Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford

mma top 10 pound for pound!!!

1. Anderson Silva (1): Silva has so thoroughly cleaned out the middleweight division that everyone is talking about putting him in a superfight against the champion of another weight class. If that's what happens, I'd rather see Silva take on Jones than take on Georges St. Pierre. As the best fighter in the sport, Silva should test himself by taking on a bigger opponent, not a smaller opponent.

2. Georges St Pierre (2): The upcoming fight with Jake Shields is a great example of how we've all just come to expect consistent greatness from GSP: Shields is a terrific fighter who's riding a 15-fight winning streak, and yet it's hard to find anyone who really thinks Shields has much of a chance. We can practically hear Bruce Buffer announcing that all three judges scored the fight 50-45 for St. Pierre right now. That's just what's assume of GSP these days.

3. Jon Jones (9): Is it too soon to put Jones up this high? I don't think so. Not after the way he destroyed a legend in Shogun. Not after the way he's dominated everyone he's faced, from Ryan Bader to Vladimir Matyushenko to Brandon Vera and even Matt Hamill in the fight Jones lost by disqualification. Jones isn't just winning, he's winning like Secretariat in the Belmont. No one at 205 pounds is close.

4. Jose Aldo (3): The featherweight division is arguably the UFC's weakest, and that means it's a little tough to gauge Aldo against the champions of the deeper weight classes. But he's been spectacular so far, building up an 18-1 record at age 24, and I expect him to whip Mark Hominick at UFC 129.

5. Dominick Cruz (5): Cruz has a 17-1 record and only a couple of those 17 wins have even been close. So there's no arguing with what he's accomplished in the sport so far. However, the one loss is to Urijah Faber, who will now challenge Cruz for the bantamweight belt. We'll find out in the rematch whether Cruz has improved enough since losing to Faber in 2007 to really be considered one of the sport's elite, or whether Faber will be back on the pound-for-pound list.

6. Frank Edgar (6): It's amazing how much the lightweight division in MMA has changed in the last year. Before Edgar beat B.J. Penn in April of 2010, the lightweight class was viewed as fairly weak, with Penn head and shoulders above the rest. Now it's viewed as a shark tank full of challenges, with a long line of contenders already in the UFC, coming to the UFC from the WEC or (eventually) coming to the UFC from Strikeforce. But one thing that hasn't changed since April is that Edgar is at the head of the class.

7. Gray Maynard (7): First in line for Edgar's belt is Maynard, who fought him to a draw in January and gets a rematch in May. Maynard has a great chance of dethroning Edgar, but if he loses he'll spend the rest of his career kicking himself for failing to finish Edgar in the first round of their classic New Year's Day fight.

8. Cain Velasquez (8): The king of the heavyweights remains out of commission, awaiting a bout with the Brock Lesnar-Junior dos Santos winner, likely in the fall.

9. Joseph Benavidez (10): Having now moved from the WEC to the UFC, Benavidez just keeps winning, taking a unanimous decision over Ian Loveland at UFC 128. Benavidez is 14-2, with the only two losses coming to Cruz, even though he's fighting in a weight class above where he should be. I still maintain that the UFC needs to start a 125-pound flyweight division, and that if that ever happens Benavidez will reign as the division's champion. For now, he's just below championship-caliber, while consistently fighting bigger opponents.

10. Jon Fitch (NR): After a controversial draw with B.J. Penn in February, Fitch will get a chance to finish things in their rematch in July. I thought he deserved to win the first fight, and I think he'll beat Penn more convincingly the second time around and show that even if he can't beat St. Pierre, he's better than anyone else at 170 pounds

Array

School
    Aspiring 10th Planet Fans/Alpha Tae Kwon Do
    ditto

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    I think you are a bit too high on Jon Jones and too low on Jose Aldo and Cain Velasquez. I mean you may be right, and over the next 2-3 fights Jon Jones may prove you correct, however the only information we have right at this moment is who Jon Jones has beat and beating ryan bader and shogun rua who has been submitted by Forrest Griffin and had 2 knee surgeries in 3 years does not put you on top 3 pound for pound. As I said earlier though, Jones may crush evans+ rampage and a regurgitated griffin in amazing fashions in the near future and prove you correct, unfortunately we do not have that information available to us at this moment.

Array

School
    Moores Shou Shu
    Minot, ND -> Traveling with the Air Force
    This is a tricky list to compile with the addition of the WEC fighters...and the seeming drop off in talent after title holders. Undisputed though I would have Andersen, GSP, Aldo, and Jones. Edgar would be in there as of late, and I would probably group in Faber and Bennevidez. The heavyweights are tricky...it seems any man can win on his night. Also what about the other affiliations...as well Jake Shields should probably be on the list for his wall of accomplishment, at least until his showing vs. GSP.

tricky tricky...but the tight competetion is good for MMA, even if the title holders may be just that for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyK5 View Post
    I think you are a bit too high on Jon Jones and too low on Jose Aldo and Cain Velasquez. I mean you may be right, and over the next 2-3 fights Jon Jones may prove you correct, however the only information we have right at this moment is who Jon Jones has beat and beating ryan bader and shogun rua who has been submitted by Forrest Griffin and had 2 knee surgeries in 3 years does not put you on top 3 pound for pound.
    It doesnt matter about the surgery, Shogun said he was 100% and had ample time to recover, plus, knocking out Lyoto was a great win for Shogun, and to have Jones just dominate him like that should def. give Jones a nod to the top ten, if not the top 5.

Array

School
    Rocha BJJ / Gracie Humaita

Plagiarism

You should really mention it when you copy/paste somebody else's P4P top 10, complete with word for word copies of the reasons why. Michael David Smith posted this yesterday: http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/03/2...-jones-surges/ If I am misinterpreting something, my bad, but it seems pretty clearly to be his. Maybe you just forgot to cite it?

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox!
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Evans View Post
    You should really mention it when you copy/paste somebody else's P4P top 10, complete with word for word copies of the reasons why. Michael David Smith posted this yesterday: http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/03/2...-jones-surges/ If I am misinterpreting something, my bad, but it seems pretty clearly to be his. Maybe you just forgot to cite it?
    Since when is it plagiarism to copy a news article onto a forum? He never claimed it was written by him... give the kid a break.

Array

School
    10th Planet Van Nuys
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Glach View Post
    Since when is it plagiarism to copy a news article onto a forum? He never claimed it was written by him... give the kid a break.
    Well then he should learn that if you write something down using your account on a forum and do not say anything about where you got that information, it is automatically assumed that it is written by you. Proper way of handling this would be, such and such claim that the top 10 is ... and I agree with them. If not, then write your own top 10 and your reasons behind it. I am sure he did not do it on purpose and it is not that big of a deal, but there is nothing wrong with learning proper citation.

Array

School
    10th Planet Fort Lauderdale Hotbox!
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyK5 View Post
    Well then he should learn that if you write something down using your account on a forum and do not say anything about where you got that information, it is automatically assumed that it is written by you. Proper way of handling this would be, such and such claim that the top 10 is ... and I agree with them. If not, then write your own top 10 and your reasons behind it. I am sure he did not do it on purpose and it is not that big of a deal, but there is nothing wrong with learning proper citation.
    Lol come on man, this isn't a legal memo or anything, it's a jiu jitsu forum, and if I recall correctly, Emir is something like 13 years old? People seem to be very quick to attack him on here and a lot of the time I think it's uncalled for, so someone's gotta stand up for the youngster. So he forgot to list the URL, or maybe he didn't even think to list the URL, either way, what's the difference? Let him be. (im not trying to start shit, just being forthright)

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    What's that? We all love Jiu Jitsu? Awesome! =D

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast