Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cobrinha thread

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Phoenix
    One of my favs to watch anyday !

Quote Originally Posted by john botello View Post
    One of my favs to watch anyday !
    What's your opinion if Cobrinha and Rafa meet again at ADCC this year. Would you take Rafa to win again? I still can't believe he beat Cobrinha 3 times at age 19. Or 3x in the 365 days that he was 19. Whatever. Rafa is gonna be the next great one. He already is lol.

Array

School
    10th Planet JJ Phoenix
    I think they are both great athletes, and their technique is out of this world, but it's really too close to call in my opinion. One could capitalize on the others mistake in a instant. That's why we play the game

Quote Originally Posted by john botello View Post
    I think they are both great athletes, and their technique is out of this world, but it's really too close to call in my opinion. One could capitalize on the others mistake in a instant. That's why we play the game
    very true sir

Array

School
    Marcelo Garcia
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteMike2k9 View Post
    Some of the things I find so interesting are the differences between two of Alliance's top dogs: Marcelo Garcia and Cobrinha.

They both are almost equally dominate. Marcelo is more accomplished in no-gi and Cobrinha is more accomplished in the gi. But they both have excellent performances in both. What always fascinated me was how well they are both known for their back attacks, yet they seem to have an entirely different strategy when it comes to attacking the back. Marcelo uses a lot of seated wrestling and the crucifix to take the back. Cobrinha uses a lot of inverted attacks and top side chair sits to take the back.

They're both always on the offensive and are incredibly fun to watch. True masters of the game.
    Correction- Cobrinha is amazing, but Marcelo has an equal if not better gi record than him.

Marcelo is also a 4 time Blackbelt world champ, but he has also won worlds as a Blue, Purple, and Brown belt.

Quote Originally Posted by kying418 View Post
    Correction- Cobrinha is amazing, but Marcelo has an equal if not better gi record than him.

Marcelo is also a 4 time Blackbelt world champ, but he has also won worlds as a Blue, Purple, and Brown belt.
    True, and I know Marcelo is a 4x World Champ. I'm not necessarily comparing their records. Marcelo hasn't had a performance in the Mundials where he never had a point or even an advantage scored on him like Cobrinha. The only person to ever beat Cobrinha at his own weight is Rafael Mendes.

Look, Marcelo Garcia is my favorite of all time. I think he's the most exciting grappler to ever live and I think he's the most gifted grappler to ever live. I much prefer no-gi over gi, so I really don't want to argue about Marcelo and Cobriha's gi records. They're both fucking ridiculous, and Marcelo is 90% favored in my eyes to snag another Gold at the Mundials and ADCC this year. Cobrinha MAY do ADCC, but is definitely not doing the Worlds. It's all Alliance man. It's all family. I din't want to argue about two guys in the family. We both know that watching Cobrinha in the gi at the Worlds from 2006-2009 was like Watching Marcelo Garcia rip through ADCC from 03-07 and even 2009 until that last second where Pablo passed.

That's the comparison I was trying to make. When people think of Alliance, they think of Cobrinha in a gi and Marcelo in a black rashguard. That shit's iconic man.

In fact, I thought Marcelo Garcia's showing last year (2010) was fucking amazing. His two back-to-back N/S chokes, and man...that match with Murilo Sanata was easily one of the top 3 most entertaining matches of the tournament. Murilo is so slept on. Taking aside the Murlo match, where Marcelo got out of that ridiculous inverted DLR to back transition, the fact that he got two N/S chokes using the same pass, the same set-up, on two guys back-to-back, that saw it coming and couldn't stop it? Floored. Absolutely floored.

Do you know Mike Mysorewala? I'm sure you do. I'll link this match so others can see the greatness of the Marcelo style guillotine? There are some beasts that train at your gym. I did a seminar with Paul S. and it was incredible.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123