Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Array

School
    Serra BJJ
    A black belt at my gym suggested to lift afterward.

Array

School
    Head instructor 10th Planet Mobile
    Plyo, bodyweight excercises, and focusing on clenching while drilling or rolling is all i do. No weights and i am strong for my weight.

Array

School
    RCJ Machado jiu jitsu (Rio Rancho)
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby rivers View Post
    Plyo, bodyweight excercises, and focusing on clenching while drilling or rolling is all i do. No weights and i am strong for my weight.
    I have been doing Piyo which is also very good for my strength and streching. I may just be me over doing it ,and not letting the body rest enough.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Stolfi View Post
    A black belt at my gym suggested to lift afterward.
    interesting may give that a try and see how that goes.

Landon DuMar

I lift on off days when I can, but I often lift before training. If you have no other time to do it, you'll eventually get used to it. When I lift heavy and train, I feel the most strong. Just keep up the good work, you will get used to it. Everyone has their own opinion of what is best to do as seen above, but if you've been lifting and lifting heavy, don't stop. You will lose weight and strength, and be pissed. Keep doing both.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Landon DuMar View Post
    I lift on off days when I can, but I often lift before training. If you have no other time to do it, you'll eventually get used to it. When I lift heavy and train, I feel the most strong. Just keep up the good work, you will get used to it. Everyone has their own opinion of what is best to do as seen above, but if you've been lifting and lifting heavy, don't stop. You will lose weight and strength, and be pissed. Keep doing both.
    Thanks I was hoping that this would happen. I think after a month or 2 it may get easier. I HOPE!

listen to your body. if you go straight into lifting and doing jitz your body will not be able to handle the shock put on it. I use to lift and do jitz (and sometimes muy thai) the same day at age 19 and I saw no gains in muscle mass or strength, regardless of how much protein and carbs I took in. You are 46. I actually make fairly significant gains in strength when I seperate lifting days and jitz.

If you do jitz 5 days a week, then I suggest setting aside 2 days during that week to do a full body workout 6 hours before or 6 hours after your jitz. This will allow your body to recover between workouts and will prevent overtraining. make sure you take in adequate carbs and protein between workouts.

Unless you are on some kind of testosterone therapy, or are Randy Couture (who is most likely on test therapy) I would not recommend lifting and doing jitz the same day, unless you do jitz 5 days a week in which case you don't really have a choice.

Wat if u hit puberty at 12 and have been shaving since 12? Wud u recommend lifting and jits like 4 times a week?

Array

School
    Team Quest Redding
    Think about periodizing your training. I.E. (for example) take several months to lift hard and roll with less intensity during that period, then switch it around. Cardio is more labile than maximum strength - conditioning fades fast, strength relatively slowly. Once you're as strong as you want to be it should take significantly less work to just maintain it, and you can focus on other attributes. For my money, don't try to do everything at once. $0.02c.

Array

School
    Quote Originally Posted by Elisha James Baker View Post
    Think about periodizing your training. I.E. (for example) take several months to lift hard and roll with less intensity during that period, then switch it around. Cardio is more labile than maximum strength - conditioning fades fast, strength relatively slowly. Once you're as strong as you want to be it should take significantly less work to just maintain it, and you can focus on other attributes. For my money, don't try to do everything at once. $0.02c.
    I agree that conditioning fades fast.This may be the way to go. I am thinking more twards this way of training. I am also thinking of just lifting on the off days. The thing is I am a cardio nut so that is also not a issue. I want to be strong on the weights and be good at jiu jitsu so I have to find a balance. I think I will figure it out soon. Thanks to everyone for the help and advice.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast