Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    The blood flow is usually just slowed down. If it is completely shut off, your brain can still function ( depending on your physical properties) on stored oxygen. When this oxygen starts to run out, the brain shuts the lights off, I guess in order to make the most out of the remaining oxygen. You can use your arms and legs, during that brief period of time where no blood is going in to your brain but you did not pass out yet. Given enough time you will pass out.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Elton View Post
    why is it that when u get put in a choke that stops thw blood flow u cant breathe but u can still move and use the rest of your body.
    When its a perfect blood choke, they can actually breath fine but the blood just stops the blood flow to the brain and they pass out. The most common statement I have heard from dudes that got choked out was, "What happened? I thought I could breathe just fine."

Most chokes have weird angles and it's usually a varying combination of a blood and/or windpipe choke. Like I said, after awhile it gets obvious. The windpipe choke is a pinching compression where you feel the walls of your throat touching each other. The blood choke is more like a pressure increase in your skull... and when it's released you might be lucky enough to see white silver glinting trails dancing in front of your face.

Array

School
    CSW Fullerton, CA

might help u out...

Array

School
    Rōnin
    air chokes are still awesome even thou they are more damaging then blood chokes so the solution would be to only do them 30% in tarring and in a real fight who cares if you give the guy a shore throat.

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester; 10th Planet St. Paul
    The shortest version of the story is: don't let your ego tell you when to tap.

We're built at a very base level to know when we are in danger. Our bodies are chock full of sensors to tell us when bad shit is happening to us. Listen to those and you'll be fine. Tap early, tap often, come back tomorrow and have fun again. Soon enough you'll be tapping less and start tapping others. That's an important part of learning -- knowing when you're caught. Chokes are ironically the safest techniques in jiu jitsu. At the absolute worst, you go to sleep for a few seconds and wonder what the fuck happened and why everybody is chuckling. That's not true of joint locks and compressions. You wait too long to tap on a crush or a heel hook and your shit is destroyed and you're out for weeks or months.

Array

School
    Serra BJJ
    I dont ever planning on holding it long enough to get choked out
    And besides ive noticed ive been getting thrown around for like 6th months in my classes cuz i dont know shit when am i gonna learn anything? I feel like im only using defense and no offense in all my roles and i still get subbed which kills my confidence in going back
    Every time you get tapped, find out what it was that got you and learn the counter, that way you've got the offense and the defense. Your never gonna learn anything with a bad attitude. Instead of saying "I've been getting thrown around bc idk shit" make the extra effort, drop your ego and say "I'm gonna learn mad shit, so I don't get thrown around" everyone gets thrown around a little in the beginning. Spend as much extra time rolling as you can, learn as much as possible from your fellow training partners. Watch the higher belts roll, if you get the chance, roll with them too. The more learning you do outside of the structured class the better.

Array

School
    Serra BJJ
    The Arm Triangle from guard was my go to in my first few months of training, I learned it from BJ Penn's book on the Closed Guard. This videos not bad, I don't recommend the second choke he does, it's more of a neck crank.

Array

School
    Huntsville Jiu Jitsu
    Talk to your instructor about how you are feeling, he should address it.

Jiu Jitsu can be a very frustrating venture, but its the guys that stick with it, that become champions.

Array

School
    On the search
    Im not wprried i just dont like rolling with idiots that are new and think they are bad ass snd only go for rear naked choke
    MTS 6: Bow to Your Sensei with special attention to "Marcelo with One Hook Scrape Defense (10:08)" Get your back defense tight. Then check out MTS 3: Can't We All Just Get Along? with special attention to "Marcelo Pass to Dan Severn (15:25)" and start taking fools backs like crazy. I love these transitions. The one hook scrape defense is huge. All you need is one hook off. Turn that hook into the top hook and throw the hip. Side control, spin to the over under and Dan Severn the shit out of them.

Array

School
    Kalgoorlie :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Martin View Post
    he's packed on the pounds huh

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12