Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Array

School
    GZ Fight Systems Bridgeport WV/Former10th Planet Morgantown

Training with bigger stronger opponents

During training I have no problem in training or even competing against larger or stronger opponents. The problem is at the end of class when you roll and you do 5 minute rounds how do you effectively use Jiu Jitsu Technique when the larger stronger opponent is constantly using muscle to hold you down and not use much technique, most of the larger guys I train with are excellent at using technique and actually not muscling through moves but there are a few that just want to use full on muscle for 5 minutes roll for 2 rounds and then be completely gassed and sit on the side till they leave......HOW do you combat this situation? any suggestions would be appreciated. This is the same type of guy that will hold you in closed guard for 3 minutes and not try and advance. It gets very aggravating!

Array

School
    joe hurst jiu jitsu undercover 10thp charlotte
    mess with thier base ..i am thnking that ur playing open guard,buterfly or some postin bc they are bigger so when they come at u engaged and disengaged ..also, try pushing thier knee out from underthem for arm drags..

Array

School
    10th Planet Pasadena
    Nick Diaz strategy: Talk shit to them until they get flustered enough to make a mistake. A few examples:
    "If I was as big as you are I'd be resting in my guard too"
    "You know, they have cardio classes available here as well"
    "(fake falling asleep, then abruptly wake up) Whoa-what? we're still rolling? I got so bored I took a nap"
    And so on and so forth.

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    If you have a specific question instead of "how do you beat big guys?" you'll get better answers.

I don't like closed guard for big guys. You can't teach gravity. Learn other techniques from other positions and go for your techniques decisively and confidently. The other thing is that it is hard to have a smashing top game against big guys because they can often just through you off of them. Go for the light flowing top game. Also, learn how to get to turtle when he is passing your guard so that you can scramble to a more favorable position... and chokes. If the guy's arm is bigger than your thigh... choke him.

Array

School
    credit to E.Mays & N.Coleman
    I have this same problem. But it is only when I am in half guard, one of my 355 lb partners sits on me and tries to suffocate me with his stomach when he gets tired. Double underhooks doen't do much because his base is so wide. So i just shrimp into guard.

once I am in guard and he's not doing shit, I practice my squeezing, so I make sure both of my legs rest right under his ribcage and I squeeze hard enough to make them move. Chances are if they are that tired this makes it hard for them to breathe, so they'll try to move you... BOOM arm is trapped and Im ready to go from new york

Dont listen to what anybody here says
    U know damn well u can only beat en if ure years ahead of em in technique
    Or you are just as strong

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    How do you take out guys 10 times more skilled and 10 times stronger and faster than you? =D

Array

School
    searching
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A select start ....?

Array

School
    Carlson Gracie Miami/10P Miami/Ft. Laud Hotbox remnant
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Bunten View Post
    ↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A select start ....?
    I was thinking

360+P for a Zangief special. Come to think of it, if there isn't one already, there should totally be a jiu jitsu or sambo move called the Zangief.

Array

School
    blank
    Just look at jeff glover, he destroys guys way bigger than him with his movement, doesn't stay in any position for very long. There is a video of him against a guy who is like 300 lbs.

I'm sure you could find it if interested. I think it was in grappler's quest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast