16 45.71%
  • Gracie

19 54.29%
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Gene on Bruce:

"I met Bruce Lee on the set of the Green Hornet when the stunt coordinator Benny Dobbins called me and told me he needed me to take some falls. He also mentioned there was a guy there named Bruce Lee who was unbelievably athletic and stealing all the scenes from the star because he was doing ALL the fighting. Benny said he couldn't believe this guy, he was kicking like a jumping bean! You have to understand; they had never seen anything like Bruce Lee s fighting style in showbiz yet.

"When I got to the set Benny pointed Bruce out and told me to go put him in a headlock or something Well, I m a good employee and I always listen to the boss, so I went over to grab Bruce and he starts making all those crazy noises he became famous for. As a joke, I picked him up and put him on my shoulder in a fireman's carry kind of thing, then I ran down the length of the set and back again. Bruce says "put me down or I'll kill you". So I run down the set again and he says, "put me down" and I say "I can't put you down or you'll kill me". After that I sat down and talked to my boss and the other crew members for a couple minutes with him up on my shoulder. He finally crawled off, we all had a good laugh, and we went and shot our scenes.

"Bruce called me for a few shows because he liked the way I took falls for him - being a judo man made me pretty good at breakfalls. We ended up becoming friends and would work out together and teach each other techniques. I liked working out with Bruce, but I kept getting sick from that stinky incense he burned in his gym. I told him I wouldn't go there because his dojo smelled worse than a Chinese laundry house. Of course, I was only kidding with him, and once Bruce learned that my teasing was all in good fun he started to joke around too. Bruce came to my dojo after that. He was a great guy, and I loved him.

"Bruce loved to learn grappling, he ate it up! He said that people would never go for it in movies or TV because the fights are over too fast and most of the good stuff was hidden from view. He said they wanted to see fancy kicking, acrobatics, and weapons -- he was a savvy showman who knew how to give 'em exactly what they wanted. I wish he could be around now to see how well grappling is doing these days. I remember one time he kicked me really hard. I remember thinking it was a good thing he only wore a size 6 shoe instead of a 14 like me, otherwise that kick would have sent me to China! He was strong for his size, lemme tell ya.

"He used to take me to these authentic Chinese restaurants that had really weird looking food that I just couldn t bring myself to eat it. I don't eat anything that doesn't have horns. He used to tease me about it - which was progress because he used to get offended at my ribbing when we first started hanging out (especially that Chinese laundry bit). He had two students that I remain good friends with to this day, probably because they don't make me eat that weird food. Danny Inosanto, who is every bit as good as Bruce was if not better, and Richard Bustillo. Richard has carried on Bruce's philosophy of cross training and peak physical condition in order to become the best fighter you can.

"I miss both Bruce and Brandon and wish they were still around today."
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    10th Planet Rochester
    Gene on Chuck:

Chuck Norris "Borrows" Gene's Black Belt
    Story By Gene LeBell as told to Ray Normandin

"Many years ago, one of the first times I worked out with Chuck Norris was in the gymnasium at Los Angeles City College. Chuck had come in ready for a workout and I noticed he was wearing a white belt. I thought to my self, "that Chuck Norris is a black belt in his system and he is very well respected, what the heck is he doing in a white belt?"

"In my schools or wherever I teach, I strongly advocate cross training. I believe if a martial artist comes in, especially a black belt, he or she can teach their techniques to other people that might want to learn some of their moves. In my opinion, if a person is actually a black belt, I feel they should wear their black belt even if they are not training in the style they are trying to learn. Now if that person were afraid of getting beat up, then they would wear a white belt to throw any accomplished black belt off. However, Chuck Norris is a modest man, he is not braggadocios, so he wore his white belt and I said to him, "Hey Chuck, you wear a black belt don't you?" Chuck replied back, " I didn't bring a black belt with me". So I decided to give him one of my black belts with my name on it. You know, "Gene LeBell."

"We worked out and had a great time. When we finished and it came time for us to leave, I was sitting there waiting for my black belt back and (*) Chuck takes it with him. I knew then how much Chuck Norris wanted to be just like me!!! I went up to Chuck's dear friend, Bob Wall, who was also training with us, and said "Gee, Chuck took my belt". Bob replied, "Well, that is tough, that's what he does to ugly guys".

"The next thing I knew Chuck was doing a movie in Houston, Texas called "Sidekicks". I believe Chuck was rehearsing with Bob Wall and wearing a karate gi and my black belt. A dozen young kids eventually saw that Chuck was wearing "my" belt and said out loud, "Why is Mr. Norris, wearing a black belt with someone else's name on it?" Bob Wall told me, he told the kid's, "The only way to wear another man's belt is to kill him in a death match".

"Bob called me on my cell phone and said, "Gene it seems that in Houston, Texas; you're a dead man". It seems that I can't go to Texas and work on any more movies or anything else and to top it all off, Chuck still has my black belt to this day. In fact, there is a great picture of Chuck Norris and Bob Wall standing back to back in their karate gis and Chuck is wearing my black belt in the picture.

"During this time, I had the opportunity to see Chuck Norris in all his karate glory. Chuck was having dinner with three of his friends. After a wonderful dining experience, the check was delivered to the table. Of course, each man went for the check to the pay the balance of the meal. However, Chuck would have nothing to do with this. He wanted to pay the check himself and wouldn't take no for an answer. Well, the other three men wouldn't take no for an answer either, so Chuck had to fight them for the check. With a few artfully placed kicks and throws, he threw one guy over his shoulder. Chuck did the famous "Chuck Norris Spinning Back Kick" to the second guy. The third and fourth guys, he took out at the same time with a well placed combination of a round kick and a spinning back fist, it was as if Chuck had forgotten that this was real life and not a movie. No man from the table was left standing and Mr. Norris paid the bill. Many of Chuck's friends call him by his given name, Carlos; most people call him Chuck Norris or Mr. Norris. However, if you are dining with Chuck Norris, you had better be quick with the cash or remember his real name, which stems from his manners at the dinner table, "Check Norris".

"Let me get serious for a moment, in the movie business there is a pecking order. That order is extra, production assistant, second A.D., first A.D., and all the way up to the top. Chuck Norris is at the Top; he is a producer, a director, an actor and a star. However, Chuck will talk to an extra or stuntman like they are his equals. Chuck Norris is modest and humble. I have heard Chuck say, "Oh, anybody can beat me, I just get out there and have fun" which isn't actually so. I have seen Chuck work out and he works harder than anyone I have ever seen at perfecting his art. He puts on great seminars and is very attentive to the needs of his students. I have put on my share of seminars and have taken off my belt only to have someone run off with my belt and even my gi top. Who thought Chuck Norris would be the next guy to take off without giving me back my black belt, go figure!

"This time I will be serious; Chuck Norris is an outstanding martial artist, a great actor, a good friend and a class act!"

Gene LeBell

*Chuck did not really steal Gene's belt. Gene insisted that Chuck take it to wear the next time he came to the dojo. Chuck has stated he considers it an honor to have been given the belt and he wears it as a sign of respect. The above story is stated for humor's sake. Gene also says that the reports of his death are greatly exaggerated.
    Check out my instructional website:www.zogipedia.com

Head Coach 10th Planet Jiu Jitsu Rochester www.10thplanetjiujitsurochester.com

Array

School
    Peter De Been Caroline Springs
    well, knowing that the gracies chickened out on fighting Benny Urquidez once they found out that he trained with gene lebell, it wouldnt be surprising if the same thing happened, if they challenged bruce lee...

Array

School
    Any No-Gi Schools on Earth (that will let me roll 20th Centery Style)
    Quote Originally Posted by Frank W. Zellers View Post
    bruce died in 73 that being said I don't believe he had any contact with the gracie's because the gracie challenge was not until 1980. Tho bruce was known to talk to martial artist from all over he could have, but I haven't seen any evidence of this.

The "gracie challenge" was put out by Helio & Carlos Gracie back in and around 1940s/50s. Not In the 80s!! Christ Helio had grandchildren by then he was of such an age. (and begun JJ at 16years old).
    Back on point, i think it would of been interesting. Bruce Lee had great ground skills, (some can even be seen being used in films like Enter The Dragon (armbar on Boloyung) and also Game of death (the parts he was in anyway)!! If one of the Gracies managed to close the distance and take him down, i belive it would only be a matter of time till Bruce went sleep. (Then he would of learned everything about BJJ and become a serious threat to the world!! lol.

Array

School
    Team Shark
    You know what I find funny? bruce lee fans point out how fast he took out someone who challenged to a fight on a movie set (stuntman of course), and yet magically there's no video? I mean, he's a movie star. On a movie set. Getting into a challenge match with a stuntman...and there's no recording at all???

Yeah, I know what I smell.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Carey View Post
    You know what I find funny? bruce lee fans point out how fast he took out someone who challenged to a fight on a movie set (stuntman of course), and yet magically there's no video? I mean, he's a movie star. On a movie set. Getting into a challenge match with a stuntman...and there's no recording at all???

Yeah, I know what I smell.
    Yeah that's true ... And know what I think? .... I think they have some pretty good topics in this forum ... As much as a Bruce Fan I am ... I'll give it to the Gracie's ... We've got loads of footage of Gracie's beating striking instructors, and what does Bruce Lee have? ... Stories ...

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford
    Quote Originally Posted by John Flores View Post
    Yeah that's true ... And know what I think? .... I think they have some pretty good topics in this forum ... As much as a Bruce Fan I am ... I'll give it to the Gracie's ... We've got loads of footage of Gracie's beating striking instructors, and what does Bruce Lee have? ... Stories ...
    I dont understand why so many people would lie for bruce lee?

Array

School
    10th Planet Ronin
    Quote Originally Posted by Emir Mehovic View Post
    I dont understand why so many people would lie for bruce lee?
    Well...It all boils down to love, and respect...Like lets say your a kid, and your dad has some Karate knowledge, and you've seen him break a couple boards...As a kid, or as someone with a great amount of respect for someone your going to embellish the tale, and say, "Oh my dads so strong, this one time, he broke like 20 boards with one punch!!" When in reality, it was like 3 or 4. Same goes for Bruce, and his fans ... "He can lift this much, or he can fly, and no way dude the other day I saw him walking on water, and talking to Jesus." ... Bruce was good, no doubt, but its just his friends love him so much to embellish his stories.. I got in a fight once in high school, and we brawled for a bit, and I hit him like 4 times before he went down, and my friends always keep telling everyone I dodged his swing, and lay'd him out with one hit...Same concept...Sorry if I'm going on, and on, I'm just trying to give some examples.

And uh...Chuck Norris Jokes are the same thing...Well.....They're all true, but you know what I mean.

Array

School
    10th Planet Hartford
    I think it would only take a few punches before a gracie would get knocked the fuck out!

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    Bruce Lee...via Kick to the Face.

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112