Thread: sleep apnea

sleep apnea

has any one else got this and what is the sleep study like i need more info its fucking up my life

Array

School
    On the search
    Sleep study is just annoying but it's worth it to see how badly you sleep. Most-likely more then a few people have sleep apnea on this forum. Most of the people that have it probably don't even know it. After the study doctors may advise using a BiPAP machine. That machine is pretty annoying to sleep with but it will improve how you sleep once you get use to it. It can also aide in weight loss and improve your general health (mental and physical).

Here's a youtube video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lX_mr...eature=related They blatantly lie in the beginning when they say it's comfortable. How can it be comfortable with all of those wires? But it is a worth while study to improve your sleep.

If you follow Eddie's twitter I'm pretty sure he just went through a sleep study.

Array

School
    10th Planet Springfield MO
    Sleep study sucks, the mask sucks, the machine sucks. I lost a bunch of weight and that has helped a lot but Ive had sleep apnea my whole life. It runs in my family and my mom and my 10 year old has it too. I had a CPAP for awhile but I could never get use to it. I heard there was some surgery that you could get that helps but Ive never looked into it.

Array

School
    10th Planet Ventura
    I have sleep apnea and I know a couple of other guys in Tenth Planet do as well (and there's a few more probably undiagnosed). While sleep apnea is commonly associated with middle-aged overweight people, it also hits athletic types with muscular necks (like people who are constantly fending off darces and what not).

Obstructive sleep apnea is when the muscles of your throat collapse, blocking your airway. You wake yourself up (even if you don't realize it) and this disrupts your sleep cycle so you don't get the proper rest. This is often associated with snoring. There's also central sleep apnea and that has something to do with the brain. Anything that disrupts your sleep can impact your health in a number of ways. At the least your energy levels decrease and in extreme circumstances you could have a heart attack or a stroke. So take it seriously, you could be adding years to your life and drastically improving the quality of those years.

The sleep test is basically an overnight stay at a clinic where you sleep with wires attached to your head and your nose to monitor your breathing. The sleep doctor will make a diagnosis based on the results. If you have a very mild case, they might just tell you to start sleeping on your side. If you have a mild to medium case, they may offer you a mouth guard that will push your jaw forward so your throat can't collapse. The surgery is an option but the muscles grow back so it's not as favored (at least, I think that's why they aren't so hot on it). Severe cases need the mask and machine.

If you are offered the mask and machine, ask about the mouth guard option. I was offered the mask but requested the mouth guard. The doctor agreed that would do in my case and it's worked great. The problem with mask and machine that forces oxygen into your lungs is that you're unlikely to get laid unless you hang out at a Stars Wars convention and look for chicks with a thing for Darth Vader (or if you are married).

Don't assume you don't have an energy problem. It's kind of like glasses. You don't realize you have a problem until you see what the rest of the world sees.

I also have narcolepsy. God just really wants me to take naps and I'm cool with that.

Array

School
    10th Planet Omaha
    I have sleep apnea. Good advice on this thread. One more thing to add: I have trouble falling asleep. When I got my first sleep study, they hooked me up to all of these wires and then wanted me to sleep. I have enough trouble falling asleep in my own bed. I didn't sleep at all that night and the study was wasted. I had to schedule a new one. I called and asked the nurse if I could take anything to help me sleep. She said 50-100mg of benadryl was fine. I slept like a baby for the second sleep study and got some good data. So, if you have trouble falling asleep you should ask the nurse if you can take something.

Also, Joe Rogan suffers from sleep apnea and recommends a special mouthpiece made by a dentist named Dr. Keropian, in Tarzana, CA. I looked into it a little but it's really expensive. If you have money, this may be worth checking out.