Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mat Hygiene

Mat Hygiene

I know there has been discussions about personal hygiene but I'm wondering about the mats specifically. What cleaning products do you use that works best to clean your mats? Thanks!

Array

School
    10th Planet Portland
    I don't know what most people use on the mats, but in the tattoo shop we have to use products on our surfaces that list "germicidal, fungicidal, bactericidal and virucidal" and most importantly "Tuberculocidal " that usually covers all the previous ones. The product still has to sit on the surface for 5-10 minutes to be effective, then can be cleaned off. A Bleach solution is also effective, but im not sure what it would do to the mats over time.

Either way i like to shower before class, and again as soon as i get home, thats about all i can do on my end.

Array

School
    KCBJJ
    Maybe somebody should invent a mascot actually named "Mat Hygene" who's like a spray bottle cartoon guy in a gi?

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    Maybe somebody should invent a mascot actually named "Mat Hygene" who's like a spray bottle cartoon guy in a gi?
    Perhaps an "Instant Hygiene" spray system in every school?

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul
    I roll with a kid named Matt Byrne. (burn)
    lol
    Also, I read a study recently where they tried to cultivate the different germs/fungi on actual mat surfaces and they really had very little to no luck getting anything to grow so this would lead me to believe that while cleaning your mats is important it's far more valuable to not roll with questionable people and to shower right when you get home...just my two cents.

Array

School
    10th Planet St. Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by AJ Camacho View Post
    ^^^

Array

School
    10th planet Peterborough
    Its true, my Dr. told me that almost all things like Staph and ring worm are skin to skin and die on matts. They need a living surface to grow. Staph specifically is almost like a flesh eating disease and actually needs the flesh to survive. staph is on all of us in low concentrations and its when it gets into a cut or open wound and multiplies that it is bad. So have a shower and keep clean .. dont be a dirt bag Soap goes a long way
    Stewart Landry
    Head Instructor 10th Planet Peterborough

Array

School
    10th planet Peterborough
    But also clean your matts ... who wants to roll on somethin that smells like a dirty crotch
    Stewart Landry
    Head Instructor 10th Planet Peterborough

Array

School
    Delaware Barbell Club & Fitness BJJ
    sometimes ya get dudes that are too cheap to buy gear and roll in thier dirty clothes , stinky sweats or poopie pajamas smelling like mildew it sucks ..our school cleans the mats well thats for sure

Array

School
    10th Planet Eugene
    Serioulsy , check out a product called Defense Soap , they offer all sorts of hygenie & anti stuff. Its not only soap, but body wipes & foam and barrier, etc.. Its all natural also...If you interetsed get a hold of Nathan Wallner on the 10th Planet Eugene site... I use the soap when i get home from grappling..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast