    Alliance BJJ Hawaii

Cutting weight/having to weigh in the day before.....

Ok, so I've been having this question going on in my head for a while now. Why is it that you have all these big ass guys dropping weight to a weight class that they don't belong in, just to have a size advantage??? Like GSP, who supposedly walks around at 200 lbs and drops to 170 lbs or that guy that fought George Sotiropoulos... that guy was huge!!! He wasn't no 155 lbs. I would like to see a fighter come and weigh in right before they fight, just to see if there that weight that there fighting in. I just hate this cutting weight bull crap. If your a bad ass, then fight at the weight you are, not a weight that you cut down for weigh ins for.

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    I have talked about this on numerous situations myself. I think if people weighed in couple hours before a fight, there would be much less weight cutting due to dehydration, people would spend their time training more on technique than trying to make weight. There would be less gassing of the fighters. Dehydration is a bitch and it will make you very very tired really quickly. Just like Bisping said after his fight, it makes no sense having these professional fighters that can't fight %100 for 3-5 minute rounds. There would be less injury's, and technique would play more of a role than dominating due to size.

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul
    Word.

Array

School
    10th Planet Chicago
    Folkstyle, greco, freestyle is that way. Guys still cutt weight but not anywhere near as much.

Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood
    i've done 7 tournaments and cut for only 2 of em and the 2 i did cut for i did slightly better LOL
    so you have too

i dont like to cut weight im going down to one fifty and rolling at one forty five(if i keep eating really clean)
    so my plan later is to only cut 5lbs! some tournaments are day of weigh ins like nogi worlds
    which i think is better,some people still cut but whatever thats the sport!

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    Dude 5 pounds is fine, we are talking about Thiago Alves walking around 205 pounds and then fight at welterweight.

Array

School
    10th Pranet HQ Hollywood
    thats a shitload of weight! damn! lol

Array

School
    Newborn Cascao
    Ya it sucks but you know what its part of the game. If you don't like it than go to tournaments that have same day weigh ins or just plain suck it up. I understand the beef but there is no reason in crying foul or bitching over someones ability to cut weight and still perform. This is along the lines of when people bitch that I am flexible and have a more array of techniques that I can do.
    Jigoro Kano → Tsunejiro Tomita → Mitsuyo "Count Koma" Maeda → Carlos Gracie, Sr. → Jean Jacques Machado → Eddie Bravo → Myself

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyK5 View Post
    I have talked about this on numerous situations myself. I think if people weighed in couple hours before a fight, there would be much less weight cutting due to dehydration, people would spend their time training more on technique than trying to make weight. There would be less gassing of the fighters. Dehydration is a bitch and it will make you very very tired really quickly. Just like Bisping said after his fight, it makes no sense having these professional fighters that can't fight %100 for 3-5 minute rounds. There would be less injury's, and technique would play more of a role than dominating due to size.
    Agree 100%. Our ability to change weight quickly shouldn't be a factor at all in professional combat sports, but it is, and it's been for a loooong time, and I think it's going to stay that way unfortunately =(.

Array

School
    Alliance BJJ Hawaii
    I think they should bring back the open weight class in mma in the ufc, then I'd be satisfied.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast